NFL Officiating Changes: Referee Gene Steratore is Retiring

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wish Al Riveron would retire.

...LMAO.....he's the best and the brightest.....Seratore, McAulay, Eddie Guns & Triplette have announced....Triplette to the MNF booth as an analyst.....maybe the Commish in stripes is next?......or Bob from Accountemps, which would ensure quality continuity, right?.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

It's such a thankless job. God bless them each and every one (except the "just give it to them" d-ck).

i couldn't identify more than 3 NFL officials

i have no clue about any NHL or NBA officials any more, used to matter

umps i know a half-dozen names for incidents and how they "hate" Toronto

• Like (+1) 1

Always thought Steratore was one of the better refs. Never seemed to make the game about him, and was generally far more consistent than others. Even when he had an off day,  he appeared to get things equally wrong. ;)

The biggest danger the NFL has now in its officiating, is Riveron back in their studio. He needs to learn when to wind his neck in, especially when it comes to 'clear' evidence.

I’ll definitely miss Steratore. When you saw he was officiating a big game, you were confident it would be a fair contest. The sound FX replay of Super Bowl LII with mic’d up audio is a testament to Gene’s common sense interpretation of the rules. Something that seems lost on Al Riveron all too often.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Could you give me 3 refs who are consistently good for my watching of the NFL this season?

...seems like the closest I can come is Moe, Larry & Curly.......here's my half azzed proposal that will NEVER come to fruition......hire some more full timers.....they should be subjected to off season OTA's just like players.....on field practice with play calling, film study sessions, review of rules to shore up, especially what areas of the book were highly disputed or significantly blown last year.....are they above the need to get better?....too bad the NFL is too effin' cheap to develop a minor league system for BOTH players and officials.......MLB and NHL have it right on BOTH accounts.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy