Buffalo Rumblings: Analytics-based approach paying off in professional sports, but the Bills only have "one toe in" the water

Analytics-based approach paying off in professional sports

Another interesting article about analytics. And no, it's not "moneyball." 

Here are some notable highlights:

• No NFL teams were considered to be “All in.”
  • In all four major sports combined, only one team that was not ranked “All in” or “Believers” have won a Championship (only one of twelve).
  • The sole exception was in the NFL, when the Denver Broncos (“Skeptics”) won the Super Bowl in the 2015-2016 season.
  • Winning percentages between “All in/Believers” were contrasted to the percentages for “Nonbelievers.” The largest disparity between these groups was in the NBA. The NFL had the smallest degree of difference between “All in/Believers” and “Nonbelievers.”

I don’t think the assessment is very current. 

Buffalo rumblings treid to build build a bridge from the past to the present based on one event contrary to what analytics dictact. But that one event was during a prolonged snow squall....

im calling this labeling contrived and irrelevant at best 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The common understanding of Analytics is that it is using any and all data.  Measuring and grabbing any data point to support an argument and trying to make sense of it is a poor approach.   

McD has said in interviews that certain data is more important that other data.   As a Lean Six Sigma Master Black this is what I want to hear from a process oriented coach.   McD should be measuring HIS process, and identifying his key performance indicators (key measures).  Then executing to drive those  key numbers.   

Based on my limited information on what McD is doing I think the Bills are going about it the correct way.   I just would like him to say "our process".   It is not as if there are no other coaching processes.   Everything is a process even if it is not documented - even Rex and the clowns before him had a processes, just not a good ones.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Analytics-based approach paying off in professional sports

Another interesting article about analytics. And no, it's not "moneyball." 

Here are some notable highlights:

• No NFL teams were considered to be “All in.”
  • In all four major sports combined, only one team that was not ranked “All in” or “Believers” have won a Championship (only one of twelve).
  • The sole exception was in the NFL, when the Denver Broncos (“Skeptics”) won the Super Bowl in the 2015-2016 season.
  • Winning percentages between “All in/Believers” were contrasted to the percentages for “Nonbelievers.” The largest disparity between these groups was in the NBA. The NFL had the smallest degree of difference between “All in/Believers” and “Nonbelievers.”

So the Cavs and the Warriors have been using "data" to dominate the NBA finals the past years?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

So the Cavs and the Warriors have been using "data" to dominate the NBA finals the past years?

You cant be this stupid. You’d forget to breath. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

What the heck is a “Lean Six Sigma Master Black?”  ?

It's like the bat signal for layoffs at your company, lol.  It's typically preceded by a "consulting" firm, ala Chubb, or Mckinsey and the like, coming in and timing people at their jobs, handing out surveys, etc., looking for fat to trim.  They then make crazy pitches to your management to replace business knowledge and SME with scripts and process flows, and then suggest mass layoffs.  The ones that adapt and know how to play the game keep their jobs.  The ones that don't become unemployed.  To become an expert at this process you can get stupid certifications like a black belt.   And before anyone asks, I figured out the game early enough.  

Remember the Bobs?

office-space-the-bobs.png

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

It's like the bat signal for layoffs at your company, lol.  It's typically preceded by a "consulting" firm, ala Chubb, or Mckinsey and the like, coming in and timing people at their jobs, handing out surveys, etc., looking for fat to trim.  They then make crazy pitches to your management to replace business knowledge and SME with scripts and process flows, and then suggest mass layoffs.  The ones that adapt and know how to play the game keep their jobs.  The ones that don't become unemployed.  To become an expert at this process you can get stupid certifications like a black belt.   And before anyone asks, I figured out the game early enough.  

Remember the Bobs?

office-space-the-bobs.png

The "Bobs" LOL.

Many companies hire "Six Sigma" consulting firms and a lot experience exactly what you have said.

Years ago my old company hired 2 Master Black Belts and the biggest gains were training SME's (Subject Matter Experts for those not knowing

the acronym) as Green Belts (myself included).  It worked quite well.

Later when our company was bought out by a Global Corporation they used "Six Sigma Black Belt" projects exactly how you described and it

practically ruined our company.

It's a tool and like any tool, it can be used correctly or incorrectly.

Loved the line from Office Space by one of the Bobs, "Samir Naga.... naga...................... not gonna work here anyone"!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

MLB made the switch a while ago, and now most teams are run by really bright guys who do not come from a traditional baseball background.

The NFL, unsurprisingly, is far behind.

far behind what? there still is no proof that this approach works better than any other. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

The "Bobs" LOL.

Many companies hire "Six Sigma" consulting firms and a lot experience exactly what you have said.

Years ago my old company hired 2 Master Black Belts and the biggest gains were training SME's (Subject Matter Experts for those not knowing

the acronym) as Green Belts (myself included).  It worked quite well.

Later when our company was bought out by a Global Corporation they used "Six Sigma Black Belt" projects exactly how you described and it

practically ruined our company.

It's a tool and like any tool, it can be used correctly or incorrectly.

Loved the line from Office Space by one of the Bobs, "Samir Naga.... naga...................... not gonna work here anyone"!

Ah. I am so glad I've never had a "real" job in an office. 

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t think the assessment is very current. 

Buffalo rumblings treid to build build a bridge from the past to the present based on one event contrary to what analytics dictact. But that one event was during a prolonged snow squall....

im calling this labeling contrived and irrelevant at best 

Somewhere I read that some franchises can be squirrelly about how robust their analytics departments are and how they're used.   They'd rather not let other clubs know what they're doing.  

Just because Beane and McD aren't talking about the analytics stuff doesn't mean they're not using it.