Good piece on Buffalo News Sports Dept

TPS

10 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Except many other news outlets did their transformations (aka deep cuts) about 5-8 years ago. How the TBN brass didn't see this coming YEARS ago is crazy. Putting all eggs in the paywall basket also super dubious. 

Now they’re in a tough spot. Charge for content, totally revamp the sports section. I thought the BN content wasn’t worth me paying. Now it’s a new staff. And I won’t be willing to pay for an unknown. 

6 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Just because he was one of the most read at TBN doesn't mean alot of people were reading his content.  TBN did their research and realized they were losing subscriptions by having his column published.  If he was making TBN money they wouldn't have cut his column.  He clearly wasn't making them money nor were the others.  Hence the overhaul at TBN.

BS!

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was true before. Now that the News and other papers decided on a paywall, the idea that people read him doesn't exist. Those exact people are saying no freaking way am I paying for Jerry Sullivan. You saw that here. 

BS again! Where are you getting this from?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So about that $250,000 a year in Sabres program printing.  I've been told the timeline there was, the Pegulas took their business elsewhere 3 years ago (can't cite source, but should be a good one).

Given that timeline, it really doesn't look too plausible that Sully taking a buyout and $250,000 of business printing Sabres programs are related.  Again, that speculation seems to have started with a piece written by former TBN writer and current Fredonia journalism professor Elmer Ploetz, who later wrote a 2nd piece stating new information contradicted his speculation that threatened loss of printing business was behind the buyouts.

The Buffalo Rumblings article that repeats this speculation does not give a timeline for when the Pegulas took the printing business elsewhere.

Was this right around the time they publicly derided the negative press the BN was giving the Sabres?

55 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't understand that. Thanks.  

In any case, I have no doubt that the Pegulas made their feelings known to the News.  They weren't going to tolerate being called a dumpster fire. 

It’s a sad day in America when the people with the money can dictate how the media should report about them. The modern version of company towns from the 1800s.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Reading, listening, observing, watching, thinking and common sense?

In the world of adults, especially the media and that includes Sports Pages in Newspaper, opinions are expressed that you may not agree with or even like. But adults, kind of laugh and say "oh that rascal" and move on. Join us and try not to feel threatened or angry because someone has an "OPINION" that you might not share and say "OK, we disagree!"

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, eball said:

“At one point, [Connelly] told me that even I seemed tired with my column, and I jumped on him for that,” Sullivan added. “Don’t ever put words in my mouth.”

Umm, yeah, I'd say we weren't the only ones sick of Sully's b.s.  :lol:

Some have developed a taste for crap like they do limburger.  

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

In the world of adults, especially the media and that includes Sports Pages in Newspaper, opinions are expressed that you may not agree with or even like. But adults, kind of laugh and say "oh that rascal" and move on. Join us and try not to feel threatened or angry because someone has an "OPINION" that you might not share and say "OK, we disagree!"

The problem Sullivan and Gleason had was they could not separate criticism from personal insults.   In the world of adult writing one can be critical of decisions teams make, governments make, whomever without resorting to personal attacks.  Sullivan especially was downright insulting way too often. 

I have said many many times before guys like Felser could absolutely skewer the Bills without making it personal.  Sullivan was more interested in the shock journalism nonsense where you have to belittle people instead of just criticizing their actions.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Can someone tell me what any of them bring at the BN that can't be found elsewhere?

Hell, Lori used to write the best pre-game piece of anyone anywhere, not just BN. In depth. Insightful. Unbiased. Just terrific stuff.

The guy here who breaks down the post-game All 22 each week? Better than anything I'd read from anyone at BN.

When the off season doesn't have people here contemplating a straight up trade of Shady and Kyle Williams to the Browns in exchange for a Ho-Ho and a $2 scratcher, the discussions here about roster moves, trades, pre-draft, post-draft, etc. rivals anything you get from BN.

Yes, you get the occasional fluff piece, but I ask again...what did any of them bring at the BN that can't be found elsewhere?

If you need a professionally written piece, start and end with JW. 

You make it sound like there are so many alternatives. Outside of the D&C, Post Standard, and WGR, there isnt much else. BN has the most articles, so without them there isn’t much to chose from.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

The problem Sullivan and Gleason had was they could not separate criticism from personal insults.   In the world of adult writing one can be critical of decisions teams make, governments make, whomever without resorting to personal attacks.  Sullivan especially was downright insulting way too often. 

I have said many many times before guys like Felser could absolutely skewer the Bills without making it personal.  Sullivan was more interested in the shock journalism nonsense where you have to belittle people instead of just criticizing their actions.

Then don't read him, your choice, but very apparent you did read him and that means many others probably did which kept him relevant.  This is football, entertainment, get a life!

6 minutes ago, Idandria said:

You make it sound like there are so many alternatives. Outside of the D&C, Post Standard, and WGR, there isnt much else. BN has the most articles, so without them there isn’t much to chose from.

Poor you!

4 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Then don't read him, your choice, but very apparent you did read him and that means many others probably did which kept him relevant.  This is football, entertainment, get a life!

I like some of his stuff like his golf columns and college stuff.  Which made it all the more frustrating when he'd switch to his pettiness with with Bills and Sabres.

By the way, your black and white "then don't read him" attitude is one of the problems with society today.   This my way or nothing attitude.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I like some of his stuff like his golf columns and college stuff.  Which made it all the more frustrating when he'd switch to his pettiness with with Bills and Sabres.

By the way, your black and white "then don't read him" attitude is one of the problems with society today.   This my way or nothing attitude.

Your wrong, dead wrong! Opinion media is suppose to be challenging, thought provoking, new opinions - if you are afraid of then don't buy a newspaper, turn off the TV and stay in the house!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

Your wrong, dead wrong! Opinion media is suppose to be challenging, thought provoking, new opinions - if you are afraid of then don't buy a newspaper, turn off the TV and stay in the house!

Opinion media should be thought provoking, not personally insulting.  And quit with the my way ir the highway garbage.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

And yet you read every Sully BS column...as did thousands of others--simply so they could rage at him and start threads about his latest takes.

Looks like the people who run the BN don't understand much about selling newspapers.

At least one of their clients (FSE) will be pleased.

Actually, I did not.

2 hours ago, 4th&long said:

One quarterly loss in 40 and you gut the sports department? Sounds like management needs to be shown the door.

I doubt the decision was based on the quarter.  Probably based on projections.  

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Opinion media should be thought provoking, not personally insulting.  And quit with the my way ir the highway garbage.

Man, if you were personally insulted by anything Sully wrote you have bigger issues than some sports reporter! And stop with the my way or highway, it's very simple - don't read it - if no one reads it goodbye - if enough read it it's hello! Why so hard to understand!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Man, if you were personally insulted by anything Sully wrote you have bigger issues than some sports reporter! And stop with the my way or highway, it's very simple - don't read it - if no one reads it goodbye - if enough read it it's hello! Why so hard to understand!

Personally insulting towards those he was writing about, of course.  I have already said I like some of his stuff but did not like his personal insults towards those he was wfitibg about.  Think a little before you post.

Your thinking typifies, again, a societal problem.  Thinking everything is a black and white decision when actually it requires discernment of greys.  

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Personally insulting towards those he was writing about, of course.  I have already said I like some of his stuff but did not like his personal insults towards those he was wfitibg about.  Think a little before you post.

Your thinking typifies, again, a societal problem.  Thinking everything is a black and white decision when actually it requires discernment of greys.  

I have always been a "societal problem," not sure what to do about that!

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

How poorly managed is a company that has their first quartely loss in 40 years and is so panicked by it because they havent done a good job with their finances?? What have they been doing with their quarterly profits for the last 40 years?

They were making $1 million a week at one point? Where did the money go?

Thats 160 quarters straight where they made money and they literally have so little of that saved they freak out and have to get rid of a bunch of people?

Thats terrible management.

Bupkis.   They are an advertising-based business.  Take away the retail ad dollars (Bon Ton, being just the latest revenue hole) and you get what you see.     

As retail goes, so goes the newspaper business, especially with a disruptive low-cost alternative competitor like online media...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_department_stores_of_the_United_States#New_York

Edited by Lurker