Darby trade

gjv001

On 6/23/2018 at 10:08 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

The Darby trade was the only move that gave me pause when McBeane pulled the trigger on it.  It seems funny, but I really had no problem with moving Dareus and letting Gilmore go, but trading a promising young CB, a rookie who had outplayed Gilmore, and who still had years left on his rookie contract seemed crazy to me.

They drafted White and brought in free agents who got the job done.  Our secondary, which I thought was going to get blown up every week, ended up being the best unit on the entire team last year.  Got to tip my hat to McBeane on those moves.  I was wrong and they were right.

You’re still not wrong though. Our starting secondary is very good. We lack depth though. This team is still better with Darby on it, than not. 

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

You’re still not wrong though. Our starting secondary is very good. We lack depth though. This team is still better with Darby on it, than not. 

agreed on both counts.

as i also agreed mr Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..un pocquito senor'....

did you just call Dopey a fat pig ?

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

Meh I think I’d rather have 4 years of Harrison Phillips than 1 more year of Terrence Trent Darby. But we’re all just at a wishing well. Don’t kiss and tell. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MDFan said:

You are probably right, but McD had plenty of time before the trade to size up Darby's intelligence and character and could well have found him lacking in both.  Had that not been he case, perhaps they could have taught him to play the scheme they wanted, no?

Character could have been a factor but going from playing man to man all your years in college and 2 years in the pros to playing a zone scheme is a transition that not a lot of corners make. I think the front office simply saw a player that wasn't likely to be productive in a new system that could have fetched big value in a trade and pulled the trigger. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Character could have been a factor but going from playing man to man all your years in college and 2 years in the pros to playing a zone scheme is a transition that not a lot of corners make. I think the front office simply saw a player that wasn't likely to be productive in a new system that could have fetched big value in a trade and pulled the trigger. 

He was really bad in the SB. Maybe fault Schwartz for putting him 1:1 vs Gronk. But it was nasty in the 2nd half. That’s the only time i think i saw him play All year. Granted he was hurt for most of it and I didn’t make the Eagles appointment tv. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He was really bad in the SB. Maybe fault Schwartz for putting him 1:1 vs Gronk. But it was nasty in the 2nd half. That’s the only time i think i saw him play All year. Granted he was hurt for most of it and I didn’t make the Eagles appointment tv. 

From what I read Darby was pretty good when he played, the SB might not be a good barometer for how he played since almost every defensive player was getting burnt on both teams. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

From what I read Darby was pretty good when he played, the SB might not be a good barometer for how he played since almost every defensive player was getting burnt on both teams. 

when he was on the field i did see some decent reports. as much as it irked me . Him getting injured so soon gave me some relief with the trade 
Did Eagles keep him this year ?

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That was a great game!

sure was !

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

when he was on the field i did see some decent reports. as much as it irked me . Him getting injured so soon gave me some relief with the trade 
Did Eagles keep him this year ?

Darby is on the last year of his rookie deal in 2018 so he will be on the Eagles at least one more season. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Darby is on the last year of his rookie deal in 2018 so he will be on the Eagles at least one more season. 

So this is the deciding year for contract ?
 be interesting to see how they feel about the longer term investment. If they offer him anything or try to move him.

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

So this is the deciding year for contract ?
 be interesting to see how they feel about the longer term investment. If they offer him anything or try to move him.

The Eagles don't value corners they value safeties in their secondary and system in general. So I suspect if Darby has a strong year they might just let him go and keep the big money invested into their D-line and safeties. But I think the Eagles were OK with getting 2 years out of him for a 3rd round pick and a receiver they weren't interested in long-term. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Eagles don't value corners they value safeties in their secondary and system in general. So I suspect if Darby has a strong year they might just let him go and keep the big money invested into their D-line and safeties. But I think the Eagles were OK with getting 2 years out of him for a 3rd round pick and a receiver they weren't interested in long-term. 

If he shows value  and they wish to move on to a rook or someone a bit cheaper over the next few years . they might rather trade him ?

Edited by 3rdand12

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

If he shows value  and they wish to move on to a rook or someone a bit cheaper over the next few years . they might rather trade him ?

Probably not, the Eagles are hoping for a Super Bowl and Darby is likely to be their best corner if he has a good season. So I doubt that unless they are flushed with good corners (they are not) they would risk a chance at a deep playoff run to get value out of a good corner on an expiring deal. I think they stick with Darby and simply try to retain him at their price or let him walk. The Eagles aren't going to give up their best corner halfway into a season just to get a 4th round pick (What team is going to give up a pick in rounds 1-3 for a guy on the last year of his deal?)