Would a Buffalo Bills Themed Convention in Downtown Buffalo Work?

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Was the event in the practice facility located at the stadium? 

Sorry, I have no idea what you’re even talking about. I’ve been gone a long time and catch more road games than home games. I hope to get the home opener and the Packers game this year. I haven’t been at a home game in 8- 9 years. Shameful, I know....

6 hours ago, musichunch said:

Big market. I was watching highlights from the glory days recently and was taken aback by the winning vibe those teams gave off compared to the Bills of the last 20 years. It would do the Bills Mafia good to reconnect with those teams since they have never seen winning of that magnitude since they became fans. 

That's all Bills Mafia does is reconnect with those teams

7 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Let it all go. All of it. The Superbowls. The  Comeback. The red helmets. Pete Metzelaars mustache.

It’s all ancient and irrelevant. Nice memories that need to be tucked away and remembered fondly, instead of conjuring past glory for comfort’s sake. 

Thank you..... I could care less if I ever hear about them again...

7 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Let it all go. All of it. The Superbowls. The  Comeback. The red helmets. Pete Metzelaars mustache.

It’s all ancient and irrelevant. Nice memories that need to be tucked away and remembered fondly, instead of conjuring past glory for comfort’s sake. 

One of these things is not like the other. ? 

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

One of these things is not like the other. ? 

Sorry, should have added “remembered fondly on a personal level.”

It’s like, I had a great time chasing tail and pounding booze way back in college, but I have no desire whatsoever these days to get that old gang back together to try to relive it.

Same principle applies here.

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Sorry, should have added “remembered fondly on a personal level.”

It’s like, I had a great time chasing tail and pounding booze way back in college, but I have no desire whatsoever these days to get that old gang back together to try to relive it.

Same principle applies here.

I’m not hung up on or living in the past, but it’s a real thing. It all needs the proper balance. I’m not for closing the HOF because I’m looking forward to NEXT season. The names on the Wall belong there, but we still have next season to play. Next season is my priority, and then the one after that. But reasonable people can reconcile that with our history. I guess it’s all personal preference. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not hung up on or living in the past, but it’s a real thing. It all needs the proper balance. I’m not for closing the HOF because I’m looking forward to NEXT season. The names on the Wall belong there, but we still have next season to play. Next season is my priority, and then the one after that. But reasonable people can reconcile that with our history. I guess it’s all personal preference.

Absolutely.

Personally, I feel the 90’s nostalgia has been milked beyond dry for quite some time now. But I can also admit that it’s sad commentary that’s how far back we have to go as a fanbase for a good memory.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not hung up on or living in the past, but it’s a real thing. It all needs the proper balance. I’m not for closing the HOF because I’m looking forward to NEXT season. The names on the Wall belong there, but we still have next season to play. Next season is my priority, and then the one after that. But reasonable people can reconcile that with our history. I guess it’s all personal preference. 

History is important no doubt and believe me I absolutely loved the 90's Bills era but I think the point is that because the Bills have been completely irrelevant after the Super Bowl runs that for the last 25 years Bills fans have beaten the memories to death and it is time to start making some new ones! 

4 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Absolutely.

Personally, I feel the 90’s nostalgia has been milked beyond dry for quite some time now. But I can also admit that it’s sad commentary that’s how far back we have to go as a fanbase for a good memory.

That’s interesting. Maybe it’s a factor of age and/or location. I left WNY in ‘77 and have only been back on occasion since 1980, most recently 8-9 years ago. Sure, people know about the SB run, but my kids didn’t live on that. They are here for the NOW, as am I. I’m into this team, this FO, our last draft, etc. BUT, I’m not trying to ignore the old days, good or bad. Heck, we were 2-14 back to back years when I got married. I’m not dwelling on that any more or less that the SB days. It’s just what happened. Sometimes life is better than others. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s interesting. Maybe it’s a factor of age and/or location. I left WNY in ‘77 and have only been back on occasion since 1980, most recently 8-9 years ago. Sure, people know about the SB run, but my kids didn’t live on that. 

That’s definitely a part of it. Beyond WNY, people either forgot or just don’t care about the 1990’s Bills. Four SBs in a row is nothing but a trivia question anymore. And the continued Bruce/Andre/Thurman/Jim worship gives off the “30-year-old dude still wearing his varsity football jacket” vibe. 

But hey man, like you said, personal preference. We can agree on that.

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

That’s definitely a part of it. Beyond WNY, people either forgot or just don’t care about the 1990’s Bills. Four SBs in a row is nothing but a trivia question anymore. And the continued Bruce/Andre/Thurman/Jim worship gives off the “30-year-old dude still wearing his varsity football jacket” vibe. 

But hey man, like you said, personal preference. We can agree on that.

Balance is the key. And balance doesn’t mean 50/50, but all things in appropriate proportion. 

17 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

The fact is that the Superbowl era is the only era in the franchise's history when we were nationally relevant, successful, and realistically competing for championships.  

It stands out like a shining light in a vast darkness of mediocrity.

People have a hard time letting it go for that reason.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:23 PM, BillsPride12 said:

That's all Bills Mafia does is reconnect with those teams

In a shallow way. None of them watch old games, or even highlights. They can't name you more than Tasker, Kelly, Thomas, Smith, and Reed. Maybe Lofton, Bennett, and Talley. They don't know Kenneth Davis, Nate Odomes, Metzelaars, etc. 

They have no clue what a perennial AFC championship vibe feels like. All they know is the jerseys they see people wear. 

On 6/25/2018 at 10:52 AM, DCBongo said:

You would have to do it in the fall or winter far enough away from the season so current players and former players involved with other teams could participate.

There would be no possible way to schedule it but the weekend prior to a Monday night game would be ideal.  

I think people are getting too caught up in the 90’s aspect of it. Sure it could have elements of that but it could be more of an overall Buffalo Bills appreciation convention. 

Mostly it would be a bunch of likeminded people enjoying their team, buying some fun merch, drinking local brews, and eating beef and wings. 

Could even have some games like cornhole going on. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun if done right. 

On 6/28/2018 at 7:00 PM, musichunch said:

In a shallow way. None of them watch old games, or even highlights. They can't name you more than Tasker, Kelly, Thomas, Smith, and Reed. Maybe Lofton, Bennett, and Talley. They don't know Kenneth Davis, Nate Odomes, Metzelaars, etc. 

They have no clue what a perennial AFC championship vibe feels like. All they know is the jerseys they see people wear. 

This is a bit of generalization. Putting people into a box like this is reckless and irresponsible. I can name the whole team but I never thought that made me a better fan than the younger folks that didn’t get to experience it first hand. 

In a way it shows they’re pretty good fans never having experienced the glory years and still showing up and supporting their team when all they’ve known is losing. 

I never really understood the need to put others down to make myself feel like a “better” fan but then again I’m comfortable in my own skin. 

Says more about the person judging than the judged, imo...

Edited by Bobby Hooks

On 7/1/2018 at 12:03 PM, Bobby Hooks said:

This is a bit of generalization. Putting people into a box like this is reckless and irresponsible. I can name the whole team but I never thought that made me a better fan than the younger folks that didn’t get to experience it first hand. 

In a way it shows they’re pretty good fans never having experienced the glory years and still showing up and supporting their team when all they’ve known is losing. 

I never really understood the need to put others down to make myself feel like a “better” fan but then again I’m comfortable in my own skin. 

Says more about the person judging than the judged, imo...

I mean, I'm describing a majority IMO. Is it reckless and irresponsible to describe a majority and not acknowledge the minority? That's lame. 

Am I putting others down? Is describing a truth considered putting others down? Do I think I'm a "better" fan? Or am I just a more knowledgeable fan who believes the Bills Mafia would gain a lot from actually watching games from the 90's? 

You projected some heavy stuff onto me there. 

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Buffalo just needs a new convention center period.  That thing is so outdated and with its Renaissance, it is badly needed and I bet one is coming.

There was an article in the Buffalo News sometime within the past year talking about how outdated and undersized the Buffalo Convention Center is now and how Buffalo keeps losing out on events because it cannot accommodate alot of modern conventions