Sporting News Ranks Sean McDermott Eighteenth Best Head Coach

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That team was super talented!! 26CB is right though in that they lacked heart and leadership. That’s another ding for Lewis. That roster should have competed for titles. 

I was referring to their QB Andy Dalton.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

On the evaluation forms I use at work, I can give someone a "T" for "too new to rate."  And that's what I'd give McDermott. 

He's off to a promising start but it's only been one season.  Is he the 18th best HC in the NFL?  I don't know.  As years go by, we may end up placing him in the Top Five.  Then again, he may drop into the Bottom Five.  

Some coaches like Bill Belichick improve with experience.    He's a better coach now then he was in Cleveland.  

Other coaches actually seem to regress.  George Siefert, for example, won a Super Bowl in his first year as a NFL HC and went 1-15 in his last season.

McD's first season won't define him.  

T is right- he could never win a game again and be a total bust or be enshrined in canton.

last year he was still running a team that had some spots filled by not “his guys”

As that happens more and more we will see. While I consider TreD Poyer and Hyde his guys, Tolbert and Ducasse were IMO too.... and northern did  much to impress me. 

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I just want to say that any list that places Jason Garrett higher than Sean McD is a questionable list at best.

We made the playoffs last year, we were the first team to beat the Falcons in their new stadium, all with Tyrod and a weak set of receivers. Tell me again how'd the Cowboys do last year?

I agree, Process. I call it Big City Bias. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe so but there is no reason for him to be behind Gruden, Lewis, Garrett and Mike McCarthy (off the top of my head). This list loves past accomplishments regardless of the coaches’ role. Is anyone impressed by Mike McCarthy?!? 

McCarthey is awful.

I think 18th is a bit low--I might say top 1/3 of the league, so probably in the 10-13 range.

I think I'd definitely put Belichick, Tomlin, Reid, Carroll, McCarthy, Zimmer, Payton and Pederson ahead of him.  I also think there's room to make an argument that any of Harbaugh, O'Brien, Marrone, Jon Gruden, Jay Gruden, Garrett, Riviera, Quinn, or McVay could go ahead or behind McDermott.

So considering that, I think anywhere between 9 and 18 can be argued within reason.

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

3 time pro bowler and #35 in HFL top 100 2 seasons ago.  Not good enough for Marvis Lewis though?

Tyrod is a two time pro bowler.  Pro Bowl selections mean very little in my opinion.  Dalton is not a Championship Caliber QB. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Wow, there are a lot of lousy coaches in the NFL.  

For my money, Jon Gruden would be number 32, just based on the utter garbage he’s been spewing on MNF the past 10 years or so.  And his initial moves with the Raiders are highly questionable.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tyrod is a two time pro bowler.  Pro Bowl selctions mean very little in my opinion.  Dalton is not a Championship Caliber QB. 

No not a SB champ type, for sure.  But he and his team are good enough to have won at least one playoff game.  Lewis is zero for 7.

Before Dalton, he had Carson Palmer .  Zero for 2.

Lewis is not a top 20 HC.  It's amazing he has a job. 

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think 18th is a bit low--I might say top 1/3 of the league, so probably in the 10-13 range.

I think I'd definitely put Belichick, Tomlin, Reid, Carroll, McCarthy, Zimmer, Payton and Pederson ahead of him.  I also think there's room to make an argument that any of Harbaugh, O'Brien, Marrone, Jon Gruden, Jay Gruden, Garrett, Riviera, Quinn, or McVay could go ahead or behind McDermott.

So considering that, I think anywhere between 9 and 18 can be argued within reason.

Agree with this assessment completely.  If McD gets the Bills back to the playoffs this season he'll jump into the top 10.  In theory, the 12 coaches who took their teams to the playoffs should occupy the top 12 slots.

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tyrod is a two time pro bowler.  Pro Bowl selctions mean very little in my opinion.  Dalton is not a Championship Caliber QB. 

You could at least be honest.  

Tyrod is a 2nd and 3rd alternate selected to play in the pro bowl.  

And last season he was begging for votes.   

thanks for mentioning TT in a McDermott thread.  

Not

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No not a SB champ type, for sure.  But he and his team are good enough to have won at least one playoff game.  Lewis is zero for 7.

Seven playoff appearances is a pretty good track record despite the futility of not advancing.   Again, look at the Bengals before he arrived as the HC. 

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Just my opinion, but they would have won the game in 2015 if it was Dalton and not McCarron. Dalton was on fire that year until he got injured.

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

another deep thoght provoking thread.  I’m ranking the trees in my yard. It’s more interesting. 

Buffalo hasn't had a decent tree since the "Dutch Elm Disease" season!

For anyone:  When was the last time the Buffalo Bills Head Coach was ranked above 18?