Brandon Beane: The Art of a Deal

I am assuming he does other things Beane needs.   It is not really coach McD's area.

And many companies have issues getting rid of long term VPs due to contracts and stuff.  

One of the companies I worked at needed to pay VP until he found position which was in company not in competition with company and he just treated as early retirement with full pay.

On 6/30/2018 at 9:04 AM, JohnC said:

If a talented player doesn't play well for you he isn't playing well for you. It doesn't matter how much potential you have as a player. In the end it's about production. He wasn't playing to his talent level and his bonanza contract. The onus is on the player. 

McBeane didn't junk Dareus because of an incident. They dispatched him because of a pattern of behavior over an extended period of time. What you are essentially saying here is that it is the fault of the teacher when the smart kid who sleeps in class and doesn't crack a book and do his homework fails. That is a perverted notion of accountability and responsibility. 

Maybe a change of scenery with a different coaching staff  will work wonders for Dareus. If so, I will be happy for him, What was evident in Buffalo was that Dareus wasn't buying in to what was expected of him. Dareus is not a bad guy. But that is not to say that he was a responsible and accountable person either. The person most responsible for him being traded is the player himself. The Bills have moved on. It was a tough decision but also the right decision. 

Can we also consider that McD inherited players. He scrubbed them over in his way and felt they would not work out long term in his method of Building His Team.
 I feel more aligned in between you fellows.
If ya draft him ? He's your baby. If you raise him wrong ? Its on you.     No question for me on that

Both of you are correct.

It's always a cop out by me , but context makes every case unique.

like why Mills whiffed all those times. deep diving tells you whys and wherefores 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Can we also consider that McD inherited players. He scrubbed them over in his way and felt they would not work out long term in his method of Building His Team.
 I feel more aligned in between you fellows.
If ya draft him ? He's your baby. If you raise him wrong ? Its on you.     No question for me on that

Both of you are correct.

It's always a cop out by me , but context makes every case unique.

like why Mills whiffed all those times. deep diving tells you whys and wherefores 

I disagree with your stance. Although Dareus wasn't drafted or brought in by McDermott that doesn't mean that he automatically was inclined to get rid of him. When Dareus was playing for a big contract he was one of the best interior linemen in the league. Once he got the bonanza contract his play and effort precipitously declined. McDermott didn't get rid of him because he was linked to a prior regime. He would have loved to have him play at his peak level. This was a player who was one of the best defensive players in the league. You don't think that this defensive minded HC would have loved to have had that elite type of player regardless who originally drafted him? That's not what happened here. Once Dareus had his golden contract secured he became a slacker. His performance didn't come close to matching his cost. 

McDermott has clearly stated that he wanted players who were committed to their profession. He wants character guys who are self-motivated. He doesn't want to be a coach who has to wake up a player in the film room. And he doesn't want to be a coach who has to constantly harangue a player about conditioning and a jello fat stomach hanging over his belt. 

Based on his own extended slothful behavior Dareus got himself traded. And it was the right thing to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

He inherited Mills and he has been kept so far despite not bring on rookie contract.

If he whiffed so many times why didn't coaching staff get rid of him.

Maybe you are not as big as expert on wiffle ball as you think?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS61_DqWxkB4XWTsT39WQG

He was drafted with a 5th round pick like P5t5rman so that makes him gold?

McD came in and gave everyone a clean slate to prove himself one way or another.  Those who didn't give it their all and/or were problems were sent packing, even if they had more talent than those who remained.  But that doesn't mean he's not looking to continue to upgrade. 

15 hours ago, Doc said:

McD came in and gave everyone a clean slate to prove himself one way or another.  Those who didn't give it their all and/or were problems were sent packing, even if they had more talent than those who remained.  But that doesn't mean he's not looking to continue to upgrade. 

He seems to target all of Whaley’s players. Sammy was part of the team that had one of the biggest turnarounds in nfl history and highest scoring offense.  Dareus helped the Jags run defense improve greatly. Darby was a starting cb on a SB team. Ragland started for a playoff team.

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

I disagree with your stance. Although Dareus wasn't drafted or brought in by McDermott that doesn't mean that he automatically was inclined to get rid of him. When Dareus was playing for a big contract he was one of the best interior linemen in the league. Once he got the bonanza contract his play and effort precipitously declined. McDermott didn't get rid of him because he was linked to a prior regime. He would have loved to have him play at his peak level. This was a player who was one of the best defensive players in the league. You don't think that this defensive minded HC would have loved to have had that elite type of player regardless who originally drafted him? That's not what happened here. Once Dareus had his golden contract secured he became a slacker. His performance didn't come close to matching his cost. 

McDermott has clearly stated that he wanted players who were committed to their profession. He wants character guys who are self-motivated. He doesn't want to be a coach who has to wake up a player in the film room. And he doesn't want to be a coach who has to constantly harangue a player about conditioning and a jello fat stomach hanging over his belt. 

Based on his own extended slothful behavior Dareus got himself traded. And it was the right thing to do. 

I cannot argue why Dareus was traded.
 My comment was if McBeane had drafted him he could and should be accountable for his success. Because he inherited him his stake was less.. next question might be ? Would McD have drafted him ?

and would he and Beane been able to keep him in line ?

i think no to the second question and a likely no to the first.

It was the right thing to do as you mention, moving on

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He inherited Mills and he has been kept so far despite not bring on rookie contract.

If he whiffed so many times why didn't coaching staff get rid of him.

Maybe you are not as big as expert on wiffle ball as you think?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS61_DqWxkB4XWTsT39WQG

He was drafted with a 5th round pick like P5t5rman so that makes him gold?

No question I am just a fan whos watches the games and follows the team. and i have no idea why Bills did not upgrade as soon as possible.

was that player Dawkins ? and fate turned on that plan?

: ) and yes, it has been awhile since i whiffled

Edited by 3rdand12

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He seems to target all of Whaley’s players. Sammy was part of the team that had one of the biggest turnarounds in nfl history and highest scoring offense.  Dareus helped the Jags run defense improve greatly. Darby was a starting cb on a SB team. Ragland started for a playoff team.

McD's team also made the playoffs?

but lets recap

Marcel while he was here was one drug test away from a year suspension.....was constantly falling asleep and late to team meetings......this is a 100 million dollar player that you are trying to "change the culture" is staring them in the face.....he had to go.....sometimes a change of scenery helps players.....but Marcel could very easily fall back into old habits with his new team as well....he is not a self motivator.  Had to go.

Sammy Watkins for all of his talent is onto what...his 3rd team?   Talks crap about every team he leaves...and we didnt even know if the kid could stay healthy when he was with us and wanted a huge contract that was not going to be paid out.

While we are talking about Darby....lets throw Gilmore in there as well....the bills jettisoned these two players and came out the back end with a cheaper and BETTER secondary overall

Ragland didnt fit the defense...they got what they could for him....I am not a fan of buying high and selling low either...but Bean DIDNT DRAFT HIM....he doesnt have the range on the field to start for us...he fits the defense he was traded to which is fine.

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

McD's team also made the playoffs?

but lets recap

Marcel while he was here was one drug test away from a year suspension.....was constantly falling asleep and late to team meetings......this is a 100 million dollar player that you are trying to "change the culture" is staring them in the face.....he had to go.....sometimes a change of scenery helps players.....but Marcel could very easily fall back into old habits with his new team as well....he is not a self motivator.  Had to go.

Sammy Watkins for all of his talent is onto what...his 3rd team?   Talks crap about every team he leaves...and we didnt even know if the kid could stay healthy when he was with us and wanted a huge contract that was not going to be paid out.

While we are talking about Darby....lets throw Gilmore in there as well....the bills jettisoned these two players and came out the back end with a cheaper and BETTER secondary overall

Ragland didnt fit the defense...they got what they could for him....I am not a fan of buying high and selling low either...but Bean DIDNT DRAFT HIM....he doesnt have the range on the field to start for us...he fits the defense he was traded to which is fine.

Man, you love the kool aid!!!  Maybe if we had Sammy and Dareus at our two of our biggest positions of weaknesses, maybe we beat the Jags and make a run in a crappy AFC.

and I like our secondary but we went from 6th in 2016 to 20th last year.  Basically we defied all logic in making the playoffs last year.  Of course, missing the playoffs 17 years in a row defies logic too.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Man, you love the kool aid!!!  Maybe if we had Sammy and Dareus at our two of our biggest positions of weaknesses, maybe we beat the Jags and make a run in a crappy AFC.

and I like our secondary but we went from 6th in 2016 to 20th last year.  Basically we defied all logic in making the playoffs last year.  Of course, missing the playoffs 17 years in a row defies logic too.

Or maybe we dont win enough games for the jags game to even happen......because fat ass lazy Marcel Darius is either taking up a roster spot hurt or giving bad effort....maybe he is dragging the locker room down causing the team to not play as well on the field.

Watkins?   I honestly dont know how much he would have helped....I do know that we were not going to be able to resign him (or if they even wanted to)

Keep in mind that bills team MADE the playoffs because McD got a lot of effort out of less talented players.....I will take that over primodonnas that show up to team meetings late and B word in the locker room.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Or maybe we dont win enough games for the jags game to even happen......because fat ass lazy Marcel Darius is either taking up a roster spot hurt or giving bad effort....maybe he is dragging the locker room down causing the team to not play as well on the field.

Watkins?   I honestly dont know how much he would have helped....I do know that we were not going to be able to resign him (or if they even wanted to)

Keep in mind that bills team MADE the playoffs because McD got a lot of effort out of less talented players.....I will take that over primodonnas that show up to team meetings late and B word in the locker room.

My  argument is financials . Moving Dareus when Bills did. They already had sunk money into him.

Moving Ragland and Darby on rookie contracts. Maybe one more year to turn them ?

But i respect decisive action.

Go Bills

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

My  argument is financials . Moving Dareus when Bills did. They already had sunk money into him.

Moving Ragland and Darby on rookie contracts. Maybe one more year to turn them ?

Go Bills

I think this all just the bills doing a soft rebiuld and realizing the sunk cost was in the wrong players.

and honestly I think they did better last year then they expected to.

Go Bills

...cannot agree with Dareus bud....he was just pullin' their chain and had to go.......he got bit by the Lynch-Peters "I want out" bug.......strangest part is going to Jax with da Fuhrer Coughlin in charge....and Marrone vowed to be a "culture changer" in Buffalo .but Brandon/Whaley didn't like his General Patton style and wanting them in every team meeting...

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He got rid of 2 Whaley players (Watkins and Darby) and 2 Nix players (Glenn and Dareus).  Ragland I consider a Rex pick. 

And outside of maybe Sammy, none of them were key in helping their teams make the playoffs last year.  The Jags, Eagles and Chefs were playing well without Dareus, Darby, and Ragland, and the Rams' offensive turnaround (they already had a great defense and ST's) was due to McVay.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, had the Bills beaten the Jags, they would have faced the Cheaters and lost.  And then Sammy and Dareus would have been gone for no compensation. 

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...cannot agree with Dareus bud....he was just pullin' their chain and had to go.......he got bit by the Lynch-Peters "I want out" bug.......strangest part is going to Jax with da Fuhrer Coughlin in charge....and Marrone vowed to be a "culture changer" in Buffalo .but Brandon/Whaley didn't like his General Patton style and wanting them in every team meeting...

I understand  : )

I also was surprised where Dareus went !

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I understand  : )

I also was surprised where Dareus went !

....will be interesting to see if he "stays the course" in 2018 or reverts back to his "old ways"........stay tuned..........da Fuhrer will be watching.....

Maybe Tom is getting soft in his old age. I just find it hard to see Dareus showing up five minutes early to meetings and practice. Marroon kind of  a s stick up the bum kind of fellow as well.

maybe best thing for Marcel ? Hope so