4 Teams that won't make the Playoffs again in 2018 (Bills #4)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/4-nfl-teams-that-won%e2%80%99t-make-it-back-to-the-playoffs-in-2018/ss-AAyVPvC?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=5

4. Buffalo Bills

"This shouldn't need much of an explanation. The Bills were one of only two teams to make the postseason with a negative point-differential, and the roster looks significantly worse on paper after the offseason.

No matter who wins the Josh Allen-Nathan Peterman-AJ McCarron quarterback battle from hell, the Bills passing game will be a mess. The offensive line was picked apart in the offseason and the receiving corps leaves plenty to be desired. It's going to be all LeSean McCoy on offense in Buffalo.

The defense, which played so well early in 2017, fell off a cliff in the second half and doesn't look any better heading into the next season. Forget about the playoffs, this team could be one of the worst in the league in 2018."

Well, this about sums up what many of us already think. For me, this is a much shorter version of my own thoughts (I tend to go into long-winded, detailed rants). The only thing they got wrong was the defense part. If they understood our defensive problems mainly were due to the interior line being awful, they'd understand that at least on paper, that area has been significantly improve, which should definitely benefit everyone else.

The one other thing the blurb mentioned -

Nathan Peterman has a real chance to win the Bills' quarterback job https://wp.me/p14QSB-aDH7 

Nathan Peterman has a real chance to win the Bills’ quarterback job

Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman looked absolutely terrible in his one and only start as a rookie last year, throwing five interceptions "

He didn't start only one game...I won't get too onto them for not remembering that, as many Bills fans seem to forget that he started the game on Hoth as well. And if he somehow earns the starting job, he must've shown something really promising in training camp.

I completely disagree about the roster being worse “on paper”. The front 7 got significantly better, which in my opinion, was our biggest weakness last season. The offensive line is a question mark but I really don’t think it’ll be as bad as people think. The QB position is either going to be a wash or an upgrade, we’ll have to wait and see

• Like (+1) 6

Coming from a guy that picked us to go 3-13 last year.  Like prior to last season, I don't know what to expect from this team.  They could be the worst team in the league or compete for a playoff spot.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm totally fine with it. They got the playoff drought off their back. Now it's all about developing Allen the right way, so that they're contenders for the next decade.

My exact thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1

The roster "looks significantly worse on paper" -- I heartily disagree.

QB -- no worse, and possibly much better (I admit some may disagree and say we will miss Tyrod's ball security)

RB -- no worse unless you're expecting Shady to drop off (and a better backup)

WR -- no worse with an influx of young talent (admittedly a question mark)

OL -- worse on paper but also unknown

ST -- no worse

DL -- better on paper (Star, Phillips, Murphy)

LB -- better on paper (Edmunds, Milano 2nd yr)

DB -- no worse, perhaps better

Also, add a new OC who appears to be better "on paper."

Reporters gotta write about something this time of year...

• Like (+1) 5

last year we were supposed to tank....3-13....worst schedule ever, bla,bla,bla.

this year we are supposed to suck again. other than the front half of the schedule being loaded with road games, i can't see why we can't reach 10-6.

defense will take a big leap forward,  our passing game will take a big leap forward. we will see a lot less 3 and outs. our pass catching players are good enough to move the chains.

after being 15 yds. away from  last in the league in passing, there's no where to go but up.

if we can go 3-1 out of the 1st 4, it would be a miracle but even with 2-2  we are in good shape.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

He didn't start only one game...I won't get too onto them for not remembering that, as many Bills fans seem to forget that he started the game on Hoth as well. And if he somehow earns the starting job, he must've shown something really promising in training camp.

Well, there's at least one or two members here that will declare this evaluation of Peterman as gospel and a moral victory.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I feel we had to take a step back in order to make several steps forward, previous teams would have stayed with an average QB (see Fitz, losman and Edwards) rather than rolling the dice.

i’m glad we didn’t trade 2019 picks to move up

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Disagree on QB for the short term. Hopefully long term better. 

More turnovers equals more losses. How do you figure we are no worse at the position with these three guys?

Just a gut feeling that Daboll's offense will be better suited to the personnel, and whoever wins the QB job will allow the receivers to make plays.  Did you read the thread yesterday talking about Tyrod's sack and 3-and-out rankings?  Also, a lot of folks are assuming the Bills will become turnover prone.  Yes, they'll probably turn it over a bit more but that doesn't mean the offense will be worse.

I freely admit this is just a guess and I have no crystal ball.  If Allen isn't ready and Nate/AJ make it a habit to throw the ball to the wrong jerseys it will be a long season.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they'll be fine.   The offense will be better bc Daboll is infinitely better than Dennison , the O Line will have a chance to block again and we'll have a legitimate pocket presence at QB.  The D will be better.   I don't think a roster turn analysis is all that useful.   The center, LT and guard positions are fine as f ing Dennison's stupid zone blocking scheme put Miller on the bench.   Groy = beat up Wood.   Dawkins = can't stay on the field Glenn.   WR position got a lot bigger in the past 18 months.   

Trust the process.   With Dennison gone, This coaching staff is now top 10.  Reeelaaax.  This squad is in good hands.   Hell, put NP out there.  The LA game was a silly outlier.   The guy can play.  

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm totally fine with it. They got the playoff drought off their back. Now it's all about developing Allen the right way, so that they're contenders for the next decade.

This is EXACTLY where I’m at. The Bills are trying to build for a championship not another WC. The defense could be really good and the quarterback (hopefully) is on the roster. With 9 picks and $100M, 2019 is the year to make the leap.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is EXACTLY where I’m at. The Bills are trying to build for a championship not another WC. The defense could be really good and the quarterback (hopefully) is on the roster. With 9 picks and $100M, 2019 is the year to make the leap.

Ditto.  2018 is a year in which I hope the Bills are a playoff team.  In 2019, I'll expect it.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Looking at the UFA list for next season, we may have to sign a #2/#3 WR and draft another high.  I was looking for our Alshon/Watkins/Robinson and I don't see him on there.

huh i was expecting the usual... 'because they let tt go they will now burn in hell,

and josh allen is the worst draft pick ever and peterman is mister 6 picks. No playoffs."

like an espn hot, steaming take.

Edited by Albwan