Grade The OL  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Our OL.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

From my several decades of observing what works and what doesn't it is crystal clear to me that OL performance is way more about is much more about the whole of the unit rather than a mere sum of the talents of the individual parts.

Meaning, that one can take a group of player who clearly demonstrated poor  or average at best performance previously (an example would be the 2000 NY Giants who I think had a great OL coach named Mouse Davis and was anchored by former Bills Glenn Parker - routinely berated and run out of town here and Dusty Ziegler- good player but left here when the Bills could not guarantee him a starting job at C- but Davis coached this group to an SB berth with the OL playing a key role protecting limited talent Kerry Collins at QB and road grading holes for the Tiki Barber led run game).

An excellent OL coach working in a solid but far from great OL scheme can even make the SB.

On the other hand, the 2008 Bills invested heavily in the OL (we took cap hits of over 5 million a piece on FAs like Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker and about 3 million on Melvin Fowler and also had the developing into a Pro Bowler Jason Peters on the OL.

Despite these individuals showing great real world market demand as individuals, this OL unit simply did not perform and ended up with a losing record because even if you look good on paper, the game is played on grass or turf and not paper.

How good is this OL?

We'll see whether there is good chemistry 6 games or so into the season until then I give em an F.!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Regarding the 2017 OL, I found this information from Football Outsiders interesting:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2018/which-defenses-depended-non-pressure-sacks-2017

"Tyrod Taylor sure likes to run around a lot and try to make something happen, and sometimes he just runs out of time."

43% of the sacks allowed by Buffalo were deemed to be:

- Coverage Sacks

- Failed Scramble, which refers to sacks where the quarterback just takes off to run and doesn't make it past the line of scrimmage

- QB Fault, which refers to sacks where the quarterback just drops the ball or trips over his own feet without being touched by the defense

Edited by thebandit27

On 6/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, 3rdand12 said:

can they afford to wait that long? 

Afford? No, reasonable expectation, probably. Given all the changed I'd think even adding a stud to OL, that the unit would need a while to meld.

Time will tell.

This is another reason why I see AJM starting the first half of the season.

I think & hope that the worry over the O line is just worrisome fan reaction to the losses that have happened this off season .

The over all experience of those that have either been here like Groy & Miller or those that have been picked up like Bodine from other teams as possible replacements for the likes of Ritchie & E. Woods seem to me to be ample replacements for those 2 !!

Especially with Groy filling in admirably for Woods when he was hurt & being bigger than Woods .

I think the weakest link in the O line is the O line coach Castillo !! Sure he may be a good guy but was given a late spot on a SB winning team (i believe the Ravens)  & really hasn't done much to prove his greatness as a O line coach .

I believe that our previous O line coach that went to the Rams A. Kromer is 10 times the coach & think his blocking schemes to be much more to the strengths of the players on the roster then & now ...

As far as players though i think the talent for this line to be really good is there as long as the coaching & scheme can match with the talent available !! 

Oh & the fact that they need to find a knew RT to replace Mills !!

Edited by T master

On 6/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, 3rdand12 said:

no they can't. they have to establish a starting 5 early in camp. those first 2 games are critical and could play a huge role at the end of the season. we need to at least win one of them. thank god the chargers game is at home. if somehow we start 2-0, we definitely will make the postseason.

40 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Well we were a C+ last year, lost our 2 best players (3 if you count Glenn), so logically we've at least dropped a letter grade.

But we lost Dennison, that negates the lost grade.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, billsfan89 said:

My grade is a D factoring in likely injuries, at best I can see the unit realistically being a C if everything lines up perfectly this unit could be a B but that's a lot of luck with injuries and a lot of squinting your eyes to see every player on the O-line having their best season. 

LT - Dawkins - I feel very confident here, probably the only position that I can have confidence in on the O-line as a whole. Situation grade (B+).

LG- Vlad/Wyatt - A huge mess, a subpar vet or an unproven low round rookie. That's not to say that a 5th round guard can't be good and start but its hard to project confidence. Situation Grade (F)

C- Probably the second position along the O-line that I can feel most confident in. Groy in my mind played well in 2016 when he stepped in for Wood and with Bodine as a starting option (although not a very good one but an experienced player) there should be a competent center in this bunch. Situation Grade (C+)

RG- Miller was an above average Guard his first two seasons. Last year he regressed big time under the zone blocking scheme. This year we ditched the scheme and Miller is playing for his contract. This is a toss-up as you can project in realistic scenarios that Miller has both a good and bad season. Situation Grade (C-)

RT - Mills is a piss poor pass protector but an above average run defender, Newhouse is a nice backup but not a starter. I suspect another year of Mills at this position which while not tragic (at least you get solid run blocking) is leaving a lot to be desired. Sittuation Grade (D-)

That's two spots LG and RT where you have major issues and another spot in RG where you are taking a big risk on player improvement. Even Center is an unsure set of options. That's not inspiring a lot of confidence. 

NFL defenses smell blood. It's hard to cover up even one weak spot in this game of matchups. Our OL is once again littered with holes and question marks. I am trying to stay hopeful but I have been down this road many, many times. I can sadly recall some of the worst NFL players I ever saw "blocking" for the Bills.

I am hopeful about the team now because of this draft but it seems like no matter who is running the show, we neglect the OL or at the very least dedicate resources to blockers who can't play.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, 3rdand12 said:

Of course not.

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Incomplete right now.  But I think we are going to play some boring, run 2 downs, super safe, take no chances offense.  This should limit how bad the oline can be.

And some Jauron ball on defense? :) :) :) 

38 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

NFL defenses smell blood. It's hard to cover up even one weak spot in this game of matchups. Our OL is once again littered with holes and question marks. I am trying to stay hopeful but I have been down this road many, many times. I can sadly recall some of the worst NFL players I ever saw "blocking" for the Bills.

I am hopeful about the team now because of this draft but it seems like no matter who is running the show, we neglect the OL or at the very least dedicate resources to blockers who can't play.

Of course not.

And some Jauron ball on defense? :) :) :) 

Theyve taken an ol in the past two drafts, bill.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

In 3 of the last 5 drafts (and 5 of the last 7)--including 2018--the team has spent their 2nd pick on an OLmen

The issue hasn't been a lack of willingness to invest, but rather that they haven't been able to stick with a single offensive philosophy long enough for a unit of 5 to gain any type of consistency together.  Of course, I'd be remiss in saying that their relative lack of attention to the RT position has been an issue, but then again, they drafted Kouandjio/Henderson/Dawkins.

I'm most worried about the RT spot this year than any other area

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

They took a rookie in round 5 this year, that's not a major investment of draft capital in the position. But the Bills did invest a late 2nd in Dawkins last year which was a significant investment. Doing two trade ups in the first round (one for a QB which is always going to cost you more and eating a lot of dead cap was always going to compromise the roster in some areas. Our O-line and WR corps, in particular, were not able to be addressed due to having cleared out 3 of our 2nd and 3rd round picks to trade up for Allen and Edumonds. The D-line was where most of the team's limited free agency dollars went as well. 

To get your QB and add a premier young piece to the defense along with getting out of the cap sins of the past came at a cost of possibly handicapping the 2018 season. That might prove to be a worthy sacrifice as the team should have enough cap space come next season (69+ million with the ability to easily get that number up to 96 million. Or 91 million if you don't cut shady which is a more realistic number) without likely losing anything of value, a lot of the bigger contracts on the roster like Hughes, Clay, and even Shady if he dramatically falls off become a lot easier to cut with limited dead cap. Toss in another draft class and you could see the Bills really take that step up and fill some gaps and make the roster more complete. 

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

In 3 of the last 5 drafts (and 5 of the last 7)--including 2018--the team has spent their 2nd pick on an OLmen

The issue hasn't been a lack of willingness to invest, but rather that they haven't been able to stick with a single offensive philosophy long enough for a unit of 5 to gain any type of consistency together.  Of course, I'd be remiss in saying that their relative lack of attention to the RT position has been an issue, but then again, they drafted Kouandjio/Henderson/Dawkins.

I'm most worried about the RT spot this year than any other area

Good point in your comment about Bills and O line. When Bills brought in Mills and Ducasse i thought they were kidding, I really did. When it came to starting the season and Bills announced these two fellows i was jaw dropping astounded. and then pissed, and then confused ( were they that much smarter than the rest of Us ).
I still hold onto this confused anger.

Because i much like Bill have suffered more than enough under record breaking piss poor O Lineman the Bills have trotted out over the decades (!) i have little faith.

to Bill from NYC point.
It the product they keep putting out there>

Gee we had Kromer and Roman. and had a serious run game and decent PP.
Then we got McD and and a very rough go from the Right Side of that line.

all you folks who said Ducasse grade higher as last year went on ?
Don't care. reaching . straws etc.
Maybe as a back up. maybe.

and Mills PP ? frightening some games. i felt pretty bad for Tyrod and Nate Peterman

Edited by 3rdand12

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

They took a rookie in round 5 this year, that's not a major investment of draft capital in the position. But the Bills did invest a late 2nd in Dawkins last year which was a significant investment. Doing two trade ups in the first round (one for a QB which is always going to cost you more and eating a lot of dead cap was always going to compromise the roster in some areas. Our O-line and WR corps, in particular, were not able to be addressed due to having cleared out 3 of our 2nd and 3rd round picks to trade up for Allen and Edumonds. The D-line was where most of the team's limited free agency dollars went as well. 

To get your QB and add a premier young piece to the defense along with getting out of the cap sins of the past came at a cost of possibly handicapping the 2018 season. That might prove to be a worthy sacrifice as the team should have enough cap space come next season (69+ million with the ability to easily get that number up to 96 million. Or 91 million if you don't cut shady which is a more realistic number) without likely losing anything of value, a lot of the bigger contracts on the roster like Hughes, Clay, and even Shady if he dramatically falls off become a lot easier to cut with limited dead cap. Toss in another draft class and you could see the Bills really take that step up and fill some gaps and make the roster more complete. 

your post is quite reasonable as usual. Good points and likely how Bills are rolling it.
the bolded

I know it is just how you phrased it : )

But McBeanes CHOSE to not address the Offense early in the draft. 
That is not a comment to criticise the choices !

Bills decided to invest into the Franchise QB, ( and i am delighted they did !!!  )
But they clearly focused on Defense beyond that.

Next year .
embrace the process : )

the theme for the Bills should be honest

Next year we are going to kick ass. not this year though. beer prices reduced 

13 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

But we lost Dennison, that negates the lost grade.

Lol we'll see. The grass isn't always greener... We thought losing Rex our offense would improve too (since he was a "defensive-minded" coach) but it didn't. Losing Kromer was what really hurt.