Sporting News Ranks Sean McDermott Eighteenth Best Head Coach

2018 NFL coach power rankings: Bill Belichick and then ...

RANK 19

Sean-McDermott-2.jpg
Sean McDermott, Bills
With only a single season of head coaching, 19th is not a bad place to be for McDermott -- not with all the successful veteran head coaches in the league right now. The biggest feather in hisBills ballcap is the fact that he pushed this franchise back into meaningful January football for the first time since the Music City Miracle. Some folks think that was a miracle in and of itself. The lone blemish was the ill-fated decision to start Nate Peterman over a healthy Tyrod Taylor in Los Angeles. It almost cost Buffalo that much-coveted wild-card spot. McDermott has his work cut out for him with Taylor gone and Peterman competing with AJ McCarron and rookie Josh Allen for the starting spot.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:30 PM, BillsfaninSB said:

The HC ranking is a fluff piece and pointless. I disagree with the ranking.   However, my point is that I like articles and POVs in the media that underestimate the Bills.  

......ypu...."under the radar" works just fine for me.............

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

16th best roster put together by the 27th best GM and coached by the 18 th best coach.

None of these rankings really matter, but the 16th best roster is dubious from a talent perspective. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

18 is too low IMO. McDermott got the most out of a roster that wasn’t all that talented. He was the “anti-Rex” last year. The Bills were a playoff team with a negative scoring differential. IMO, that speaks to good coaching and execution when the game was on the line.

hell that's too high    Tyrod team won inspite of the stupid coach , lets put peter in on the road instead of home , Taylor will not be here to save his wanna be a coach A@@

On 6/21/2018 at 11:10 PM, Dadonkadonk said:

Only two issues with McD the coach is the fact he let Tolbert play and starting Peterman on the road in the playoff hunt.

...maybe my unfounded opinion(s), but I think Tolbert was on the roster more for his vet locker room presence versus RB prowess.......and I STILL think Peterman start was a Dennison whine that won out because he was hardly enamored with game planning for TT and inconsistent as hell in doing so (perhaps by design)....

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wonder where Dick Jauron used to rank in this because last year was Jauron Ball 2.0.  

..no where.....everybody assumed he was dead......looked like he was embalmed and his pressers resembled a wake............

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..no where.....everybody assumed he was dead......looked like he was embalmed and his pressers resembled a wake............

Haha.  A couple of things:

1). Jauron wasn’t as bad as a coach as people made him out to be.  His roster were terrible (why is on him too).  But this year was a Jauron type year.

2) McDermott certainly can grow as a head coach. Personally, I like offensive coaches because they tend to be more aggressive and you can find good DCs.  But I would like to see a more aggressive McDermott this year.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha.  A couple of things:

1). Jauron wasn’t as bad as a coach as people made him out to be.  His roster were terrible (why is on him too).  But this year was a Jauron type year.

2) McDermott certainly can grow as a head coach. Personally, I like offensive coaches because they tend to be more aggressive and you can find good DCs.  But I would like to see a more aggressive McDermott this year.

'Bisquit:

..the FUNNIEST line I ever heard about Dickie Jauron was when Tasker referred to his speedy, undersized defense as "bugs on a windshield"....Offensive minded coaches?.....Shades of Air Coryell?...Marchibroda?......Shula?......ahhhh, the good old years.........yes I respect Chuck Knox (RIP), but run, run pass, punt was worse than watchin' a can of Sherwin Williams dry on my porch in a rocking chair.......the MORE aggressive, the  MERRIER.......I'm in................

McDermott made too many in-game decision making mistakes last year to be regarded as a top HC.

He is still a DC masquerading as a HC until he proves otherwise.

I'm sure he invokes the power of Jesus as well as any of them, however.