Bringing in talent this Offseason

gjv001

17 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I watched Bills lose four SBs. My poor old heart may not be able to take another one. But heck, lets go for it anyways !!

Go Bills

THAT is taking one for the team!

(Feel free to cover your eyes when you feel it coming on.) 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Does the old adage, “You bring your team to camp”, still apply? 

No.  Nowadays it's what the kid who majored in probability and statistics in college says in May, right after the draft, while he's typing on his computer from his mother's basement.

9 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Many pro football analysts and Bills fans are of the opinion that the current roster of O-linemen and Wide Receivers is lacking the talent to enable this year's offense to be productive enough so as to allow for a repeat performance to the playoffs. They seem to believe the Bills will address these weaknesses as the offseason continues. My concern is, when is it too late to bring in an O-linemen or WR and hope he can contribute this season.

The talking heads think we lack talent - not sure if Beane or McDermott agree.  

I would not be shocked to add a veteran cut at some point or maybe a minor trade, but I think what you see is what they plan.

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agree.......way too early to know what we have before TC and pre-season......McBeane is a pretty savvy shopper and knows he has $85+ mil in the cookie jar for 2019.....

Savvy shopper? Star and Ivory deals are above market. 

DiMarco and Tolbert deals were terrible though those were made by McDermott.

So far McBeane has shown an ability to jettison talent for decent returns and cap space. It is yet to be determined he can spend wisely.

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Savvy shopper? Star and Ivory deals are above market. 

DiMarco and Tolbert deals were terrible though those were made by McDermott.

So far McBeane has shown an ability to jettison talent for decent returns and cap space. It is yet to be determined he can spend wisely.

It is a little early to even make a evaluation on his free agent deals.....that does not happen in a off season

Star and Ivory are not above market if they produce.....they are simply good deals at that time.   They are both scheme fits on what they are trying to do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just a guess, but the Bills have to be the top team over the last few years for bringing in WR’s off the street and playing them on Sunday. It’s not like pass routes are a challenge to them.

OL, that’s another story.

Very true at least the thought that they must be up there in bringing in WR's that play.  

The OL is interesting.  They knew about wood and executed the trade with Glenn prior to knowing about Incognito.   Besides Incognito the O line is what they knew and decided on - so I hope they know better than what it looks like to fans.  

I believe Beane has one roster spot still open. I'm thinking he his waiting and ready to see who becomes available when roster cuts are made on other teams.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It is a little early to even make a evaluation on his free agent deals.....that does not happen in a off season

Star and Ivory are not above market if they produce.....they are simply good deals at that time.   They are both scheme fits on what they are trying to do.

I know you are super positive John but those were not good deals.  Ivory is an aging rb coming off a bad season.  IMO, that is the position you always go with the younger, cheaper option.

and Star is a good player but he is dying breed in a passing league.  It reminds of the Spikes deal.  Smart teams, like the Pats, will simply just audible to pass plays when he is on the field. 

12 hours ago, White Linen said:

Very true at least the thought that they must be up there in bringing in WR's that play.  

The OL is interesting.  They knew about wood and executed the trade with Glenn prior to knowing about Incognito.   Besides Incognito the O line is what they knew and decided on - so I hope they know better than what it looks like to fans.  

For a name wr to come here at good value, there has to be a good qb for them to pump up their resume. We don’t have that.

This point last year I thought we had one of the worst rosters in the NFL-then we go on and make the playoffs.  I expect oline and WR will be better than my expectations again

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know you are super positive John but those were not good deals.  Ivory is an aging rb coming off a bad season.  IMO, that is the position you always go with the younger, cheaper option.

and Star is a good player but he is dying breed in a passing league.  It reminds of the Spikes deal.  Smart teams, like the Pats, will simply just audible to pass plays when he is on the field. 

For a name wr to come here at good value, there has to be a good qb for them to pump up their resume. We don’t have that.

I base that strictly on how they perform Biscuit.

Ivory - if he does what his skill set says he should be able to do I think we will be pleasantly surprised.   A north south runner (who actually has the ability to run paralel to the line of scrimmage and not fall into quicksand who is a banger and will get you that tough 2 yards on 3rd and 2 and line up in  elephant front on the goal line and do the nasty dirty work to get the touchdown when the defenses is loaded for bear against it.   Also very underrated pass catcher.  Basically he is a vers guy.   If he does his job.....keeps Shady fresh....then we keep Cadet to fill that Kenneth Davis type role I think this all works nicely.   Then his contract value is worth it because the offense will convert 3rd downs and stay on the field while we groom our young QB.

Star - One thing that will never change in football......whoever controls the line of scrimmage wins the game.....Star is not nor will he ever be considered a pass rusher.....what he does do is keep linebacker's clean to make plays and he does it well.....when you force a offense to become one dimensional against OUR team....that is where our secondary can really shine.  Basically he is Marcel D. after Marcel's first year......but with more consistancy......less games missed to injury.....and less off field head aches.

If they both perform the way they are capable of performing......the contracts to me do not matter.   It would only matter if those contracts were keeping us from letting a young up and coming talent leave in free agency or aquiring someone.  Neither of those seem to be the case.

Just my opinion.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:45 AM, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

If anything, they'll look at signing a camp casualty or two, or maybe poach from practice squads. But if any are brought in, they likely won't see the field until later in the season, if at all. The starting squad we have now will probably be what we go into the season with. 

Pretty much.  They have limited salary cap room to work with, and a proven difference maker, even if available probably won't fit the salary constraints Beane will be under.  They might sign somebody's cast of but whether a cast off from another team or some of the players on their own roster, they are going to have to hope for develoment of potential ability rather than previously proven results.

19 hours ago, Augie said:

So....we are screwed and doomed to lose? But in the Super Bowl? 

I can live with that! 

?

this isn't soccer, you can't get to the title game stalling for 0-0 and penalty kick luck

On 6/26/2018 at 10:27 AM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m not so sure that they are planning on bringing in anyone else. 

I tend to agree with you.  No plan for a big splash signing or trade.

That's not to say they won't be keeping an eye on the cutout bin, or that they might not go for a trade if someone makes the right offer, but I don't think that's exactly a 'plan', more being continually opportunistic.

I am not happy about the state of our WR and OL, but I think the best hope is that Benjamin and Clay stay healthy, Jones rebounds from his rookie disaster, and the rest are able to be coached to outperform expectations.

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

...GREAT point John.....nobody comes with a warranty or money back guarantee so McBeane and his formidable staff go with the instincts and evaluations period.....

• Like (+1) 1