Sports analyst Michael Salfino on Tyrod Taylor/Bills offense

This thread is fascinating  from an analytics perspective. I know what I see as a casual fan but some of the numbers on sack % and 3 and outs are startling. Click on 1st tweet to read whole thread. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Just now, Woodman19 said:

No but having a 3 or less maximum should probably be enforced.

Feel free to report it but I’m not aware of any rule like that. 3 threads per how much length of time that aren’t focused on current Bills? Per day? Per week?

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

I get that people want to move on from Tyrod. But the reality is that he was the starting QB for the Bills for the last 3 years. And looking at the offense’s performance throughout that time, and 3 different OCs, it’s worth reading through if you want to understand that performance and the context around it. There are a number of components presented but Tyrod’s analysis is very interesting. 

Its not an “argument” thing. This is an analytical discussion... I’ve not seen these particulars discussed as they relate to our offense. As it is there is no point in arguing with people who don’t have open minds. People with a closed minded mentality will never look at all variables being presented, only the ones that benefit their own opinion. 

• Like (+1) 4

Interesting analysis but I hate simplifying things like this.  

Many of Tyrod's sacks were him running ob frustratingly instead of throwing the ball away.  In the same vein all ints are not created equal.  Heaving it deep on 3rd down where an int is like a punt shouldn't count the same as a red zone int.

It boils down to this for me.  Tyrod is the ultimate game manager.  He needs weapons around him and the Bills didn't provide him that.  He is too expensive at 16 million to be the mentor qb for the Bills so he is no longer here.  The Bills didn't set him up for success and he wasn't successful.  It takes a truly special qb to excel with no weapons and Tyrod ain't that.  I know everyone likes to use Brady as an example but he is an anomaly (even he has Gronk).  Rodgers had Jordy and Cobb, Ryan has Julio and Sanu, Philly has Alshon, Ertz and others, etc...  Tyrod never took that step forward but I also think the Bills never went all in on giving him a chance.  

I am interested to see what he does with the weapons in Cleveland this year.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This thread is fascinating  from an analytics perspective. I know what I see as a casual fan but some of the numbers on sack % and 3 and outs are startling. Click on 1st tweet to read whole thread. 

Thanks for posting.  It's an interesting discussion about how stats are fairly or unfairly used to evaluate a QB like Tyrod.  

Not only does Salfino combine ints and sacks to evaluate QBs, he also advocates yards per pass play which I think is valid.   74% of the time, the team with the higher yppp wins the game - which seems common sensical enough.  

Either measure (ints plus sacks, or yppp) judges TT harshly though a few TT supporters make decent counter arguments in the thread.  

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I get that people want to move on from Tyrod. But the reality is that he was the starting QB for the Bills for the last 3 years. And looking at the offense’s performance throughout that time, and 3 different OCs, it’s worth reading through if you want to understand that performance and the context around it. There are a number of components presented but Tyrod’s analysis is very interesting. 

Its not an “argument” thing. This is an analytical discussion... I’ve not seen these particulars discussed as they relate to our offense. As it is there is no point in arguing with people who don’t have open minds. People with a closed minded mentality will never look at all variables being presented, only the ones that benefit their own opinion. 

....sure is interesting bud.......thanks for the find....perhaps you "hit a nerve".....................

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This really stood out to me.

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Thanks for posting.  It's an interesting discussion about how stats are fairly or unfairly used to evaluate a QB like Tyrod.  

Not only does Salfino combine ints and sacks to evaluate QBs, he also advocates yards per pass play which I think is valid.   74% of the time, the team with the higher yppp wins the game - which seems common sensical enough.  

Either measure (ints plus sacks, or yppp) judges TT harshly though a few TT supporters make decent counter arguments in the thread.  

Some time ago when I was newish to the board Edward's Arm convinced me YPA is the best way to judge qbs and their chance of being successful.  I like this yppp stat as well as the 74% is certainly an interesting correlation for team success.

As much as I think TT is a lot better than people here think, 65 yards passing in a game is inexcusable.  Some food for thought for sure here!

• Thank you (+1) 2

The fact that metrics support what most of us already knew is interesting because it was something we could "see" but couldn't "prove". And when national media pundits would trounce on Bills fans for not supporting Tyrod after two years, it became infuriating trying to have this discussion via Twitter. Anyone who actually watched the games, knew that Tyrod was not a "bad" QB in it's totality, but could not be a traditional QB and lacked the qualities and abilities a true Franchise QB is supposed to have - and they've all been rehearsed ad nauseum so I won't do it again. 

Yolo, thanks for sharing - to me, this is a bit like an autopsy: we know it's dead, but figuring out why can be cathartic and helpful in providing answers while we struggled with our grief. 

• Like (+1) 3