Brandon Beane: The Art of a Deal

The Art of a Deal

Bills GM Brandon Beane details how his deals were made

It was just about two o’clock in the afternoon on Halloween, two hours before the NFL trade deadline.  Bills’ general manager Brandon Beane’s phone rang.  On the other end was Carolina Panthers’ GM Marty Hurney, who wanted to revisit a conversation the two were having just the day before. 

Beane’s Bills were 5-2 and playing well.  Ending the organization’s 17-year playoff drought was looking more and more possible each week.  But to keep winning, Beane felt the team still needed to add another piece to their roster, especially at wide receiver since Jordan Matthews was just coming off a knee injury and there was still some uncertainty surrounding it.

• Like (+1) 6

Thanks for posting, Good read, i am not sure there is anything I learned just a lot of confirmation.  Beane knows and enjoys what he is doing, treats people the right way.  Speaks appropriate GM speak but does let you know a little inside.  I love these lines on Dareus,

"“Marcell has talent,” Beane recognized.  “We were really trying to get him to do things our way, every day.  And I thought he took strides, but I don't know that we were ever going to get him there.  So we just said, ‘let's see where it goes.’

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Thanks for posting, Good read, i am not sure there is anything I learned just a lot of confirmation.  Beane knows and enjoys what he is doing, treats people the right way.  Speaks appropriate GM speak but does let you know a little inside.  I love these lines on Dareus,

"“Marcell has talent,” Beane recognized.  “We were really trying to get him to do things our way, every day.  And I thought he took strides, but I don't know that we were ever going to get him there.  So we just said, ‘let's see where it goes.’

This is a very intelligent and thought out way to describe what happened with Marcell. I like how Beane recognizes the fact Marcell is talented and that the team tried to work with Marcell. In the end the Bills felt it would be better for the player and team to move in different directions. Talent is one piece of a player. 

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I wonder what Dareus took to heart to say these sort of things after being traded to the Jags. 

"The GM [Brandon Beane], if he walks to me, or the head coach [Sean McDermott], and tries to shake my hand, [I'll] act like I'm going to shake their hand and then be like, get out of here," Dareus told me Friday, miming a couple "too slow" moves near his locker.

"Head coach, GM -- f--- out of here. I ain't no f---boy. After all this, you're going to try to come shake my hand? Come on now. Don't try me. Don't do me like that. If you're going to do me like that, that's crazy."

33 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I wonder what Dareus took to heart to say these sort of things after being traded to the Jags. 

"The GM [Brandon Beane], if he walks to me, or the head coach [Sean McDermott], and tries to shake my hand, [I'll] act like I'm going to shake their hand and then be like, get out of here," Dareus told me Friday, miming a couple "too slow" moves near his locker.

"Head coach, GM -- f--- out of here. I ain't no f---boy. After all this, you're going to try to come shake my hand? Come on now. Don't try me. Don't do me like that. If you're going to do me like that, that's crazy."

Makes me glad we traded him.  I didn't know Dareus said that, obviously very disappointing.  I have some compassion for Dareus as he has had a brutal life and, and honestly isn't too bright.  But he brought it all on himself, not like he couldn't see it coming after some of the trades they had already done with Watkins, no player that wasn't on board no matter what the talent wasn't safe.  Trust the process.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Makes me glad we traded him.  I didn't know Dareus said that, obviously very disappointing.  I have some compassion for Dareus as he has had a brutal life and, and honestly isn't too bright.  But he brought it all on himself, not like he couldn't see it coming after some of the trades they had already done with Watkins, no player that wasn't on board no matter what the talent wasn't safe.  Trust the process.

Agreed.  it was well established that Dareus had drug abuse issues and lacked personal discipline.  He also seems to demonstrate an unwillingness to recognize that in signing a contract he has obligations to fulfill.  Maybe he's learned that since departing, or he may learn it some day.  I don't know.  I know from having to deal with persons like that - they typically project their own shortcomings on thosewith whom they are having difficulties as a way of avoiding the acceptance of responsibility.  It seems to be very hard for them to change.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

He likely thought he was too talented and highly-paid to ever be traded.  I'm sure it was a kick in the gut when they told him he was a turd and were moving him.  In any case, I doubt he cares and I doubt he'll ever be the player he looked like he could become prior to his extension, since he's set for life.

Edited by Doc

Once the Bills paid Dareus he seemed to be finished with football. It was almost like he received his severance pay. I think he got traded to the best team for Dareus. Not because of geography, but because it had Calais Campbell. Campbell is a great example of earning your big payday and playing for your teammates.

...perhaps Chapter 2 of his deal making IMO.....in the market to sign a vet QB....I believe the blown Cleveland deal had McCarron valued at a 2nd or 3rd.....so the FA feeding frenzy begins and ends yet McBeane doesn't make a move, calmly waiting for agents to come calling for their unemployed clients.....and he snags McCarron on HIS terms.....or even Chapter 3 to move up draft time to 12 and then again to 7 to select (hopefully) the franchise QB (Allen) without surrendering much draft capital......of course, the jury is out on BOTH, but I would say both deals were artful so far.......

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I didn't like the way they tried to bring down his character to justify getting nothing for him. When he showed up late for game day their ego's became bruised so he had to go.  Beane and McDermott handled the situation like rookie managers who wanted to make an example out of someone to keep everyone else in line.. I see it everyday in corporate America. If he was that much of a problem Marrone would not have jumped to get him. Good read sprinkled with BS.

• Like (+1) 1

Good read - thanks for posting!

I was uneasy with the Dareus trade at first, but I see now that it was the right move. Instead of taking it as a wake-up call, he copped an attitude. Disappointing, to say the least, but it shows that Beane's instincts were correct.

• Like (+1) 1

...#25?...this guy sounds like a poor gas bubble..........

Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer thinks that Brandon Beane is one of the NFL's worst GMs

Although he’s only had the job for 13 months, Brandon Beane has already made quite an impact as the general manager of the Buffalo Bills.
He’s made a few blockbuster trades, dealing away Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby in the 2017 preseason before acquiring wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin at the trade deadline. Perhaps most importantly, he constructed the Bills roster that ended the team’s infamous 17-year playoff drought.
Beane will forever be known as the man who took Buffalo back to the postseason.

Throughout his time as Bills’ general manager, Beane has proven himself as a rather savvy executive. He traded players that he inherited like Watkins, Darby, Marcell Dareus, and Tyrod Taylor in exchange for draft picks, selections he would use to move around in the 2018 draft in order to secure players of his choosing.

Although Buffalo is undoubtedly in a rebuilding phase, Beane has seemingly set the team up for long-term success. However, Sporting News’ Vinnie Iyer does not seem to share this opinion. Beane is ranked at No. 25.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-general-manager-gm-rankings-2018-best-worst/sme9fnw0e3v81xq7bqrkjsexa

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...#25?...this guy sounds like a poor gas bubble..........

Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer thinks that Brandon Beane is one of the NFL's worst GMs

Although he’s only had the job for 13 months, Brandon Beane has already made quite an impact as the general manager of the Buffalo Bills.
He’s made a few blockbuster trades, dealing away Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby in the 2017 preseason before acquiring wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin at the trade deadline. Perhaps most importantly, he constructed the Bills roster that ended the team’s infamous 17-year playoff drought.
Beane will forever be known as the man who took Buffalo back to the postseason.

Throughout his time as Bills’ general manager, Beane has proven himself as a rather savvy executive. He traded players that he inherited like Watkins, Darby, Marcell Dareus, and Tyrod Taylor in exchange for draft picks, selections he would use to move around in the 2018 draft in order to secure players of his choosing.

Although Buffalo is undoubtedly in a rebuilding phase, Beane has seemingly set the team up for long-term success. However, Sporting News’ Vinnie Iyer does not seem to share this opinion. Beane is ranked at No. 25.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-general-manager-gm-rankings-2018-best-worst/sme9fnw0e3v81xq7bqrkjsexa

I think ranking GM's is pretty tough because of so many organizations that are taken over in different scenarios. It pretty much doesn't make sense to do it. Every situation is different when a GM takes over and how many years into the regime they're in. 

Beane is the perfect example because I would basically give him an incomplete right now. We really haven't seen the most important decisions he's made play out yet. Obviously most of the judgement will be based on what Josh Allen ends up being, as it should. Can't build a long-term contender if you can't get QB right. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think ranking GM's is pretty tough because of so many organizations that are taken over in different scenarios. It pretty much doesn't make sense to do it. Every situation is different when a GM takes over and how many years into the regime they're in. 

Beane is the perfect example because I would basically give him an incomplete right now. We really haven't seen the most important decisions he's made play out yet. Obviously most of the judgement will be based on what Josh Allen ends up being, as it should. Can't build a long-term contender if you can't get QB right. 

...I agree.....but the consensus from the urinalists (a/k/a expert sportswriters) is an "A" grade for Bflo's 2018 draft, McBeane's FIRST.....not a bad start IMO....measured up well against other GM newbees....BTW, 25th in an axe grinder's vote.....Vinnie who?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Nice.  Sounds pretty butt-hurt about being traded for a 5th.