I’m going to lose my ****. Taking questions ...

29 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Stocks are for suckers. I prefer to invest in hookers and blow.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. - W.C. Fields

The more things change...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, joesixpack said:

With what meager amounts of money I have left over each month I’m saving to buy an investment property. My savings rate will improve in a few years with the cessation of child support so hope to have one in maybe 6 years.

14 hours ago, joesixpack said:

With what meager amounts of money I have left over each month I’m saving to buy an investment property. My savings rate will improve in a few years with the cessation of child support so hope to have one in maybe 6 years.

Once I’m close to even on some of my actual stock trades (versus my actual investment positions), I want to get that money out of Dodge and appropriate it towards other investment options.

Through luck and good timing, stock trading has made me quite a few coins over the last two years but it is not for the faint of heart or the anxious and when it comes to my money I’m both. And I have the gambling mentality now where I wonder if I keep my “winnings” in the market, will the house eventually take it back. 

I dont have money to throw around but we’re comfortable and have some ok surplus. 

Edited by Juror#8

On 6/22/2018 at 7:38 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You have some sack son! 

The equities market ebbs and flows with emotion, and that's the problem at times.  In that regard, you're feeling exactly the way many other people feel. 

I'm primarily interested in dividend paying stocks in a brokerage account, don't deviate much from that and try to remove the emotion from the equation.  I've gotten better at that as I've gotten older and realize that I'm no smarter when I have a good run and not all that much dumber when i don't.   I'm not particularly creative when it comes to chasing hot money stocks or ideas, respect people who do but it just isn't me. 

On the other hand, I think it's important that we know who we are...who we really are when it comes to risk, time horizon and expectations.  There is no shame imo when an individual of any age decides to push themselves away from the table, though mathematically speaking odds of success improve over the long haul in the equities market. 

In addition, with increased life expectancy comes the need to be honest with our needs.  I'm planning to be around until 85ish, plan to have a bit of fun until o can't any longer, and want legacy money for my children if possible.

An interesting book on this subject is "Simple Wealth, Inevitable Wealth" by Nick Murray. Spoiler alert....I don't recall any mention of buying the stock of any companies building cell towers in the Mongolian Sea.

Have a great weekend, and with your recent change in fortune is it too early to suggest buying margarine, powdered milk and keystone beer?

Great post and thanks for the insight. I’m going to check out the Murray book for sure. Added to the list. 

Anyway, I’d love to get back into vintage watches trading/investing for purposes of diversification and as a hobbyist if nothing else but the market has changed and it’s become to hot to make any real coin recently. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Good luck with that!

I am assuming you have looked into mortgaging said investment property so you can purchase sooner if the opportunity arises? Or are you looking to pay cash at a tax or foreclosure auction?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Good luck with that!

I am assuming you have looked into mortgaging said investment property so you can purchase sooner if the opportunity arises? Or are you looking to pay cash at a tax or foreclosure auction?

Opm.

im doing as much research into it as possible so I have a solid understanding of the business before I purchase.

Seriously???  You’re coming here for investment advice?  I didn’t read most of this thread but I’m in the business of giving investment advice and there is a zero chance I’d tell you anything. I know nothing about you. Mainly how old you are and when you plan to retire.  Again I didn’t read this thread so you may have answered these questions however your first post looking for guidance did not. So I’ll go all Tom on you and call you a colossal idiot. 

20 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Did I miss a big market crash or something? 

If you lost $64k than presumably you have a portfolio sizeable enough to handle some fluctuation.

I think he put his 401k on “green”. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Seriously???  You’re coming here for investment advice?  I didn’t read most of this thread but I’m in the business of giving investment advice and there is a zero chance I’d tell you anything. I know nothing about you. Mainly how old you are and when you plan to retire.  Again I didn’t read this thread so you may have answered these questions however your first post looking for guidance did not. So I’ll go all Tom on you and call you a colossal idiot. 

He's actually coming here for emotional support than investment advice.

Best stock picker I know, by the way?  My mother.  She has an inimitable knack for selling at the bottom.  Markets or individual stocks.    I can reliably beat the markets by doing the opposite of what she does.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:02 AM, Juror#8 said:

For the sake of argument, let’s just say a person has lost $64, 212 in liquid cash in the market since yesterday at about 10:30 in the morning (not to mention the impact on his 401k etc.). That person would like to know: 

1. How is this market condition not Trump’s fault? What is he protecting (please read that not as a loaded question)?

2. To the people who know the global economic impact of trade and tariffs, etc., is all this posturing worth it from a big-picture domestic economic well-being  “for the good of the nation” standpoint? 

3. In the meanest, most scathing way you can (name-calling is ok) please convince this person that they’d be an idiot to cut their losses and panic sell and walk away while they’re still just barely up on the year (talking within now just hundreds of dollars). 

This may read like a political attack or a political question but it’s not. I just want to know as apolitically as you can your thoughts more economically than anything. 

$64,980

Thanks bros. 

ah yes, the sixty-four thousand dollar question.

over time, markets rise and markets fall, that is what they do. do not look at your portfolio on a daily basis, you will go insane and probably lose money.

10 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Nope, not advice. Just a ****ty day in the market. Was in it for the solidarity this go round. 

Nothing to see here ... 

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

ah yes, the sixty-four thousand dollar question.

over time, markets rise and markets fall, that is what they do. do not look at your portfolio on a daily basis, you will go insane and probably lose money.

Yep. I took some good advice and didn’t look the rest of Friday and probably won’t Monday either. That’s the coping mechanism. Trying to avoid a panic sell. 

Im good otherwise. 

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Getting a little too exhibitionistic and weepy for me, especially over financial matters.....

I won’t pretend that this whole thing has been coy by any means but dammit if it hasn’t been self-deprecating and a real legitimate !@#$ing hoot. 

We’ve established that I make investment decisions based on nothing more than thinking China has an assload of people and the fact that I like eating hamburgers outside. 

That, in of itself, deserves some !@#$ing love. 

So hug it out with me, biotch. 

And do you know I cried over this **** on Friday? 

Like ugly, snotty tears, son. 

So let me ask you, whatchu got on my tears, homie? 

Thats rhetorical. My guess is you have nothing.

So how about this ... politely step out of this thread, since it’s obviously not your !@#$ing lot in life, and I’m going to hit you up when I start my next thread which shall be entitled:

“I’d rather Row_33 chug irresponsible amounts of jenkem, quaaludes, and rum than be gratuitous in a thread where I’m just trying to be a little biotch to some sympathetic ears.” 

Taking questions under the pseudonym, “Cool Disco Dan.” 

Edited by Juror#8