NFL suspends Jameis Winston for 3 games

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I hate to break the news to you, but that anecdote is the least of the things in Jameis’s past that make it “not unreasonable to assume he touched the woman inappropriately.”

Yeah I know. Theres an award winning doc on the dude. Updated. Thanks.

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Civil suit maybe?  Several articles claim there was no police report filed.  The Uber driver in question went public with the claims last November - to Buzzfeed.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/06/21/nfl-to-suspend-jameis-winston-for-allegedly-grabbing-female-uber-drivers-crotch-report-says.html

Kate said she filed a complaint with Uber after her ride with Winston, but declined to file charges because "I didn’t want to be publicly known as the woman who Jameis Winston groped."

I know there is a lot of harassment and sexual assault that is unreported or if reported, disbelieved and if believed, under-penalized - Brock Turner, 3 months, just sayin.

But I also think this kind of two years after-the-fact "Trial By Buzzfeed" is absolute bullcrap and should NOT be allowed to influence the NFL's discipline process.   If someone who is assaulted wants to pursue a remedy for an assault - report it to thhe law after it happens. 

Let the police investigate, get names & statements while events are fresh in people's minds.    But trial-by-social-media seguing into career consequences is just as nuts (in the other direction) as Brock Turner, 3 months.

And last but not least, 18 months after the fact, now she DOES want to be known as "the woman Jameis Winston groped"?  What changed? 

On the surface/my knee-jerk reaction to your post is that I agree.  However, neither you, nor I, can put ourselves in the position of a woman who has been sexually harassed/assaulted.

I don't think it's as easy as, "it happened, and I"m going to report it right now," for every victim.  I'm sure many women need time to process what happened to them.

Thanks to society, they probably go through a period of time in which they think it was "their fault."

Maybe I shouldn't have dressed that way.  Maybe I shouldn't have laughed at his stupid jokes.  Maybe I led him on without realizing it.

When 18 months pass by, I'll admit ... I'm pretty skeptical.  But I'm also careful to not pretend I know what that woman went through and felt.

It's a real life "he said/she said."  That's what's scary.  And these guys should never travel alone, or they should take videos whenever they're one-on-one with a female.

It's a terrible age we're living in.

I'm pretry sure that the women he claims to have not assaulted in college filed a police report right away (and that she didn't even know that he was the teams quaterback until after), so the whole golddigging scenario is highly questionable. The NFL knows this, and that he would probably not have been drafted if charges had been brought against him and he was awaiting trial, and that, more likely than not, he would have been charged given the evidence if the same incident had happened today. So they probably assume that he is a risk to reoffend and is not worth the PR storm that would be unleashed on the league, if he assaults another woman.

Tha is what this is about, so I wouldn't waste my time with defending the dude. And if I were a commisioner, a coach, or a GM I wouldn't want him in the league either. Dude could cost you your job if he reoffends. And if a uber driver is posting complaints, he could be developing the profile of a predator, like Winslow and plenty of others.

And please can we stop acting like mutimillion dollar athletes are victims that woman are preying on here. Its not hard not to be accused of assault. Most of you get through the day without it happening, and the idea of settlments being some gold digging opportunity is ridiculous when considering how few offenders are convicted due to how the laws are written. You don't need cameras or extra security, you just need to know what enthusiastic consent is.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Its not hard not to get accused of groping an uber driver, irregardless of what may or may not have happened.  Simply ride in the back seat and keep your hands on your phone. I do it all the time. Its easy if your an adult.  If you have read some of the things he has said to school kids or the fact that he probably assaulted a student while he was in college it is not unreasonable to assume that he touched the woman inappropriately. Maybe he just wanted to pat her on the leg in a friendly way, maybe (probably)he was trying to flirt. Either way, initiaiting unwanted physical contact with a stranger who is trapped in  a moving car that they can't get out of with you is wrong. He clearly  doesn't understand what consent is, nor does he seem to care to learn.

Well, here's my problem.  I "get it" that it isn't a legal finding, but when something affects a person's ability to earn a living and reputation, I think there should be a higher standard than what's "unreasonable to assume." 

Edit: if we're talking my personal opinion, I think the guy is probably scum and got comped by the Tallahassee police in the case of his college rape investigation-that-wasn't.  I just don't think personal opinions should drive NFL disciplinary matters, facts and evidence should.

• Like (+1) 1