Star Trek: Return of Picard?

/dev/null

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/19/patrick-stewart-may-return-as-capt-picard-amid-cbs-push-to-expand-star-trek-franchise.amp.html

I'm not sure how I fell about this.  My preference for TNG and Picard has been well documented over the years on TSW, but I kinda got a funny feeling a TNG/Picard reboot might end up getting Godfather Three'd

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hmm I cannot see them doing that with the rebooted Star Trek Universe with Kirk played by Pine (I actually have never seen Star Trek: Beyond not liking how they reused Khan in Star Trek V2 II).

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/06/two-new-star-trek-tv-shows-and-two-limited-series-are-in-development.html

From Entertainment

* A series set at Starfleet Academy.
* A limited series whose plot details are currently secret.
* A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story.
* An animated series whose plot details are also secret.

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What’s a TNG?

The New Generation.  Usual abbreviation for the series was ST:TNG.

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

From the Weird Al Yankovic song White and Nerdy...

”the only question I ever thought was hard, do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?”

Not really a fair statement, most of us white nerds are fond of both Captains.  But there is a debate as to which was the superior commanding officer.  A case could also be made for The Sisko.

The rest of the Captains are kinda like Presidents Chester Arthur or John Tyler.  Yeah they sat in the big seat at some time or another and there might be a middle school named after them somewhere, but they're not gonna make Mt Rushmore any time soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

As a vetran Trekkie, I wish they would just leave it alone.  The re-boot movies have gotten progressively worse, and while I haven't seen all of the Discover episodes, I wont say it is bad, but it just feels like a different sci-fi franchise.  For me, everything past Deep Space 9 has been mediccre to terrible.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/19/patrick-stewart-may-return-as-capt-picard-amid-cbs-push-to-expand-star-trek-franchise.amp.html

I'm not sure how I fell about this.  My preference for TNG and Picard has been well documented over the years on TSW, but I kinda got a funny feeling a TNG/Picard reboot might end up getting Godfather Three'd

I can't see Stewart reprising Picard for an entire series, and I have a hard time imagining that any actual reboot of the TNG would be any good, no matter who is cast. I loved that show (the first couple seasons not so much) but I have no faith in anyone's ability to reboot it. I would vastly prefer to see what the next chapter might be for characters like Picard, Riker, Data, Worf, etc, provided it was new material set some time after the events of TNG.

I've been curious about the murmur over Stewart returning to the role in a movie directed by Quentin Tarantino. I don't know if that's still a thing, or even if I like that idea (but it might make for an uncharacteristically brutal Trek movie), but I haven't head anything on that front for a few months.

Whatever they do, as long as they stop redesigning Klingons, Romulans, and everyone else, and stop with the $#%@ing Kelvin time line, something with Picard might actually be good.

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Given the recent ST efforts I sense nothing but disappointment in any reboot.  The most recent projects involving any original cast just have been uninspiring with the worn out theme of our heroes going up against a meglo-maniac bad guy every time.  I just sense a lack of willingness by the studio to get back in the spirit of the original with in-depth perspective of the characters such as what was done with "The Naked Time", "The Galileo Seven", or "Errand of Mercy."  Employ complex characters such as Matt Decker or show vulnerable characters such as Simon Van Gelder.

11 hours ago, Azalin said:

I can't see Stewart reprising Picard for an entire series, and I have a hard time imagining that any actual reboot of the TNG would be any good, no matter who is cast. I loved that show (the first couple seasons not so much) but I have no faith in anyone's ability to reboot it. I would vastly prefer to see what the next chapter might be for characters like Picard, Riker, Data, Worf, etc, provided it was new material set some time after the events of TNG.

I've been curious about the murmur over Stewart returning to the role in a movie directed by Quentin Tarantino. I don't know if that's still a thing, or even if I like that idea (but it might make for an uncharacteristically brutal Trek movie), but I haven't head anything on that front for a few months.

Whatever they do, as long as they stop redesigning Klingons, Romulans, and everyone else, and stop with the $#%@ing Kelvin time line, something with Picard might actually be good.

Nearly every Star Trek related effort for nearly the last 20 years has been poor.  Enterprise was very uneven but could be entertaining such as the "In A Mirror Darkly" romp where the producers just decided to go for broke including Archer wearing the wrap around tunic that the producers extended to Shatner after "The Enemy Within" to help Shatner hide his growing gut.

They should leave TNG alone.  It's literally the only Star Trek product that gets universal acclaim from both die hard and casual fans.  

The TNG series finale is an example of near perfect stagecraft.  The writing and acting were excellent.    

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/21/2018 at 9:07 AM, shrader said:

I'm still hoping for Samuel Jackson as Picard in that rumored Tarantino Star Trek movie from earlier in the year.

With John Travolta as #1 Riker and Bruce Willis as Data.

I'll pass on having a Klingon on the bridge, what a stupid idea.