Julio Jones Trade possibilty?

2 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

I think the odds of him being traded are very low, however, the Falcons did just draft his replacement and they already have a very solid group of guys at wr.  Add that up with his contract situation makes it all the more possible.  I still think the odds are low but is not on the same line as Brady or Rodgers being traded.

Because of this I do this there is some level of truth to this story.  I'm sure every team in the league that has top level players in the last year of their contract gets calls from other teams about said player.  Team probably always says sure for a kings ransom.  Likely too as time goes on time goes on, the number of picks drops off that team can get.  Think if by the start of training camp he's not signed, wouldn't rule out a trade with some one.

I don't follow things that close would Lawson be a good match for the Atlanta defense.  Throw him in next years #1 and 3.  Seems when trades for a player in the NFL are made, teams rarely get back the value you'd think they should get in return.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

I seriously doubt the Falcons trade him. That being said I would make this trade. He and Benjamin would make one of the better tandems in the league and Julio probably has at least 5 more years of All Pro caliber play in him.

that is what i was thinking .. nice combo, when i started the post i wasnt trying to win "post or scoop of the year", just thought it was discussion worthy 

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Alright, I’ll play. Lawson, 2019 1st & 4th, 2020 2nd would you?

No, too expensive.  Then there is the money Julio will want.  All things considered, I don't see how he'll live up to the trade deal and contract, even as good as he is.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dwight in philly said:

i could  be wrong,  but i think that is why you trade for him.. we will have the cap space next year. 

Agree you could do the contract such that has a low 1st year base salary with a decent size signing bonus and a 2nd year has a large base salary and maybe even a 2nd bonus

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Add to the fact we dont have the cap space to pay him...

It doesn't matter anyway. They aren't trading him.  The Falcons have Super Bowl aspirations and moving Jones does not help them towards that goal. 

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It doesn't matter anyway. They aren't trading him.  The Falcons have Super Bowl aspirations and moving Jones does not help them towards that goal. 

The only reason this is even being discussed is it is 6/23 

This isn't the first time I've seen a Julio trade rumor FWIW. And yes I would do what it takes to get him including giving up our 2019 1st. There are maybe 5 WRs in the NFL that I would give a monster contract to and Julio is one of them. The downside is we'd lose out on a top pass rusher in the draft next year but our defense has enough talent. An offense with Shady and Julio would be potent no matter who the QB is.

1 hour ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Add to the fact we dont have the cap space to pay him...

That is not true, the Bills could certainly afford JJ.  The Bills have $17.6M in space now ($11M more than Atlanta) and the third lowest obligations in the league in 2019.  That said, Atlanta isn’t trading him.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Alright, I’ll play. Lawson, 2019 1st & 4th, 2020 2nd would you?

Nope. I think Julio is too much of an injury risk to give up that much. Take our 2019 1st out of the equation, sure. No way do I give up a 1st.

14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Nope. I think Julio is too much of an injury risk to give up that much. Take our 2019 1st out of the equation, sure. No way do I give up a 1st.

So in other words no chance at Julio? Brandin Cooks cost a 1st in a contract year. Julio is AT LEAST a 1st and then some.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I don't think we can afford Julio, would love to see him in Buffalo, it would be really dumb for Atlanta to let him go in the prime of his career.

...here's his remaining deal that he is NOT happy with.....as in $34 mil.....

8/29/2015: Signed a six-year, $81.432 million contract. The deal contains $47 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus. Jones' $11.5 million 2017 salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 11, 2016. 2018: $10.5 million, 2019: $12.5 million, 2020: $11.426 million, 2021: Free Agent

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So in other words no chance at Julio? Brandin Cooks cost a 1st in a contract year. Julio is AT LEAST a 1st and then some.

I would not have give a 1st for Cooks, but we don't feel we are close to being a super bowl team. The Rams are close and must feel he will take them over the hump(not Watkins). Julio is a monster, when healthy but we are not close to being a super bowl team and Julio has at least one bad foot. Not good for a wr who just turned 29 yrs old. By the time we're ready he'll be 31-32 ys ols ans that would be toooo much cash for an older wr with a bad foot. Jmo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

An optimistic approach:

It is unlikely, but possible they trade him.  He would have to commit to a long holdout and force Atlanta's hand.  He has multiple years left on his deal and he just watched guys like Sammy Watkins get  $16 mil/yr.  Julio averages around $14mil/yr.  (I don't know exactly how it's paid out.)  This is not exactly a Jason Peters situation, but they share the concept of ownership not extending the contract with multiple years left in the deal.  The Falcons also drafted Calvin Ridley in the first round this year.  We have the cap space, who knows what the asking price would be.    

13 minutes ago, GymShorts84 said:

An optimistic approach:

It is unlikely, but possible they trade him.  He would have to commit to a long holdout and force Atlanta's hand.  He has multiple years left on his deal and he just watched guys like Sammy Watkins get  $16 mil/yr.  Julio averages around $14mil/yr.  (I don't know exactly how it's paid out.)  This is not exactly a Jason Peters situation, but they share the concept of ownership not extending the contract with multiple years left in the deal.  The Falcons also drafted Calvin Ridley in the first round this year.  We have the cap space, who knows what the asking price would be.    

...do we even know what the hell we have with guys getting healthy, re-signings, draftees, etc before automatically thinking the "grass MUST be greener on the other side"?....how about the ongoing dichotomy of opinions on "$16 Mil Sammy"?.............