Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not exactly.  EY brings decent pass rush ability, but he's a liability in the run game. 

We're keeping 4 likely anyway.  Shaq also is big enough and has some rip to him that he can be used inside on obvious passing downs.  

Russells contract is unlikely to have any guaranteed money - so he has to seriously outplay lawson for us to consider trading/cutting lawson.  Yarbrough is also not guaranteed either.

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

yea I didnt include Lorax just because of his OLB position rather than DE, but yes he can used in place of a DE

Yeah - he's starting at SAM in our base defense right now though and none of lacey, stanford, humber particularly impresses me to the point that he needs to move positions.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not exactly.  EY brings decent pass rush ability, but he's a liability in the run game. 

Yup.  And he only had 1 sack last year, although I'm not sure about QB pressures.

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

there are better options than Shaq on the Bills current roster, Murphy and Yarborough being two (Hughes doesn't count as he is the starter on the other side). This is why Shaq remains on the roster bubble. I think he is kept though for rotational purposes. 

Yep - gotta have backups... Russell had 2 sacks and 17 combined tackles in 14 games last year (6 starts - 459 snaps).  Lawson had 4 sacks and 33 combined tackles in 11 (10 starts - 435 snaps).

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  And he only had 1 sack last year, although I'm not sure about QB pressures.

He had 464 snaps - so more than both russell and lawson.

So production-wise - lawson has outperformed both in actual game situations

Edited by dneveu

Just now, Doc said:

Yeah, but why?

Injury.  Considering Murphys injury history i guess it makes sense to not bring back a guy with history of injury.  

However in fewer snaps he was more productive than both of the guys who would be replacing him.  He'd be involved in limited snaps either way.

I look at it like this - if we cut lawson (and eat cap) we're keeping russel, lawson will likely get scooped up.  Maybe we could trade him - but that would assume the value meets the fact that we'd be paying pretty much the same cap hit as keeping him.

If we cut russell and lawson gets hurt... its also likely russell will still be available.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was also OK with selecting EJ Manuel..........and as I said at the time........it was only wrong if they weren't willing to go right back to the well immediately if they aren't completely sold that he is a franchise QB.

Maybe so, but you were also the first to point out his flaws. You said that his arms were so long than it slowed his release. I had never heard that criticism of a qb before so I paid careful attention and it was true....he had an odd release due to the extra arm motion. EJ, for unknown reason(s), also became considerably slower of his feet than he was in college. He looked like he was running in sand.

The Bills took him because they had no choice. They had passed on so many qbs that they were forced to draft him (or Geno Smith) and even at that, traded back 8 spots. Those were ugly days indeed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2018 at 2:32 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe so, but you were also the first to point out his flaws. You said that his arms were so long than it slowed his release. I had never heard that criticism of a qb before so I paid careful attention and it was true....he had an odd release due to the extra arm motion. EJ, for unknown reason(s), also became considerably slower of his feet than he was in college. He looked like he was running in sand.

The Bills took him because they had no choice. They had passed on so many qbs that they were forced to draft him (or Geno Smith) and even at that, traded back 8 spots. Those were ugly days indeed.

Yeah EJ is all arms and legs and he clearly had abbreviated his motion to avoid having a Byron Leftwich-esque long release.    His footwork was horrendous considering he played enough in college to start 4 bowl games and had been attending all the big camps in HS.   But he was a pretty talented "ball of clay" athlete and high character.  I just thought it was going to take a LONG time to develop him.  But you gotta' take chances at the only position that REALLY matters.  Buddy Nix knew he had to take a shot at a QB.  Paxton Lynch is also a guy with a lot to overcome but physically he is also a considerably better QB prospect.