Darby trade

gjv001

45 minutes ago, CSBill said:

and who was the other thug in that Florida State group that we drafted at running back? . . . Lesson here: character does matter.

Karlos Williams was awesome though. So much talent and he performed up to it his rookie year. It was worth the risk at the 155th overall pick. Just a shame he couldn't keep it together mentally.

47 minutes ago, CSBill said:

and who was the other thug in that Florida State group that we drafted at running back? . . . Lesson here: character does matter.

That would be Karlos Williams who is currently suspended (surprise) and not playing. I do agree that character should play a role in the selection process...does no good to have great physical talents on the bench due to suspension. 

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He wants to show you his Gaudy Super Bowl Ring. 

Good for him.  It doesn't change the fact that he isn't a McD-type player, which is why he, Dareus, Watkins, et al. were unloaded. Hell, I hate this thought, but Dareus could get a ring in the next year or two too...

Just now, TPS said:

Good for him.  It doesn't change the fact that he isn't a McD-type player, which is why he, Dareus, Watkins, et al. were unloaded. Hell, I hate this thought, but Dareus could get a ring in the next year or two too...

McD type player had nothing to do with him being traded IMO.  It was more a defensive scheme incompatibiity with the Eagles/Jim Schwartz placing a value on higher value on him. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McD type player had nothing to do with him being traded IMO.  It was more a defensive scheme incompatibiity with the Eagles/Jim Schwartz placing a value on higher value on him. 

Yeah, I mean Darby was never a problem in Buffalo, was he? He seemed like a nice enough kid. Totally due to scheme, I imagine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So Watkins and Dareus weren't scheme fits either? They continue to show people the door who do not fit their culture.

If the Eagles initiated the trade, then I'd agree on that being the main element. Any idea?

Edited by TPS

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

So Watkins and Dareus weren't scheme fits either? They continue to show people the door who do not fit their culture.

If the Eagles initiated the trade, then I'd agree on that being the main element. Any idea?

Dareus' departure was both culture and cost related. Watkins I believe was a combination of cost control and injury issues.  Since you allege Darby was a culture problem, what was his issue that leads you to that?  

The Darby trade was the only move that gave me pause when McBeane pulled the trigger on it.  It seems funny, but I really had no problem with moving Dareus and letting Gilmore go, but trading a promising young CB, a rookie who had outplayed Gilmore, and who still had years left on his rookie contract seemed crazy to me.

They drafted White and brought in free agents who got the job done.  Our secondary, which I thought was going to get blown up every week, ended up being the best unit on the entire team last year.  Got to tip my hat to McBeane on those moves.  I was wrong and they were right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I wonder if the Jameis Winston investigation influenced the Bills decision to trade Darby.

I don’t think so.  I do remember when the oldd admininstraion picked Darby, Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski did mention a potential character issue but I don’t think it had much effect on his draft stock.  It seems he fell to the 2nd round because of size and the fact that there were questions about his ball skills.  

At the time of the trade last summer Winston was starting to rebuild his image.  The controversy that surrounded him around the time of the draft had pretty much died down, to where he was being regarded as a good leader (especially his positive portrayal in Hard Knocks).  

It is somewhat odd that he’s with Winston again when something is alleged to down.  

Edited by BuffaloRush

5 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I don’t think so.  I do remember when the oldd admininstraion picked Darby, Vic Carucci and Jay Skurski did mention a potential character issue but I don’t think it had much effect on his draft stock.  It seems he fell to the 2nd round because of size and the fact that there were questions about his ball skills.  

At the time of the trade last summer Winston was starting to rebuild his image.  The controversy that surrounded him around the time of the draft had pretty much died down, to where he was being regarded as a good leader (especially his positive portrayal in Hard Knocks).  

It is somewhat odd that he’s with Winston again when something is alleged to down.  

well if you read the quotes between Darby and Banks, Winston seems like they all might be lying because none of the stories match up.

And Darby recently took initiative to speak out again.
fishy stuff

I did not like Darby in TC and loved him when the season started. I too was bummed to see him traded

Edited by 3rdand12