Buffalo 66 is twenty years old this week

27 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Buffalo 66 was ok. His best movie (as an actor) was named “Truth or Consequences, New Mexico” or something like that. Kiefer Sutherland was in it. Very good flick. 

This was a great movie. One of my all time favorites.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have a personal story to tell about an incident that occurred during the filming of this flick.

I used to work at a restaurant on Elmwood Ave that for the life of me i cant recall the name because its been so long. But there was a fire there years ago & it shut down.

It was on the corner of Elmwood & Breckenridge where Cecilia's is now. It was a higher end place, but still moderately priced, great food tho... man old age sucks because its killing me i cant recall the name haha.

Anyways one night Christina Ricci & Angelica Huston were dining there. During filming a bunch of people working on the movie would come thru out the week.

Long story short, they had been drinking lots of alcohol the whole night. A waiter walks up to their table to check on them & he heard the sound of water spilling. He mentions it to the table, trying to figure out what was going on. Right then Christina shuffles her chair back from the table, looks down to reveal her dress & says: "im Christina Ricci & I dont have to use a bathroom if i dont want to." Yes thats right, she urinated on the floor in the middle of the dining room.  The waiter told the manager & obviously all the wait staff were taken back by it, but decided not to make a big scene out of it because she was only 18 years old at the time, and didn't want to get in trouble for serving her.

The mess was cleaned up & the actresses & crew got up to leave.

While they were leaving, Angelic Huston took this large glass ashtray off the table, put it in her purse where everyone could see what she was doing & loudly proclaimed that this $15 ashtray was the best thing about Buffalo. On top of all of this, they only left a $5 tip to the waiter on a bill that was at least $300 due to all the alcohol they bought.

I swear to God & everything Bills related that the above story is 100% true.  Crazy story tho, one i've never forgotten, aside from the name of the restaurant haha.

Anyways just thought i'd share my personal story of when Buffalo '66 was being filmed here in town.

I hope i didn't break any rules by sharing it.

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I lived in Portland during that era- before it became trendy, it was a gorgeous lost gem maybe even like Buffalo, but significantly cooler at the time.

but that doesn't matter, Gallo made a great film which may touch some heart-strings a bit tougher than comfortable, so what. He did it well, and it was a love story to Buffalo. 

8 hours ago, brianthomas said:

I have a personal story to tell about an incident that occurred during the filming of this flick.

I used to work at a restaurant on Elmwood Ave that for the life of me i cant recall the name because its been so long. But there was a fire there years ago & it shut down.

It was on the corner of Elmwood & Breckenridge where Cecilia's is now. It was a higher end place, but still moderately priced, great food tho... man old age sucks because its killing me i cant recall the name haha.

Anyways one night Christina Ricci & Angelica Huston were dining there. During filming a bunch of people working on the movie would come thru out the week.

Long story short, they had been drinking lots of alcohol the whole night. A waiter walks up to their table to check on them & he heard the sound of water spilling. He mentions it to the table, trying to figure out what was going on. Right then Christina shuffles her chair back from the table, looks down to reveal her dress & says: "im Christina Ricci & I dont have to use a bathroom if i dont want to." Yes thats right, she urinated on the floor in the middle of the dining room.  The waiter told the manager & obviously all the wait staff were taken back by it, but decided not to make a big scene out of it because she was only 18 years old at the time, and didn't want to get in trouble for serving her.

The mess was cleaned up & the actresses & crew got up to leave.

While they were leaving, Angelic Huston took this large glass ashtray off the table, put it in her purse where everyone could see what she was doing & loudly proclaimed that this $15 ashtray was the best thing about Buffalo. On top of all of this, they only left a $5 tip to the waiter on a bill that was at least $300 due to all the alcohol they bought.

I swear to God & everything Bills related that the above story is 100% true.  Crazy story tho, one i've never forgotten, aside from the name of the restaurant haha.

Anyways just thought i'd share my personal story of when Buffalo '66 was being filmed here in town.

I hope i didn't break any rules by sharing it.

GO BILLS!

Intersting story.  I do remember in an interview Gallo saying her mouth smelled like booze a lot

The film was awkward and quirky but overall not bad.  If you are from Buffalo and a Bills fan it is a must watch.  But the thing is that Ben Gazzara and Angelica Houston absolutely nailed their characters and that Buffalo mom and pop vibe.  

Edited by jethro_tull
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

The film was awkward and quirky but overall not bad.  If you are from Buffalo and a Bills fan it is a must watch.  But the thing is that Ben Gazzara and Angelica Houston absolutely nailed their characters and that Buffalo mom and pop vibe.  

The way she can't come to grips with the reality that it was lost - and lives a Groundhog Day life is amazing.  While the pop just supports her as best he can.

It reminded me on many levels of couples I knew in Buffalo - if not for this particular event, just for how much the team was ingrained into the life of fans.  So much of the way of life in Buffalo (at least in some periods) was tied up in the success/failure of the Bills.

I have seen this where I live now as well.  There was a period of fanaticism about the local college football team when it was in it's heyday which was very reminiscent.  Then - several bad seasons which were accompanied by poor decisions by players off the field as well as coaches willing to look past those transgressions really sort of turned off much of the city.  That said - if there is a resurgence on the team, I could see it happening here again (just like I can envision that in Buffalo.)

When you haven't got much else going on besides "life" - teams can fill some voids and overtake people's psyche.  The movie played on these chords for me.

It is definitely not a mainstream movie for everyone, like many movies.  It is a love it or hate it thing.  Sort of like Napoleon Dynamite - you either got it or you didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

The premier was at the North Park theater.  Happened to be in Buffalo at the time and was going to a nearby restaurant on Hertel. The street was closed to traffic and mobs were waiting for the stars to show.  It was some scene.  Now the Bills or Sabres need to win something and we'll all appreciate the streets being closed for the parade. 

I remember seeing the box of that movie at Blockbuster when I was a kid growing up in VA. Anything that said "Buffalo" to me was exciting, and I instantly gravitated towards it. But I couldn't figure out what it was about for the life of me, and just ended up forgetting about it.

Still have no idea what the hell it's about...if it has anything to do with the Bills, I may give it a watch

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I remember seeing the box of that movie at Blockbuster when I was a kid growing up in VA. Anything that said "Buffalo" to me was exciting, and I instantly gravitated towards it. But I couldn't figure out what it was about for the life of me, and just ended up forgetting about it.

Still have no idea what the hell it's about...if it has anything to do with the Bills, I may give it a watch

It's a low-budget film and they didn't want to pay NFL royalties, so there's no mention of the Bills by name. There are many references to the professional football team from Buffalo, including footage of actual games shown on TV. (I'm not sure how they did that without paying royalties.)

The protagonist's parents are die-hard Bills fans; they care more about the team than their own son. It's actually a pretty dark film with moments of hilarity. To me, it has a David Lynch feel to it.