Bills Are 18th Best Fans in America

Sure...most of these places would not even have a team left due to lack of fan support if they had to go through what we have been through over the last 17 years.  It's really easy to go to games when the team is good. It's really easy to fill stadiums with 10K seats fewer than ours where there are in some cases 20+ times the population(Chicago).

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

my daughter was looking at going to Emory last year...glad she did not,  obviously peopled  entirely by dumb people!

None of my kids are going to Emory after this ridiculous ranking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

By his metrics I feel as if the Bills are getting dinged for their overall population and the economy of the region. 

I can can tell you that the Falcons don’t belong anywhere above the Bills in a true fan poll. The only exception is for the fact that the prices for tickets are extremely costly at the Benz. Not to mention PSL’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

Perennial winners have good fans.  What's impressive about the Bills mafia is how loyal and rabid we are despite the drought and an all-time win percentage of something like .471.

I have a lot of respect for Steeler and Packer fans who are clearly passionate about their teams.  But how hard is it to support a winning organization?

A couple seasons ago, I watched a Bills game with the Bills Backers of Seattle and counted well over 100 fans in attendance all the way here on the other side of the continent.  Would Cowboy or Pats fans gather in droves like we do if their teams were perpetually irrelevant?  I don't think so.  

You can quantify team mania in different ways and produce different lists - but Bills fandom is qualitatively different.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a complicated subject actually.  So many variables to consider...  

For example, the Emory prof looks at spending.  Well, the per capita income in Buffalo is only about half of the per capita income in some of the bigger NFL markets.  Of course Buffalonians spend less.  It's an economic factor not a fandom factor.  I bet we spend more as a percentage of discretionary income - a fairer measure.

Then there's the market.  How do you quantify this?  The Bills only represent the greater Buffalo area.  The other half of the state is represented by those two teams in Jersey.  Teams like Seattle and Denver, on the other hand, each represent an entire state.  The New England Patriots represent several states.  So of course Pats fans spend more.  The draw fans from a bigger geographical, more populous area.

Think about this:  About 7% of the population of metro Buffalo is at the Ralph on a football Sunday.   In comparison, only about 2% of the Boston metro area is in Foxborough on Sundays - or about .5% of the New England region that the Pats represent.  If game attendance is a measure of fandom, it's easier to find someone who went to the game in Buffalo than in Boston/New England.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't know why people bother with these studies and get upset. These studies always are looking at brand, marketability, $ drivers, etc.. Bills fans in the sports world are known in the elitist of the elite for passion and loyalty. It showed really well after they made the playoffs and people went to the airport. We will never be super high even if we win a super bowl because we arent Dallas or NYC for example.

• Like (+1) 1

Go figure, top 5 teams have won a third of all Supper Bowls every played.

Look at the Bottom 10 teams, they won  6%.

then you have market size impact.  Look at the bottom, all small markets (sans Rams when they are in LA).  Then you factor in the socioeconomic disparities between the have and have nots.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2

I also think the Jets fans are much more rabid than are Gaint Fans.  Giants fans are typically more affluent,  white collar, very quiet, Jet fans are much more like Bills fans.

Jets haven't won a super bowl in 50 years, giants have won 4 since then.

List is a failure imo.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Bears 6 ?

Colts 11?

A more realistic assessment would be Bills between 6-11

Considering 99% of the human population has never heard of Emory University,  who cares?

Mellenies love their analytics....

Emory University is a well known, good school.

:lol:

:thumbdown:

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Hilarious..... Dolphins, Jets, Ravens Bears have better fans then he Bills??? Stop with the nonesense...

I wouldn't necessarily find any of those outrageous except Miami.

No way in hell, by any metric, Miami has better fans than Buffalo.  The Dolphins are just not an important part of the culture down there; too much stuff to do on a Sunday afternoon.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Hilarious..... Dolphins, Jets, Ravens Bears have better fans then he Bills??? Stop with the nonesense...

Better or richer? Too lazy to look at the methods behind this.

Edited by Paulus
  • Like (+1) 2