Sporting News Ranks Sean McDermott Eighteenth Best Head Coach

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Buffalo hasn't had a decent tree since the "Dutch Elm Disease" season!

For anyone:  When was the last time the Buffalo Bills Head Coach was ranked above 18?

Probably Marrone after the team went 9-7 in 2014

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe so but there is no reason for him to be behind Gruden, Lewis, Garrett and Mike McCarthy (off the top of my head). This list loves past accomplishments regardless of the coaches’ role. Is anyone impressed by Mike McCarthy?!? 

I don't know how  McCarthy  survived his first two  years in G.B.. Possibly because  of Ted Thompso'ns expertise in drafting . Thompson isn't there anymore , and it shows.The  success of Aaron Rodgers is probably how he survived.

Edited by Wily Dog
sp

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Seven playoff appearances is a pretty good track record despite the futility of not advancing.   Again, look at the Bengals before he arrived as the HC. 

I bet no one in Cincy agrees with that.  Who else gets that many chances to fail at getting a talented team over the hump?

It really doesn't matter what happened before Lewis anyway.  He's long past the point he can be compared to the others before him. 

57 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Just my opinion, but they would have won the game in 2015 if it was Dalton and not McCarron. Dalton was on fire that year until he got injured.

Maybe.  But there were too many other chances. 

He's bottom 10 for sure.

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Just like the other thread where an article ****cans the 2018 Bills, this is fine with me.  Keep underestimating this team. 

...Garrett?.....Gruden with 10 years of "ring rust"?.....McD should at least crack the top 15 as a rook who did a solid job IMO.....

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Jon Gruden is ranked in the middle of the pack based off his 2002 SB winning season.  I'd move him down below his brother Jay, who IMO, is keeping the Redskins somewhat respectable.  I also don't think Marvin Lewis should be ranked as high as he is.  This is a coach who perennially underachieves and cannot win a playoff game.

......using Tony Dungy’s team and knowing the opponent’s playbook inside out. I’m not a Gruden fan. At ALL. I’d be disappointed if he coached my team. Let him prove himself in today’s NFL. 

Bills fans shouldn't complain about this ranking. It's not realistic to have a 1 year HC ranked very highly unless the team makes a deep playoff run or something.

I do agree that Gruden should be lower, but his past accolades are propping him up.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Bills fans shouldn't complain about this ranking. It's not realistic to have a 1 year HC ranked very highly unless the team makes a deep playoff run or something.

I do agree that Gruden should be lower, but his past accolades are propping him up.

.....then I'd bet if Joe Gibbs left NASCAR and returned to "between the stripes", he'd easily make the top 10........Gruden won the SB with Dungy's team in 2002 and last coached in 2008.....

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....then I'd bet if Joe Gibbs left NASCAR and returned to "between the stripes", he'd easily make the top 10........Gruden won the SB with Dungy's team in 2002 and last coached in 2008.....

Well, if we're going to give credit to Dungy for TB's Super Bowl appearance, we should probably be consistent and give Gruden credit for the Raiders making the very same Super Bowl since he coached them the previous season 

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, if we're going to give credit to Dungy for TB's Super Bowl appearance, we should probably be consistent and give Gruden credit for the Raiders making the very same Super Bowl since he coached them the previous season 

...would say that is fair.....but do you think he is over ranked 10 years removed?...............

59 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Garrett?.....Gruden with 10 years of "ring rust"?.....McD should at least crack the top 15 as a rook who did a solid job IMO.....

The HC ranking is a fluff piece and pointless. I disagree with the ranking.   However, my point is that I like articles and POVs in the media that underestimate the Bills.  

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The HC ranking is a fluff piece and pointless. I disagree with the ranking.   However, my point is that I like articles and POVs in the media that underestimate the Bills.  

....and "under the radar" works just fine for me as it sounds like it does for you bud....ranks right up there with the urinalists' "pre-season strength of schedule " prognostications....I'm CERTAIN their "crystal bawls" show injuries, cuts, waivers, new signings, PS callups, etc to easily make them "spot on".....

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Probably Marrone after the team went 9-7 in 2014

This article had Maronne ranked 15, up from 32 last year, and with the projection of him being in the top 10 in the future.  

Wild.  

Only 12 teams made the playoffs last year ... McDermott was the coach of one of those 12 and he brought a team that hadn't made the playoffs since God was a little fella to the post season... 18th seems a bit low IMO.

Of course he can drop after this season but as of now, nope.