106 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Our OL.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Grade them on what?  OTA and minicamp performances that we couldn't see in shorts?  Too soon for this. 

I'll judge on past NFL play. Start with Mills and review the footage of the Chargers game last year.In addition,Miller was benched after the Cincinnati game because of his lack of bullish run blocking abilities.Talk to anybody that is a Bengals fan and they will tell you Bodine is a below average run blocker.Ducasse???? Dear God. The line is a mess just like the flanker positions are imo. We will have to bite the bullet this year and realize this current team,offensively,has some eye opening weaknesses.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'll judge on past NFL play. Start with Mills and review the footage of the Chargers game last year.In addition,Miller was benched after the Cincinnati game because of his lack of bullish run blocking abilities.Talk to anybody that is a Bengals fan and they will tell you Bodine is a below average run blocker.Ducasse???? Dear God. The line is a mess just like the flanker positions are imo. We will have to bite the bullet this year and realize this current team,offensively,has some eye opening weaknesses.

I hate to agree with you bluesky.  I grade them depth wise at a D and hope they can become a C.

Anything better and I will never say anything bad about Castillo again.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:38 PM, GreggTX said:

Grade our OL as a whole. This is for run blocking and pass protection combines ability.

How or better yet why would we vote now?  

We have not seen the block, we have not seen who is starting where, we do not know who the QB will be,  - all of these things matter.

I do not anticipate it being very different from last year.  They lost a guard, but have a better scheme supposedly so it balances out.

My grade is a D factoring in likely injuries, at best I can see the unit realistically being a C if everything lines up perfectly this unit could be a B but that's a lot of luck with injuries and a lot of squinting your eyes to see every player on the O-line having their best season. 

LT - Dawkins - I feel very confident here, probably the only position that I can have confidence in on the O-line as a whole. Situation grade (B+).

LG- Vlad/Wyatt - A huge mess, a subpar vet or an unproven low round rookie. That's not to say that a 5th round guard can't be good and start but its hard to project confidence. Situation Grade (F)

C- Probably the second position along the O-line that I can feel most confident in. Groy in my mind played well in 2016 when he stepped in for Wood and with Bodine as a starting option (although not a very good one but an experienced player) there should be a competent center in this bunch. Situation Grade (C+)

RG- Miller was an above average Guard his first two seasons. Last year he regressed big time under the zone blocking scheme. This year we ditched the scheme and Miller is playing for his contract. This is a toss-up as you can project in realistic scenarios that Miller has both a good and bad season. Situation Grade (C-)

RT - Mills is a piss poor pass protector but an above average run defender, Newhouse is a nice backup but not a starter. I suspect another year of Mills at this position which while not tragic (at least you get solid run blocking) is leaving a lot to be desired. Sittuation Grade (D-)

That's two spots LG and RT where you have major issues and another spot in RG where you are taking a big risk on player improvement. Even Center is an unsure set of options. That's not inspiring a lot of confidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm optimistic:

• Dawkins had a strong rookie year--let's hope he continues to learn and improve
  • Gory has always been popular here on TBD--he has the opportunity to start now, I think he will take advantage of it and be very successful
  • Ducasse actually improved and played well towards the end of last season--I think he is solid, not a star, but improving;
  • Miller did well his first two seasons, for some reason took a step backward last season--with maturity and a scheme that better fits him, he will return to above average form (if not, Wyatt is just a matter of time)
  • Mills is mediocre and will always be, and Newhouse appears to be about the same--I think eventually O'Conner takes this spot and sores, if not, we still have experience and average play there.

All-in-all, above average and potential to be good, if not "very good."

Edited by CSBill

On 6/22/2018 at 9:17 PM, I am the egg man said:

No way of knowing this until the season starts.

This.

Final grading shall take place during halftime of game 1 of Ravens game.

On 6/23/2018 at 12:47 AM, MJS said:

Can I see them play first?

That would be cheating.

grade.

now.

Edited by inaugural balls