Joe B: 53 Man Roster Projection - Final

16 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

His list has only 51 players.  So, I would add an O-lineman that can play multiple positions, and keep Logan Thomas as a 4th TE.

16 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

His list has only 51 players.  So, I would add an O-lineman that can play multiple positions, and keep Logan Thomas as a 4th TE.

My rule use of thumb.....

3 QB

4 RB/FB

6 WR

3 TE

8 OL

24 offense

8 DL

6 LB

9 DB

23 on defense

K, P, LS

3 special teamers

50 roster spits

the 3 extra would fill in fir short term injured players or young rookie picks, ir other raw talent you fear won’t get to PS

if AJ injury is a 6 week injury then buffalo likely has a 4th QB on the roster

The other 2 spots

1 on offense between RB, TE, WRm and IL

1 on defense would be between a LB and DB

53 Man Roster Projection from Cover 1:

NFL Preseason Week 3: Bills 53-man roster prediction

Two games are in the books, with two more to go. Going into the preseason week three matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals, the dress rehearsal game will define not just the starters for week one; it’s also the best opportunity for second-teamers to separate from the third-stringers and guarantee their places on the 53-man roster. Here’s my prediction of who would be the Bills’ choices if the cut day were today:

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Two games are in the books, with two more to go. Going into the preseason week three matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals, the dress rehearsal game will define not just the starters for week one; it’s also the best opportunity for second-teamers to separate from the third-stringers and guarantee their places on the 53-man roster. Here’s my prediction of who would be the Bills’ choices if the cut day were today:

Cover 1 is much better at play autopsies than roster predictions.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The first part of the explanation for keeping Coleman (Beane values his picks) is pretty weak. A 7th round pick in 2020 is about as close to 0 as you can get on the trade value charts...

• Like (+1) 1

I actually would feel bad for McCaron if he does become our 3rd stringer behind Allen and Peterman.  

He fought to get his release to seek out starting opportunities and it's possible he actually went backwards.  

If I was him and I was 3rd on the depth chart...I would ask for my release.  Someone could use him as a #2.

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually would feel bad for McCaron if he does become our 3rd stringer behind Allen and Peterman.  

He fought to get his release to seek out starting opportunities and it's possible he actually went backwards.  

If I was him and I was 3rd on the depth chart...I would ask for my release.  Someone could use him as a #2.

What did you witness in his play so far to bring upon this opinion? I understand the philosophy behind it, but his execution on the field, despite a OL with protection issues, was terrible vs the Browns. His sample size is small, so we may not have seen the best of AJ, I'm just not sure that a QB making QB2 money that has fallen to QB3 on a thin depth chart at OBD is really going to be in high demand on the open market.

I don’t think Taiwan Jones will make the 53. I think it’s obvious we need to upgrade the LB room. I feel they will carry 5 CB’s not 4. O’Leary makes it. not sure on the fifth DT or DE either. Ryan signed with us quickly for a reason wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him on the team. I think there 53 is pretty accurate. With a couple of possible exceptions. Wouldn’t be surprised if Beane makes a trade or two either. And they will be active on cutdown day ?

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Considering he received a $4m signing bonus , and another 3.9m of his contract is guaranteed I doubt AJM would do this. He didn’t receive that much interest before the injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What do you disagree with?

There isnt much I agree with, but I am also not a locally respected website.  But in terms of the things I didnt agree with:

Keeping McCloud over Streater:   If the writer suggests keeping Taiwan Jones for his special team’s ability what is the point of keep McCloud?  I ask because Jones in that instance would be your KR, so they keep McCloud on the merit of what?   I feel it's more likely McCloud goes to IR for the year.  Streater can play gunner on special teams and provides more experience and speed than McCloud.

Keeping Lee, Thomas, and Croom over O’Leary:   It’s not so much I don’t think they will cut O’Leary, its more about them keeping the over three over him.   I see the Khari Lee point, he is the best blocker of the group.   But both Croom and Thomas over him?   I ask what does Croom provide that Thomas doesn’t?   I’ve never seen the emergence, or perceived emergence of Croom as a threat to O’Leary, more of a chance to see if he can beat out Lee and Thomas.   I still think Croom gets cut.

Keeping Hatley and Ryan Russell:  Why?  In my opinion the only way Russell makes the team is if they Short Term IR Murphy, which could happen.  But long term what does either of these guys provide except holding the bench down on game days?  They provide nothing on special teams, with the rule change lineman are less valuable there.    You need more defensive backs and linebackers in that area, which brings me to

Keeping 4 Cornerbacks:  I understand they will use the three safety look a lot, but four cornerbacks?  I believe they kept five last year and depth was an issue.  Maybe they sign players from another team but I would be shocked if they only kept 4.

Siran Neal:  I don’t think they outright cut the kid.   He is there 5th rounder and I think someone who can help on special teams.  Given the fact they use the three safety look they will need depth there.   I know he hasn’t been stellar this offseason but he seemed to come on a bit last game. 

6 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

What did you witness in his play so far to bring upon this opinion? I understand the philosophy behind it, but his execution on the field, despite a OL with protection issues, was terrible vs the Browns. His sample size is small, so we may not have seen the best of AJ, I'm just not sure that a QB making QB2 money that has fallen to QB3 on a thin depth chart at OBD is really going to be in high demand on the open market.

Just based on the projection depth chart from Cover 1.  They have Allen 3rd.

28 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

There isnt much I agree with, but I am also not a locally respected website.  But in terms of the things I didnt agree with:

Keeping McCloud over Streater:   If the writer suggests keeping Taiwan Jones for his special team’s ability what is the point of keep McCloud?  I ask because Jones in that instance would be your KR, so they keep McCloud on the merit of what?   I feel it's more likely McCloud goes to IR for the year.  Streater can play gunner on special teams and provides more experience and speed than McCloud.

Keeping Lee, Thomas, and Croom over O’Leary:   It’s not so much I don’t think they will cut O’Leary, its more about them keeping the over three over him.   I see the Khari Lee point, he is the best blocker of the group.   But both Croom and Thomas over him?   I ask what does Croom provide that Thomas doesn’t?   I’ve never seen the emergence, or perceived emergence of Croom as a threat to O’Leary, more of a chance to see if he can beat out Lee and Thomas.   I still think Croom gets cut.

Keeping Hatley and Ryan Russell:  Why?  In my opinion the only way Russell makes the team is if they Short Term IR Murphy, which could happen.  But long term what does either of these guys provide except holding the bench down on game days?  They provide nothing on special teams, with the rule change lineman are less valuable there.    You need more defensive backs and linebackers in that area, which brings me to

Keeping 4 Cornerbacks:  I understand they will use the three safety look a lot, but four cornerbacks?  I believe they kept five last year and depth was an issue.  Maybe they sign players from another team but I would be shocked if they only kept 4.

Siran Neal:  I don’t think they outright cut the kid.   He is there 5th rounder and I think someone who can help on special teams.  Given the fact they use the three safety look they will need depth there.   I know he hasn’t been stellar this offseason but he seemed to come on a bit last game. 

I think he has the right 6 receivers though I agree it essentially comes down to Streater or Ray-Ray for the 6th spot.  I don't think Taiwan Jones makes the team (he has hardly been used through 2 pre-season games) so they could even go a running back light and go for a 7th receiver with Streater, McCloud and Holmes all offering some ST ability? 

TE - Lee is going to make the team as a blocker who offers some receiving ability. I don't see them keeping 4.  Why would they when none of the other 3 have made a big impression. I'd keep O'Leary ahead of the other two but I don't care which one of the 3 they keep.... just don't keep 4 Tight Ends when 4 haven't deserved to make the team.

I think 5 DTs and 5 DEs stems directly from concern around Trent Murphy and Kyle Williams health wise. I can see them IR'ing Murphy and so the 5th becomes the 4th. If they are doubtful about Kyle being full go week 1 they will keep an extra DT to open the season. 

4 corners? Yep. There is no way they only go with 4. In fairness to the author the 4 he has them keeping are the only 4 I expect from the current roster to make the opening day 53. I expect the 5th corner for week 1 is currently on someone else's roster. 

Siran Neal is an interesting case. I think they see him long term as a big nickel. They didn't use the 3 safety look at all last year - 0% of defensive snaps. They have practised some with Bush in there as a 3rd safety in goalline and 3rd down scenarios in a variation of the big nickel (medium sized nickel maybe?) but I doubt that means an extra safety is "needed". The question with Neal is do they believe he would clear waivers? If they don't then I think they keep him on the 53 as a luxury and give him a redshirt year where he is inactive every single week. Feels like a waste of a spot but they clearly see some long term upside in him.  

I haven't looked at any projections yet. Here is mine going into preseason inter-team scrimmage #3. Feel pretty confident about it at this point, although jobs can be lost/gained over these next eight days.

QB - Nathan Peterman (1)
AJ McCarron (4/-) / Josh Allen (R-1)

RB1 - Lesean McCoy (9/3)
Marcus Murphy (3/1)

RB2 - Chris Ivory (8/-) 
Patrick Dimarco (7/1)

WR1 - Kelvin Benjamin (4/1)
Andre Holmes (7/1) / Raymond McCloud (R-6)

WR2 - Zay Jones (1)
Jeremy Kerley (7/-) / Corey Coleman (2/-)

TE - Charles Clay (7/3)
Khari Lee (3/1) / Jason Croom (1)

LT - Dion Dawkins (1) 

LG - Vladimir Ducasse (8/1)
Wyatt Teller (R-5)

C  - Ryan Groy (4/3)
Russell Bodine (4/-)

RG - John Miller (3)

RT - Jordan Mills (4/2)
Marshall Newhouse (8/-)

RDE - Jerry Hughes (8/5)
Eddie Yarbrough (3/2)

NT - Star Lotulelei (5/-)
Rickey Hatley (1)

DT -  Harrison Phillips (R-3)
Adolphus Washington (2) / (Kyle Williams (12) - injured)

LDE - Shaq Lawson (2)
Trent Murphy (4/-) / Terrence Fede (4/-)

WLB - Matt Milano (1)
Ramon Humber (9/2)

MLB - Trumaine Edmunds (R-1)
Tanner Vallejo (1)

SLB - Lorenzo Alexander (13/2)
Deon Lacey (5/1)

CB -  Tre'Davious White (1)
Taron Johnson (R-4) / Levi Wallace (R-U)

CB -  Vontae Davis (9/-)
Phillip Gaines (4/-)

FS -  Jordan Poyer (5/1)
Rafael Bush (8/-)

SS -  Micah Hyde (5/1)
Dean Marlowe (3/1) / Siran Neal (R-5)

K - Steven Hauschka (10/1)
P - Jon Ryan (14/-)
LS - Reid Ferguson (2)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I haven't looked at any projections yet. Here is mine going into preseason inter-team scrimmage #3. Feel pretty confident about it at this point, although jobs can be lost/gained over these next eight days.

Literally the ONLY change I'd make to that at this stage is punter. Schmidt has much more leg than Ryan at this stage. Other than that I'm 100% with you. And I suspect Levi Wallace and Tanner Vallejo are cut within a couple of days of cut downs and replaced by people on other squads.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Literally the ONLY change I'd make to that at this stage is punter. Schmidt has much more leg than Ryan at this stage. 

He has Peterman as the starting QB.  Who took over this TBD account? :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz