Tremaine Edmunds vs Gronk

6 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

Good point but you have to like that we could have multiple options to cover him with the way Belicheat works the matchups.

Sounds kinda Rexy. Beating the Pats is usually not making things too complicated and beating yourself, and playing something that works. Obviously there will be situations for Edmunds. But I don't want the coaches ****ting their pants because "Belicheck is playing interdemensional chess jumping through worm holes with star wars aliens so we got to get weird with our matchups cause we can't even play a good game of that damned Tic Tac To!".

Just saying I want the defense confident about their matchup going in and not having nightmares of Gronk running through "Let's have our secondary blitz while the lineman drop back it's just so crazy it might work because who knooooows with Belicheck". 

Often Belicheck gets gifted games because the other coach is terrified. Often Belicheck looks human when the other coach sticks to a game plan that is working and makes a halftime adjustment. Watch Tremaine Edmunds gets beat for a 10 yard pass, and the coordinator blows it "ABORT. PUT SHADY ON GRONK, BELI'S HOPPING TO OTHER GALAXIES SOMETHING SOMETHING SCI FI CHESS". Play it cool, keep edmunds on Gronk or keep White on him and take a deep breath to rationalize yourself if he comes up with a play.

21 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I liked how Tre White did against Gronk last season.

I LOVED what  Tre White did versus Gronk last year BUT, 1) he could have been called with multiple pass interference calls...sometimes when a much smaller DB is doing it to a large receiver they tend to let it go more often and 2) Tre is psychically way over-matched, you just can't teach height.  Edmunds is 6' 5 " with 34 1/2" arms, Tre White is 5 11 with 32" arms.  Tre White give us 7" and 73 pounds to Gronk, that is a lot to ask.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I LOVED what  Tre White did versus Gronk last year BUT, 1) he could have been called with multiple pass interference calls...sometimes when a much smaller DB is doing it to a large receiver they tend to let it go more often and 2) Tre is psychically way over-matched, you just can't teach height.  Edmunds is 6' 5 " with 34 1/2" arms, Tre White is 5 11 with 32" arms.  Tre White give us 7" and 73 pounds to Gronk, that is a lot to ask.

Agree with all of this.  Having a tall, athletic MLB to use in tandem with a CB/S such as Tre White is going to give McD/Frazier a great deal more flexibility in neutralizing guys like Gronkowski/Kelce/Graham.

Some dude who does video film reviews (there's a thread about him breaking down a Micah Hyde INT) did a film breakdown of Edmunds pre-draft and he was practically drooling over Edmunds' coverage ability.  You've gotta believe the Bills plan on making use of that against Gronk.

Note:  the reviewer is NOT a Bills fan and as mentioned, the review was pre-draft.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Should be a great match up for 1 year then Gronk retires and enters the WWE and XFL. Predicting it now.

I wouldn't be shocked if he decides to retire before this season starts.  If I were him I sure would, what kind of mental/physical state is Gronk going to be in when he is 50, between his back and concussions, he doesn't have a lot of brain cells to spare.  He has two rings, more money that he can spend, i am sure Gronk would rather act like a fool than continue to buckle under Belichek rule.

23 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Watch out for the savvy veteran Gronk though. He will be using his Transformer-like arm brace to rake & jab

like a gladiator, at the inexperienced Edmunds!

LOL

Indeed, and he could conceal a dagger and bring it into chariot events!

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Indeed.

Yeah, Tre was all over him like flies on a fresh turd.  Maybe the best coverage job on Gronk I've ever witnessed.

Gronk caught 9 of 11 for 147 yards in that game.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:20 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

It could be a brilliant matchup, I am just afraid Gronk doesn't have a lot left in the tank and Edmunds has incredible potential and talent but is  very young and green. By the time Edmunds is "ready" Gronk may be on serious decline/gone.

You’re afraid Gronk is in decline?!  I am counting on it.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:08 PM, Superhero said:

Tremaine Edmunds size (6'5 250lbs) and speed will likely be the best matchup the Bills have ever had to slow down Gronk (6'6 262) in games vs the Pats. 

I wonder if Edmunds has already started watching film on Gronk to prepare to cover him this season.

....or maybe Edmunds should first study the playbook and film that would allow him to start as a rookie.  

On 6/20/2018 at 1:31 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Indeed.

Yeah, Tre was all over him like flies on a fresh turd.  Maybe the best coverage job on Gronk I've ever witnessed.

Then Tre received a metal elbow to the back of his head.  With Edmunds being the same size as Gronk I guarantee that outcome being a little different.

I think if Gronk elbow drops Edmunds in the neck that things won't work out well for Gronk. 

51 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Then Tre received a metal elbow to the back of his head.  With Edmunds being the same size as Gronk I guarantee that outcome being a little different.

Did Gronk only get a 1 game suspension for that hit to the neck?

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agree to disagree.  I recall Tre doing a really nice job in coverage against Gronk.  I think most would agree.

I guess.  Hard to say who did a good job that day when he a guy catches 9 of 11 passes thrown his way for almost 150.

For the first time in forever the Bills might actually have a good coverage linebacker in Edumonds. Coverage LB's are really important to the modern game as they are the best defense against short and intermediate passes over the middle and in the flats. They are also key to snuffing out screens and stopping receiving running backs. 

In the modern NFL passing game tight ends, slot receivers and running backs are so critical to a passing offense and those are the types of players a good coverage linebacker can defend against.

• Like (+1) 1