Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

On the hoof.......probably the guy with the most potential in the entire draft.

It's hard to say for sure whether playing at MLB at VA Tech hurt his stock but I think it did.    If he had been coming off the edge and put up 6-7 sacks as a 19 year old he might have been the first position player drafted as an edge rusher in this particular draft.

But the uncertainty about just how good he can be at edge positions and some *probably* youth-related issues with reactions at the MLB position made him available to the Bills.    

Very excited about this dude.   He's got a chance to BECOME the unrealistic comparison for future players.

Absolutely; highest upside by a good margin IMO--the type of guy that you spend a high draft pick on without hesitation because of what he can become.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, costrovs said:

The 2019 draft is loaded with DT and DE prospects. Plus his rookie contract isnt up until 2020, I'm sure they'll keep him around this year and draft a DE in round 1 or 2 to replace him before they let him go.

Maybe, but I kinda doubt it when we need a CB, Speed WR and serious OL help among other needs. Besides, they just signed T Murphy to start opposite Hughes. They can't start 3 DE's. Maybe if they don't retain Hughes??? Still, I think it pays to address your weakest positions as a priority if you already have a good QB. Let's hope our QB quandry is finally over.

52 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Maybe, but I kinda doubt it when we need a CB, Speed WR and serious OL help among other needs. Besides, they just signed T Murphy to start opposite Hughes. They can't start 3 DE's. Maybe if they don't retain Hughes??? Still, I think it pays to address your weakest positions as a priority if you already have a good QB. Let's hope our QB quandry is finally over.

I do not see Bills looking at D line unless some trade backs happens and get some draft capital.

BPA ? sure. But i would rather they picked up and OLBs for either side if picking in the 1st or second round, ideally. DT later perhaps.

But I agree offense should be next years focus.

consider Bills fill gaps in Offense via FA ( gots cash stacked ) and then can actually draft BPA next year.
wow that would be fun !!

Drafting for need is not optimum but Bills did it this year. Lets see if that works for them !

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

First playoff birth in over a decade last year

i think it is paying off?

We lucked in at 9-7 when previous seasons it had been insufficient.  I'm happy for last season's berth, but I'm expecting our offense to struggle even more this season.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:47 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

All Pro?   I can buy the idea that they think he could make a pro bowl trip one day....... but the All Pro level for inside linebackers is really reserved for LB's that can also play the pass like a safety.   That will simply never happen for Ragnuts.   

Fans conflate Pro Bowl with All-Pro far too often. Huge difference. 

17 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Absolutely; highest upside by a good margin IMO--the type of guy that you spend a high draft pick on without hesitation because of what he can become.

All pro/best lb in the nfl upside , steal of the draft imo. If he pans out , him and Tre in back to back drafts is pretty amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:32 AM, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I wouldn't go that far. Not yet, at least. And I believe the pick was pushed hard by Rex. Remember the "Sack Lawson" comment, and of course, the Clemson helmet?

Not trying to make excuses for the guy here (I think), but he's had to learn 2 very different defenses in his first 2 years in the NFL, and he missed valuable PT as a rookie due to injury. I think he fully understands what he needs to do, and Beane made that very clear. And so far, it seems that he got the message loud and clear. Let it play out before calling him a "waste".

Drafted with a known injury = waste.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2018 at 9:23 PM, Avisan said:

We lucked in at 9-7 when previous seasons it had been insufficient.  I'm happy for last season's berth, but I'm expecting our offense to struggle even more this season.

I'll take lucking in everytime over 18 years of lucking out.  Get a grip dude.

Also, with better First half 2 minute offense and scoring a TD rather than a field goal on the 1 yard line, this lucked in team would have been playing in the second round of playoffs.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language

Just now, elroy16 said:

That's hilariously short sighted.

is it really?

I'm not opposed to taking guys with injury...outside of the first round.

in today's NFL, you need your firsts to come in and contribute immediately. A third rounder? not so much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

is it really?

in today's NFL, you need your firsts to come in and contribute immediately. A third rounder? not so much.

If it's an injury that someone can fully recover from, I don't have a problem with drafting a guy in the first that might miss some time. Obviously guys bust all the time that look like sure things, so I can definitely understand your side of the argument.

Saying you'll do it outside of the first is fair, but for me there would still be exceptions.  

On 6/27/2018 at 7:49 AM, joesixpack said:

is it really?

It depends on the upside of the talent for me.....if Shaq were to be this immense pass rushing talent that we had to wait a year for Im still ok with a first round selection.

My fear when I hear him talk is motivation.....does he really need to be in year 3 to "get it"

John H.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, joesixpack said:

is it really?

He was a day one starter "coming off the bus'......that's not immediate enough for you?!

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, blacklabel said:

Yes, he will make it and will play an important role. And there's no way Beane would simply cut the kid. Not when he knows there would be a number of teams interested in a young DE who maybe just didn't land in the right situation.

But it seems clear that Shaq has gotten the message. I sense that he was the type of player who felt like he would be able to coast on his athleticism without putting in the extra effort needed in the NFL. Clearly, that mindset doesn't fly McDermott. 

I think the kid will turn the corner and show us something this season. 

He does seem to have gotten the message and is reported to have shed some significant weight.  Let's hope that he stays in shape and doesn't back-slide and also that the reduced weight improves his quickness.  I think I remember an interview with the Clemson coach when Lawson was drafted.  In that interview, he pretty much said that Lawson wasn't a big fan of working in the gym.  Hopefully, that has changed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, John from Riverside said:

"When in previous years it would have been insufficient" bla bla bla

It was a winning record

It doesnt matter if you make the playoffs by a game or 5....it matters that you make it

In the middle of a soft rebiuld no less

Justify your "lucked into" all you want......no such thing

had we blown that Indy game of our QB thrown a pick vs the Bucs late in the 4th (past Bills teams would have blown at least one of those if not  both) we'd have been just like all the 17 drought teams.

I'm sure you also regularly dog the 2015 Steelers who got in because we beat Fitzy and the Jets in the last game of the season.

luck my arse.  Skill.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, John from Riverside said:

First playoff birth in over a decade last year

i think it is paying off?

Sure. But why dump rookie contracts for late rounders. Really wouldn't have hurt to have had Ragland rotating for Humber and LorAx.. scheme or no scheme he's cheap and 1st round grade and there's always a situation for a good player in-game. Unless it is THE PROCESS (our feeble explanation of dumping talent)

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Sure. But why dump rookie contracts for late rounders. Really wouldn't have hurt to have had Ragland rotating for Humber and LorAx.. scheme or no scheme he's cheap and 1st round grade and there's always a situation for a good player in-game. Unless it is THE PROCESS (our feeble explanation of dumping talent)

Because Ragland CANT MOVE.......

Take a look at Edmunds....what are his traits compared to past MLBs.....now take a look at McD defenses....what do his LB's do?

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Because Ragland CANT MOVE.......

Take a look at Edmunds....what are his traits compared to past MLBs.....now take a look at McD defenses....what do his LB's do?

What do his LB's do? Not much from last year.