NFL Officiating Changes: Referee Gene Steratore is Retiring

On 7/6/2018 at 4:10 PM, row_33 said:

the old boy network runs everything in sports except the athletes

Hmmm. This preseason alone I’m watching C. McCaffrey, C Beebe, Tremaine and Terrel Edmunds, et al. Many ex players are coaches as well. I don’t think your statement holds water. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yet somehow the Eagles won the Super Bowl against them with favorable calls and replay rulings.  :blink:

Steratore was the Ref. He made correct calls that made sense. Watch the sound FX replay with his mic’d up audio of the SB game. Unfortunately, Gene was one of the few you could count on to call an unbiased game when New England was involved. Most can’t see past their subconscious bias when throwing flags . They assume the Pats made the play because they’ve won games, not because they took liberties and held etc. 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hmmm. This preseason alone I’m watching C. McCaffrey, C Beebe, Tremaine and Terrel Edmunds, et al. Many ex players are coaches as well. I don’t think your statement holds water. 

Steratore was the Ref. He made correct calls that made sense. Watch the sound FX replay with his mic’d up audio of the SB game. Unfortunately, Gene was one of the few you could count on to call an unbiased game when New England was involved. Most can’t see past their subconscious bias when throwing flags . They assume the Pats made the play because they’ve won games, not because they took liberties and held etc. 

The Ref only announces the calls and the Super Bowl was made up of an "all star" crew just like all the playoff games are. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

36 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Ref only announces the calls and the Super Bowl was made up of an "all star" crew just like all the playoff games are. 

I’m aware of the REF ‘s role. He also looks at the replay and discusses with NY. Seriously, watch the video. Steratore carefully evaluates the replay, and explains his reasoning with NY during the game on the critical scoring plays. The Ref also has serious influence if the officials huddle up to discuss. Many officials have obvious bias with re to the Patriots, and Steratore was not one of them. 

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’m aware of the REF ‘s role. He also looks at the replay and discusses with NY. Seriously, watch the video. Steratore carefully evaluates the replay, and explains his reasoning with NY during the game on the critical scoring plays. The Ref also has serious influence if the officials huddle up to discuss. Many officials have obvious bias with re to the Patriots, and Steratore was not one of them. 

Not necessarily the case and I too many Bills' fans whine about refs with regard to NE.

The anatomy of an overturned call

Unless the referee is in on the original call, he does not intervene in the conference.  The only time the referee intervenes is if his crew-mates cannot agree and he has to break the tie.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not necessarily the case and I too many Bills' fans whine about refs with regard to NE.

The anatomy of an overturned call

Unless the referee is in on the original call, he does not intervene in the conference.  The only time the referee intervenes is if his crew-mates cannot agree and he has to break the tie.

Watch the replay ( sound FX version). Steratore absolutely is in on the scoring play reviews. His smart sensible analysis of the plays is on full display here. Maybe different if not a scoring play , I’m not sure. When I said huddling up to discuss, that’s just picking up a flag. It’s not an overturned call. And it’s not just Bills fans either. It’s obvious to all except NE fans. It’s subtle at times but it’s there. Especially with regards to holding calls, or the lack thereof. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

NFL Hires 24 Full-Time Game Officials

The NFL has hired 24 full-time game officials from among the current 121-person roster of officials, the NFL and NFL Referees Association (NFLRA) jointly announced today.

The 24 full-time officials, up from 21 in the inaugural season of the program in 2017, come from all seven on-field officiating positions and represent a collaborative initiative intended to promote the common goal of improving every aspect of NFL officiating.

In an effort to improve consistency, efficiency and accuracy, the full-time game officials will work throughout the calendar year on game preparation and game administration, analyzing current game trends, communicating with the clubs, and assisting to ensure that there is a qualified pipeline of future officials.

“Working with the full-time game officials last season was extremely beneficial,” said NFL Senior Vice President of Officiating ALBERTO RIVERON.  “Their presence greatly improved communication with the clubs.  Our collective goal is to make a positive impact on NFL officiating overall, and this initiative was an important factor for us in that effort.” 

“We are supportive of providing our members the opportunity to voluntarily commit additional time for additional compensation to NFL officiating, especially in the offseason,” said NFLRA Executive Director SCOTT GREEN. “This program is the result of extensive discussion and planning, and the NFLRA looks forward to continuing and supporting the program in its second year.”