Chris Ivory's Role In The Running Game?

14 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

whats your opinion on Blu cheese vs Ranch ?

I say we give him a season before we preemptively judge him as a Buffalo Bill. I think he will be a great fit although unspectacular .
any thing more is bonus au jus

sure it's not roll ?

I believe all NFL fields are crowned so a roll would be an interesting strategery.  But enough with the sideline to sideline crap, we need more north/south.

I say we give him a season before we preemptively judge him as a Buffalo Bill. I think he will be a great fit although unspectacular .

sure it's not roll ?

Just role with it. 

sure it's not roll ?

Dying laughing.   This is why I read TSW every day.  

14 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

If the O-line was still intact, I would agree. With all of it in flux and unknown, and the Daboll run scheme largely untested I am holding my breath. Ingram and Ivory have been two RBs I always enjoy watching run, because they run with a bit of nasty. Just not sure what Chris Ivory we are getting, and how the O-Line, scheme etc will meld. IMO it is a good risk for both parties.

It should also be known Ivory has had a bit of a fumble history. His ball security is my primary concern.

This is where I'm at with Ivory. I'm not "down" on his signing, so to speak, but I feel like a lot of fans have a "grass is greener" approach. Tolbert wouldn't have been so bad if not for the 2 fumbles, one of which came on a big run, right after he plowed through a defender. Still not a "great" compliment to Shady, though, and Cadet looked much better suited for the role (runs a bit like Shady as well).

I think Ivory is an upgrade from Tolbert, but at his age, it's hard to guess just how productive he'll be. He wasn't very good last year, but that's not always a true indicator of how someone will look in a new city. But a lot of his production (and other skill players) will be dependent on the offensive line and QB. We can't say much about our offense with a new OC, but the scheme that he's supposedly bringing to the Bills typically involves RBs staying in to help block on passing plays more frequently than in West Coast offenses. And if the offensive line is as bad as peceived (or just not as good as it's been), that might influence more chipping and blocking by the backs. At the same time, RB and TE are outlet receivers for young QBs, so that might inflate the reception numbers a bit. 

With all of that said, I don't see our backs having a very high number of receptions this year. And with Ivory, I have less expectations for him than others seem to have, but not necessarily due just to his age. But I'm not going to judge him just on numbers alone either. 

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Oh, just role with it, dude. 

I have always loved Ivory as a player. Don't know if he is shot or not. Obviously, hopefully not. But he's a great complement to Shady. Looks like Cadet is 100% back, which is a third type. 

I really likes Cadet last year and the added dimension he brought out if the backfield

how many times did tolbert get a run call to go outside the tackles when the guy cant turn a corner?  ivory should be able to do that.  i'd like to see 500 yards catching and 175 yards catching.  he's a sure handed catcher.  

17 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Taken into what context?  You can't state that and then not give the context to which you are referring.  It is illogical.

The Jags had just as bad a passing game as the Bills did and were run heavy with a clear #1 back.  Seems pretty similar to Bills 2017.

Tolbert was terrible in 2017.  He should have never made the team and his presence the entire year played a role in no comp picks.  I'm happy they moved on and if Ivory looks anything like his 2015 season it will be a great signing.  

You just don't see that many backs declining in YPC have a resurrection.  But like you and others have said, 30 catches, good run blocking, and a few key reps per game may be just enough.

This is incorrect and you can say wrong context if you'd prefer.  The Jags starting RB already ran like Ivory so he wasn't a compliment.  They obviously in the top half of the year just used Ivory as a similar back - thunder and thunder, if you will.  It had some success but they later in the year went to T.J. Yeldon, who has the size to be powerfull for sure but is definitely a make you miss RB.  Yeldon is just better than Ivory - so they obviously went with him.  

We need Ivory as a change to what Shady does.  It's really that simple.  He's likely not going to get a ton of work but we didn't have a runner like him on the roster and it's a positive signing to fill a roll.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, White Linen said:

This is incorrect and you can say wrong context if you'd prefer.  The Jags starting RB already ran like Ivory so he wasn't a compliment.  They obviously in the top half of the year just used Ivory as a similar back - thunder and thunder, if you will.  It had some success but they later in the year went to T.J. Yeldon, who has the size to be powerfull for sure but is definitely a make you miss RB.  Yeldon is just better than Ivory - so they obviously went with him.  

We need Ivory as a change to what Shady does.  It's really that simple.  He's likely not going to get a ton of work but we didn't have a runner like him on the roster and it's a positive signing to fill a roll.

On 3rd and 2 and goaline.....I want Ivory getting those carries instead of Shady.....if Shady goes down we are in serious trouble and those are the plays where you take the more vicious hits

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

On 3rd and 2 and goaline.....I want Ivory getting those carries instead of Shady.....if Shady goes down we are in serious trouble and those are the plays where you take the more vicious hits

I can certainly understand your concern on injury.  It'll be interesting to see what the Bills do in the scenario you've described.  Shady for being a smaller back - does some of his best work on the goaline and really likes being the one to score in that situation.  

7 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I can certainly understand your concern on injury.  It'll be interesting to see what the Bills do in the scenario you've described.  Shady for being a smaller back - does some of his best work on the goaline and really likes being the one to score in that situation.  

i think it all depends here. if you are going to spread everyone out and have multiple options, i want shady in there. if you are going to bunch up all the big guys and have about 5,000 lbs of humanity shoved into a phonebooth, go ahead and give it to ivory. 

14 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I think this is the year where we need to start saving Shady from himself......I have definately become a Shady fan.  He is the heart and soul of this team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/24/2018 at 4:28 PM, matter2003 said:

"Role"...its "Role" not "Roll"

....LOL....long since corrected my "senior moment".....besides no matter what kind of "roll", he won't cost us a lotta "dough" and could even be on the "rise" in 2018, right??..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....LOL....long since corrected my "senior moment".....besides no matter what kind of "roll", he won't cost us a lotta "dough" and could even be on the "rise" in 2018, right??..............

But, do we knead him?