Sports analyst Michael Salfino on Tyrod Taylor/Bills offense

7 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

@transplantbillsfan

I've got the numbers with positive rushes factored in as well as sack yards lost and pass yards, FWIW.

2015: 12th of 37 at 6.52 yards per touch

2016: 25th of 33 at 5.95 yards per touch

2017: 27th of 37 at 5.40 yards per touch

Cumulative: 25th of 39 at 5.95 yards per touch

The folks who excel in this particular stat are still the guys who get it done in the pocket. Top 5 cumulative since 2015 are Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Kirk Cousins. and the Yards per Touch stat is a significant factor in my QB rating system.

you know what the rankings were each year?

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah, just like the quotes about how Woods and Watkins suck and TT needs REAL WR's to play well.  Back in 2016.

INT's have differences in field position too my dude.  A strip sack is worse than a 60 yard bomb that's intercepted.

"Everyone cherry picks but me."

:lol:

A strip sack is, very simply, a lost fumble.

I think Taylor had 2 this year. I guarantee that's not the most in the NFL. It's probably more like average, if not better.

But despite the fact that you are being kind of sarcastic and mean, thank you for very much proving my point:

There's nothing new to glean from this incredibly flawed and incomplete system.

Glad we agree!

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

:lol:

A strip sack is, very simply, a lost fumble.

I think Taylor had 2 this year. I guarantee that's not the most in the NFL. It's probably more like average, if not better.

But despite the fact that you are being kind of sarcastic and mean, thank you for very much proving my point:

There's nothing new to glean from this incredibly flawed and incomplete system.

Glad we agree!

I mean there's something new for you to glean.  For the rest of us who see how clearly deficient TyGod is, it's the same old **** sandwich we've half eaten.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

giphy.gif

Tystans live forever.     

Congrats to grb for repeating the same post 500 times without being banned

Congrats to Scott Law for calling us stupid instead of racist this go around ??‍♂️

Badol being Badol is always a tasty treat 

#bortlestappedthatass

#shippedouttatownbecausehesucks 

Im gonna forgive you for this Ryan just because I like puppies

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

But but it just can’t be !!!!!!

transplant posted his stats for 3 seasons and said he was good!

I see you aren't ignoring me.

Look Shady!!! You're almost at 2,000 rep points! I'm gonna be so proud to be the guy to get you over 2,000 the way I got you over 1,000. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"The oldest, most simple and predictive stat" is not yards per pass.

It's turnover differential.

78%.

Not just "over the course of time"........practically the same 78% year in and year out.

Things like yards per pass can be greatly influenced by surrounding talent.

So if you have a WR corps that gets the least separation in the NFL.....as advanced stats suggest was the case in Buffalo in 2017.....I think it's reasonable to consider that a handicap to that teams QB's ability to get high amounts of yardage per pass attempt.

The WR situation in Buffalo in 2016 and 2017 was horrendous.  

In 2015 with a better and healthier WR corps Taylor had a ypa of 8.0 which is very high.  

I've often held that Tyrod is a lot like Randall Cunningham wrt things like ypa.

Cunningham spent most of his career with BAD WR's and was basically a sub 7.0 ypa passer.

Except one year when he got Randy Moss and Chris Carter and Jake Reed for a full season and QB'd what was up to that point the highest scoring team in NFL history......with an 8.7 ypa.

Tyrod has a skillset that can give you elite numbers like an 8.0 ypa if you give him the talent.

If ypa can make guys like Tyrod and Cunningham look like All Pro's what does that say about ypa as a stand alone indicator of QB ability?

78%? Where are you coming up with that? Or maybe what stat exactly are you talking about? It certainly isn't what percentage of teams that win the turnover battle win the game. That's closer to 65%.

https://fansided.com/2014/08/12/nfl-studying-turnovers-affect-winning-percentage/

So Salfino's stat on YPA is very interesting indeed, and is more highly correlated.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As in the top 5 in Yards per Touch?

2015: Carson Palmer, Big Ben, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees

2016: Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Drew Brees

2017: Jimmy Garoppolo, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Deshaun Watson, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Jared Goff <-- gave top 7 since 2 played less than 8 games

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This really stood out to me.

"If all that doesn't fit on the tombstone that my family purchases upon my passing let me just have this nugget placed on it--something that I have culled from 'my lifetime' of stat churning:  'The team that scores the most points in a game wins essentially every time'".

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This really stood out to me.

Nothing says it's a passing league than this.  Taylor was a competent starter but I'm glad we've moved on.  No more sacks, no more "throw the dang ball!"  Now it will be "Why did he throw that"?!? ?

19 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You of course realize that your paragraphs can both be true, right?

I didn't realize it when I was initially writing it.  However, now that you are pointing it out, you are absolutely correct! haha

I’m as big a numbers and calculations guy as anyone but sometimes to just have to put those down and use your eyes.

Tyrod just isn’t very good.

Running around, avoiding pressure for 5 seconds then completing a 7 yard pass on 3rd and 11 is something we saw too often.

Guy is talented, guy is far from a terrible QB. But he’s just not a good QB.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Packers should dump Rodgers then.

Assuming Tyrod stays healthy and Hue Jackson isn't a complete **** show, I think the Browns will be playing meaningful games into December and Tyrod will be making a lot of people on here look stupid....even though they already look stupid.?

Why on earth would you assume that?

What further evidence are you waiting for to convince you that he is?

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unfortunately I’m somewhat forced to watch the Browns here. They are on the big screen at the bar I go to watch the Bills. The incompetence and coaching is staggeringly brutal. You don’t go 1-31 with a last place schedule by accident. They have improved in some areas,  and could win a few more games this year but they will still suck until/unless Mayfield takes off and Hue is replaced. That’s the bottom line, imo. Tyrod should help them not go winless if he starts which is the plan. Could beat teams like the Jets etc. 

I know that it's been insane the last 2 years and I can't believe Hue is still there.  With all the draft picks and cap money and now TT,  I'm just really curious to see

IF they can turn things around.  It will also give me a chance to watch the other AFC North teams which I have not really seen play much in the last few years.

Next year I will pick a team in the AFC South. 

On 6/20/2018 at 12:04 PM, YoloinOhio said:

This thread is fascinating  from an analytics perspective. I know what I see as a casual fan but some of the numbers on sack % and 3 and outs are startling. Click on 1st tweet to read whole thread. 

Quick question because I don't know - does he include Taylor's rushing TDs? Because if he doesn't, the whole argument is flawed. Also, the biggest problems with sacks is that they cause a ton of fumbles by the QB. Taylor hardly ever fumbled.  So the analysis is pretty shaky overall despite making a number of valid points. 

Mind you, I don't think Taylor is elite or the answer. He's average, but reading this tweetstorm would never lead you to believe that. Leaves out stuff that makes him look good and focuses only on the negative. When I say he's average, I mean it: the team was over .500 when he started despite fielding pretty lousy defenses most of the time he was here.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Quick question because I don't know - does he include Taylor's rushing TDs? Because if he doesn't, the whole argument is flawed. Also, the biggest problems with sacks is that they cause a ton of fumbles by the QB. Taylor hardly ever fumbled.  So the analysis is pretty shaky overall despite making a number of valid points. 

Mind you, I don't think Taylor is elite or the answer. He's average, but reading this tweetstorm would never lead you to believe that. Leaves out stuff that makes him look good and focuses only on the negative. When I say he's average, I mean it: the team was over .500 when he started despite fielding pretty lousy defenses most of the time he was here.

I think this is the only reference to his running -

He sees sacks as leading to loss of possession 84% of the time regardless of whether he fumbles 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I know this isn't directed at me at all, but I'd be lying if it didn't make me smile a bit since I factor things like that in.