NFL Officiating Changes: Referee Gene Steratore is Retiring

HD has changed the way we watch the game.  It should change the way the game is officiated too imo.  They should have officials in the booth with monitors.  Until that happens, it’s going to be the same Bs. Even when it does happen, there will still be Bs, don’t get me wrong, but there will be less of it.  Imo, much less.  Officiating has been ruining sports for me for the last 20 years

2 hours ago, #standingbuffalo said:

the honest answer is no.

Thanks to the honesty for a few of you, not surprised.  :D

so I’m better with not knowing who it is and it doesn’t matter anyway?

i could recognize Hochuli and a few others but that wasn’t the same as hating Kerry Fraser or Bruce Hood as hockey refs

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

HD has changed the way we watch the game.  It should change the way the game is officiated too imo.  They should have officials in the booth with monitors.  Until that happens, it’s going to be the same Bs. Even when it does happen, there will still be Bs, don’t get me wrong, but there will be less of it.  Imo, much less.  Officiating has been ruining sports for me for the last 20 years

Let it go and just watch for entertainment and appreciation of great performance 

i quit cheering years ago for a team or athlete in almost every sports event and it’s made life better

if you are cheering or wagering you will never be convinced your team isn’t getting ripped off when they lose....

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Thanks to the honesty for a few of you, not surprised.  :D

so I’m better with not knowing who it is and it doesn’t matter anyway?

i could recognize Hochuli and a few others but that wasn’t the same as hating Kerry Fraser or Bruce Hood as hockey refs

Let it go and just watch for entertainment and appreciation of great performance 

i quit cheering years ago for a team or athlete in almost every sports event and it’s made life better

if you are cheering or wagering you will never be convinced your team isn’t getting ripped off when they lose....

So you just watch Bills games for entertainment and haven’t been upset at the officiating since you quit cheering for them?  Strange.

works for you in your life.  Regarding the Bills, I will never just watch for “entertainment”.  It’s more than that for me and always will be.  Will it give me high blood pressure and many painful moments?  Surely it will, but it will also make for one of the happiest days of my life when/if we ever win the super bowl.  It’s in my blood and it means more to me than just “entertainment”.  Good for you that you’ve able to classify this team as just that.  Never in my lifetime will it be just that.

i live in Vegas and wager quite often.  The referees have literally won me a lot of money on many games and have lost me equally the same amount of money.  I’ve been watching around 80 nba games a year and 50 college hoops games a year for the last 20 year+ years.  Many of those games I don’t have a penny on the line or a team to root for, yet I see how pathetic the state of officiating is on each level.  I realize how hard it is and I feel for those guys that get ripped for blowing calls.  Which is why these sports should do whatever they can to help these guys get it right.  It is possible to improve officiating.  Just because the leagues have been doing something a certain way for decades doesn’t mean it’s the best way.  Times have changed.  Technology has improved and has improved almost all facets of life, including almost every workplace.  Why would the nfl not want to use it to improve theirs.  Change is needed.  Sports aren’t just a pastime anymore.  They are a way of life (and a livelihood) for some.  Not everyone sees sports like you do,  Fix what’s broken.  

The Bills have not been worth a drop of emotional blood or sweat since 1995

it’s just tradition having them on TV at one on Sundays

Replay worshippers and stats losers have ruined so much of what was enjoyable about sports, they deserve each other.

Edited by row_33

• 2 weeks later...

2018 Roster of Officials Confirmed

The NFL roster of game officials for the 2018 season will include seven first-year NFL officials among the group of 121, the league announced today.

Field judge LAND CLARK (Pac-12), field judge MATT EDWARDS (Big Ten), side judge CHAD HILL (SEC), field judge ANTHONY JEFFRIES (SEC), back judge TONY JOSSELYN (SEC), line judge MARK STEWART (Big 12) and field judge DON WILLARD (Big Ten) will make their NFL officiating debuts this season.

Four officials – SHAWN HOCHULIALEX KEMPCLAY MARTIN, and SHAWN SMITH – have been promoted to referee for the upcoming season.  Each of them were referees at the highest level of college football prior to entering the NFL at different positions and have been part of the NFL’s Referee Training Program from their first season in the league. 

Both Shawn Hochuli (ED HOCHULI) and Alex Kemp (STAN KEMP) are the sons of former NFL referees.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

think of all the billions of people in the world and Hochuli's kid gets a job, what are the odds of that happening.....  ?

.. ....think either Anderson or Coleman has a kid on a crew.....and now we get Eddie Guns Jr......prolly gets a workout bonus and a free Bowflex......maybe the old man writes his penalty explanation dissertations......get your popcorn ready............

On 6/22/2018 at 7:13 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Haha, the guy who couldn’t even get a coin toss right?  He is so bad.  

And Gene was one of the best refs. Refs make good money.  I thought about doing it but I would snap if people started screaming at me.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, the guy who couldn’t even get a coin toss right?  He is so bad.  

And Gene was one of the best refs. Refs make good money.  I thought about doing it but I would snap if people started screaming at me.

Nope. That was Phil Luckett.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.. ....think either Anderson or Coleman has a kid on a crew.....and now we get Eddie Guns Jr......prolly gets a workout bonus and a free Bowflex......maybe the old man writes his penalty explanation dissertations......get your popcorn ready............

the old boy network runs everything in sports except the athletes

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yet somehow the Eagles won the Super Bowl against them with favorable calls and replay rulings.  :blink:

The Eagles made the single defensive play above the level of garbage the whole game.

Edited by row_33

...another half baked, dumbazz OTAG idea, but here it is.....why not put the full time zebras through OTA's and TC like players?....extensive film study review of rules current and upcoming......review of controversial calls from previous year (has to be at least TWO), and even hire kids who didn't make it to NFL (not sure if NFL could muster up the cash) for live situational training, etc......couldn't make the product worse.......may even make officiating better, which is why it would NEVER happen.....blatant admission of guilt from the high and mighty.......