1. 1. Grade Our OL.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

50 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I'm optimistic:

• Dawkins had a strong rookie year--let's hope he continues to learn and improve
  • Gory has always been popular here on TBD--he has the opportunity to start now, I think he will take advantage of it and be very successful
  • Ducasse actually improved and played well towards the end of last season--I think he is solid, not a star, but improving;
  • Miller did well his first two seasons, for some reason took a step backward last season--with maturity and a scheme that better fits him, he will return to above average form (if not, Wyatt is just a matter of time)
  • Mills is mediocre and will always be, and Newhouse appears to be about the same--I think eventually O'Conner takes this spot and sores, if not, we still have experience and average play there.

All-in-all, above average and potential to be good, if not "very good."

?

and O line is best graded as a group after letting them develop the repore  required. This will happen during training camp and preseason.

For now ? I do not have much confidence in them based on individual talent and experiences. And i was certainly NOT a fan of Castillo last year.

on the other hand ?  am open to be proven wrong  

Go Bills !

Incomplete. 

As important as talented players would help,  a competent OC can mask shortcomings and make even a mediocre O line look decent if the scheme compliments what he has and gets the ball out quickly. Kind of like what Chan did a couple years back. Dawkins, Groy and Miller should be fine. High hopes for Teller as well.

Edited by billsbackto81

Too early to rate with an entire Offensive scheme change and 2-3 new potential starting QBs.

I have stated that I think the O-line will be more solid than anticipated by some of the doom and gloom posters, but there will be a learning curve and some shake out. My guess is the O-Line will start a bit shaky but gel around mid-season.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

No 'I' for incomplete?

...ditto for the WR corp.......DOWNFIELD is uncharted waters........may as well tag a "tackle eligible" as a "port" with the previous threatening passing game.....fix the OL which may surprise and see how well the WR corp prospers.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

Too early to rate with an entire Offensive scheme change and 2-3 new potential starting QBs.

I have stated that I think the O-line will be more solid than anticipated by some of the doom and gloom posters, but there will be a learning curve and some shake out. My guess is the O-Line will start a bit shaky but gel around mid-season.

can they afford to wait that long? 

WOW!!! I can't believe so many people gave C and even B!!! We had one of theworst OL's in the NFL last year and we have even less talent this year. All of our projected starters have enough experience and playing time for a reasonzble assessment. Dawkins still has a very long way to go to be even an average starting LT and he is both our best OL and least experienced, yet somehow they are going to a complete 180 and play well this year? That's what I call being a SERIOUS homer.

I think the OL was overrated by our fanbase to begin with, Eric Wood was always just an average C, the only real loss that will be felt is LG Ritchie Incognito, he was a star OL. Bodine will fill Woods shoes and not skip a beat there (meaning he'll be just as average as Wood was). I think Groy will be solid no matter where he plays, not Incognito level but consistent, Miller and Mills or whoever plays at RT will be the weak links. Dawkins looks like he'll be a good one.

It's up to Daboll  and Castillo to work with the OL players strengths. Hope a better RT is available at final cut down.

No need to bring in a high priced WR till the OL is viable and can protect the QB. 

Bills will be able to afford free agency in 2019 if OL needs to be fixed.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

No 'I' for incomplete?

This is the Only correct answer, regardless of being a blind homer or Sullivan-esque Negative Nilly. Absolutely No One knows how effective they’ll be. Not even McDermott, Daboll or the players themselves -And especially not any of us.

There’s tons of reasons no team has ever had an entirely different line blocking scheme every game, depending on opponents strengths/weaknesses, and none to support the concept. It seems to me we’ve always had OL concerns (except for the past few seasons) because we change coaching staffs so regularly, which changes schemes from zone to trap to bull to pull. We’ve always had a couple OL who were very good at one  scheme but didn’t fit another, creating a hodgepodge of different skill sets which results in overall poor performance. Now, suddenly, we’re going to be the 1st team ever to draw up different schemes every Wednesday and be victorious with it on Sunday? 

I don’t even think we’ll have a grasp on the skill level of these guys next season (‘19) because of this ridiculous concept.

I’m holding out hope this is all BS coming from Daboll, just to see how gullible we are. It’s either us or him who is. If it’s him, we’re doomed.

I think Castillo is a below average O-Line coach, I have never seen players excel from his coaching. So many unproven young players and a O-Line coach who I feel is below average. My bar is set very low on what this unit will do on the field. I think this is the year Castillo is fired, he is the only position coach that ranks in the bottom of the barrel on McD staff.

I am semi-confident in Dawkins at LT and Groy at C. Everything else is wither a ? or a negative grade. The FO seems to love Mills' intangibles, which scares me because Mills at RT is like Tolbert on a swing route... Also, maybe Daboll was just being coy, or maybe he hadn't had experience with our OL yet, but he said he was going to change blocking schemes depending on the opponent. Our OL had proven to be competent in the power scheme, but not so much in zone. Maybe that's changed with some of the turnover, but ideally you stick with your players' strengths until you have the players that are versatile enough to do what you want.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Now, suddenly, we’re going to be the 1st team ever to draw up different schemes every Wednesday and be victorious with it on Sunday? 

Did Daboll do this in Alabama, and if so, was it successful there?  I don't follow college closely at all so I'm wondering what his past OL blocking approach has been.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Did Daboll do this in Alabama, and if so, was it successful there?  I don't follow college closely at all so I'm wondering what his past OL blocking approach has been.

It’s the SEC West. They play McNeese State, A&M and Sister Mary’s School of the Blind.. Their 5th string punter could play OL.