Buffalo Rumblings: Analytics-based approach paying off in professional sports, but the Bills only have "one toe in" the water

Analytics ruined baseball.  Bunting?  Nope.  Hit and run?  Nope.  Stealing bases?  Nope.  Not statistically sound.  Not even if you need one run to tie or win the game in the 9th inning.  

Not so for football.  The one area where analytics would make a difference is on 4th down decisions, where the vast majority of NFL coaches continue to punt on 4th down when going for it would increase the chances of winning.  If the NFL doesn't even accept that demonstrably correct analytic, why would they accept more complicated analytics?  I disagree with Schopp on the time of day, but on 4th down decision making, he is absolutely correct.

• Like (+1) 1

Nice to see you’re back with another high quality piece of work to validate your confirmation bias. Just to make sure I have this straight, an article published two head coaches, one general manager, and one analytics guy ago is representative of the current staff because of this gem:

“I met with the then head of Bills analytics a few years ago,” says Buffalo Rumblings editor Dan Lavoie. “The team was much more interested in how data could drive fan interaction than game decision-making. Of course, we’ve moved two head coaches and a GM since then, but I’d be surprised if something changed.

...and because of an article rambling on about the snow game without offering anything aside from the author’s opinion to back it up. 

Sound reasoning. 

Edited by transient

5 hours ago, transient said:

Nice to see you’re back with another high quality piece of work to validate your confirmation bias. Just to make sure I have this straight, an article published two head coaches, one general manager, and one analytics guy ago is representative of the current staff because of this gem:

“I met with the then head of Bills analytics a few years ago,” says Buffalo Rumblings editor Dan Lavoie. “The team was much more interested in how data could drive fan interaction than game decision-making. Of course, we’ve moved two head coaches and a GM since then, but I’d be surprised if something changed.

...and because of an article rambling on about the snow game without offering anything aside from the author’s opinion to back it up. 

Sound reasoning. 

I despise analytics fundamentalists. It’s like a religion.