NFL suspends Jameis Winston for 3 games

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure the time frame of when he did it matters as much 

...exactly Yolo....NO statute of limitations on the NFL Personal Conduct Policy.....Justice Goodell is judge, jury & executioner on HIS time table.....

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, for 26 of them, he flung them in the general vicinity of Brandon Marshall or Eric Decker and they came down with the ball

Exactly.

Which is also why he throws a ton of ints and is wildly inconsistent from game to game.

His entire skillset involves chucking it to a reasonably close area, and hoping that his receiver gets it.

Sometimes they do, sometimes the DBs do.

17 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Its not hard not to get accused of groping an uber driver, irregardless of what may or may not have happened.  Simply ride in the back seat and keep your hands on your phone. I do it all the time. Its easy if your an adult.  If you have read some of the things he has said to school kids or the fact that he probably assaulted a student while he was in college it is not unreasonable to assume that he touched the woman inappropriately. Maybe he just wanted to pat her on the leg in a friendly way, maybe (probably)he was trying to flirt. Either way, initiaiting unwanted physical contact with a stranger who is trapped in  a moving car that they can't get out of with you is wrong. He clearly  doesn't understand what consent is, nor does he seem to care to learn.

Thanks for sort of illustrate what I was talking about. The NFL floats out the idea of a 3 game suspension and measures the reaction to it before it becomes offical. If people go nuts they can increase it and blame fake news. If it goes by mostly un discussed in the media then the 3 sticks.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, for 26 of them, he flung them in the general vicinity of Brandon Marshall or Eric Decker and they came down with the ball

C'mon. That's a "reach"

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure the time frame of when he did it matters as much 

The time frame matters to the ability to conduct a reasonable investigation. 

If you investigate in a timely way, maybe the worker at the drive-through window noticed who was in the car and where they were sitting.  Maybe there would be a cash register record of what was purchased that would corroborate if there was just Winston or several guys in the car.  Maybe UBER has records that get destroyed after a time.  And the memory of the other people involved will be better.  A friend's kid got married almost 2 years ago to the day.  I remember driving here and there with various people in the car, and for several of the trips I know two particular friends were in the car with us, but we made a number of drives and no way could I accurately swear to who was in the car on some of them.

10 hours ago, Irv said:

Agree to a point - How did he throw 31 TD's for NYJ?  

Gailey's system. Not sure how many deep outs went for tds; my guess is that he didn't throw many. His accuracy isn't awful when he throws deep over the middle. To the sideline its a problem.  It will be interesting to see what happens if he starts again. The problem when he was here was when dbs started jumping the slants, if I remember correctly. It became pick 6 city.

Edited by MURPHD6

On 6/22/2018 at 11:37 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Hmmmmm...

I say dangle AJ and see if they bite.  Winston still has not blossomed into the guy they had hoped and is very mistake prone.  Now add in offseason stuff, they might have interest in a guy like AJ who has upside that could potentially blossom into a Winston replacement.  

If we could move AJ for a decent draft pick right now, I would do it.  Like if we could get a 3rd, do it.  I mean he was about to fetch multiple picks last season that included a 2nd so its not out of the question.  AJ could be some insurance with upside for them, and with how well Allen is progressing and the staff apparently liking what they see in Peterman, I would just do it.  

If they didn't already have a better QB as their back up then they might be interested in that. But Fitz is a better QB than McCarron and for the sake of 3 games that is what they will roll with. If Winston was being suspended for a year then I can see the long shot possible upside of AJ might entice them. I would be surprised ultimatrly if AJ McCarron ends up having as good of a career as Fitz. 

On 6/22/2018 at 12:49 AM, MURPHD6 said:

I'm pretry sure that the women he claims to have not assaulted in college filed a police report right away (and that she didn't even know that he was the teams quaterback until after), so the whole golddigging scenario is highly questionable. The NFL knows this, and that he would probably not have been drafted if charges had been brought against him and he was awaiting trial, and that, more likely than not, he would have been charged given the evidence if the same incident had happened today. So they probably assume that he is a risk to reoffend and is not worth the PR storm that would be unleashed on the league, if he assaults another woman.

Tha is what this is about, so I wouldn't waste my time with defending the dude. And if I were a commisioner, a coach, or a GM I wouldn't want him in the league either. Dude could cost you your job if he reoffends. And if a uber driver is posting complaints, he could be developing the profile of a predator, like Winslow and plenty of others.

And please can we stop acting like mutimillion dollar athletes are victims that woman are preying on here. Its not hard not to be accused of assault. Most of you get through the day without it happening, and the idea of settlments being some gold digging opportunity is ridiculous when considering how few offenders are convicted due to how the laws are written. You don't need cameras or extra security, you just need to know what enthusiastic consent is.

I do not pretend to know what happened with this UBER driver - but you are inaccurate with your assessment of the college incident. There is way more to the story that you do not reference/know that had a big impact on the woman’s criminal complaint.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:51 PM, MURPHD6 said:

Its not hard not to get accused of groping an uber driver, irregardless of what may or may not have happened.  Simply ride in the back seat and keep your hands on your phone. I do it all the time. Its easy if your an adult.  If you have read some of the things he has said to school kids or the fact that he probably assaulted a student while he was in college it is not unreasonable to assume that he touched the woman inappropriately. Maybe he just wanted to pat her on the leg in a friendly way, maybe (probably)he was trying to flirt. Either way, initiaiting unwanted physical contact with a stranger who is trapped in  a moving car that they can't get out of with you is wrong. He clearly  doesn't understand what consent is, nor does he seem to care to learn.

Hell, I get accused of groping an Uber driver at least twice a month.  And I don't even use Uber.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

So you’re telling us your wife drives for Uber? 

Then I'd get accused a hell of a lot more frequently than twice a month.  Hell, I'm gonna go grope her right now...be right back...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2018 at 11:08 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But I also think this kind of two years after-the-fact "Trial By Buzzfeed" is absolute bullcrap and should NOT be allowed to influence the NFL's discipline process.   If someone who is assaulted wants to pursue a remedy for an assault - report it to thhe law after it happens. 

Let the police investigate, get names & statements while events are fresh in people's minds.    But trial-by-social-media seguing into career consequences is just as nuts (in the other direction) as Brock Turner, 3 months.

And last but not least, 18 months after the fact, now she DOES want to be known as "the woman Jameis Winston groped"?  What changed? 

Tell that to the Cosby victims.