Chris Ivory's Role In The Running Game?

3 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

He had a pretty steep drop-off in production from 2016 to 2017. I have a hard time believing that it's simply a question of age. Players don't generally decline that quickly. He's only 30-- a year older than Shady. I was super happy with signing. Was was a beast in '15, and '16, but I would like to know the reason for his decline last year. A Shady/Ivory duo could be great.

3 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory had 3.4 YPC in 2017. Tolbert was 3.7 in 2017.

I suspect he is done.

Hope I'm wrong but running backs go from great to out of the league at his age and with his decline in production.

They have no cap issues so keeping him to see how it goes is probably wise. But my guess is he looks old and slow in training camp and they cut him.  

If he has a bounce back year and can catch 35 balls and run 100 times for 3.8 YPC then he should be a good complement to Shady.

Fournette averaged 3.9 YPC.  I'd be more inclined to chalk that up to the OL.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

What Tolbert lacked was the ability to catch and run behind the line of scrimmage. someone can pull up those stats and I bet theys sucked.
They brought him as Vet Presence in the locker room and some serviceability ( misused i might add )

Ivory 3.4 needs to be taken in context.

color me an Ivory Fan. I think he is far and away a better player than Mike Tolbert. Plus he knows the game inside out. Won't make mistakes on blitz and blocking assignments.
Low miles for his age. and a good fit for the Bills.

Cadet can do the twitchy stuff

Taken into what context?  You can't state that and then not give the context to which you are referring.  It is illogical.

The Jags had just as bad a passing game as the Bills did and were run heavy with a clear #1 back.  Seems pretty similar to Bills 2017.

Tolbert was terrible in 2017.  He should have never made the team and his presence the entire year played a role in no comp picks.  I'm happy they moved on and if Ivory looks anything like his 2015 season it will be a great signing.  

You just don't see that many backs declining in YPC have a resurrection.  But like you and others have said, 30 catches, good run blocking, and a few key reps per game may be just enough.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His roll better have butter or he'll be upset. 

In my opinion roll is right word instead of "role" which poster meant.

Roll as in ball as in round.  I hope he comes in camp in better shape than he appeared last year.

I have no idea why he was offered so much.

I believe Ivory will be the perfect compliment to Shady.  Should do some of the dirty work that could get Shady dinged plus breathers.  They packed the line on Jacksonville knowing Bortles could not throw (until the playoffs after us, when he magically could).  I expect his YPC to improve - fingers crossed!

Having 2 of the top 5 oldest backs in the NFL surely has to be of some concern. If having old rb's was a great thing, other teams would be doing it.

When our Buffalo Bills are out on an island, standing apart from the rest of the league, it makes me nervous thats for sure.

I hated the signing of Tolbert last year, i hated the Ivory pickup too.  I really hope Ivory plays well, even just adequate will do.

If all Ivory does is score TD"s from the goal line i'll be happy.

Ivory's contract isn't that crazy, but i still would think we couldve found a better player for the price.

Either way i'll root for him to succeed & will hope for the best, just like any Bills fan should do.

GO BILLS!

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

If his roll isn't kummelweck then he should be released imnediately

i think he's a waste of a roster spot and will be in the final cuts. i think the spot will make up for carrying 3 qbs or 7 wrs. cadet and or murphy are better options.

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

"Role"...its "Role" not "Roll"

Oh, just role with it, dude. 

I have always loved Ivory as a player. Don't know if he is shot or not. Obviously, hopefully not. But he's a great complement to Shady. Looks like Cadet is 100% back, which is a third type. 

On 6/25/2018 at 1:26 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

Taken into what context?  You can't state that and then not give the context to which you are referring.  It is illogical.

The Jags had just as bad a passing game as the Bills did and were run heavy with a clear #1 back.  Seems pretty similar to Bills 2017.

Tolbert was terrible in 2017.  He should have never made the team and his presence the entire year played a role in no comp picks.  I'm happy they moved on and if Ivory looks anything like his 2015 season it will be a great signing.  

You just don't see that many backs declining in YPC have a resurrection.  But like you and others have said, 30 catches, good run blocking, and a few key reps per game may be just enough.

Yeah, you're right, there was no context given.. But if you look at the context of thei games in which he was used most, they were often when the jaguars had a huge lead and the opposition presumably knew that they were trying to run out the clock (17 carries in 45-7 win over texans, 17 carries in 27-0 win over colts, 20 carries in 23-7 win over bengals). And, as mentioned by someone else, the jaguars running game was underwhelming despite having one of the best young running backs in the game. Fournette averaged only 3.9 ypg, a number that was inflated by his 90-yard run early in the year. Take that away, his ypg on the season drops to 3.56

On 6/25/2018 at 1:26 AM, Dadonkadonk said: