Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m a bit late to this party, but isn’t this what folks were saying last offseason?

I don't think so.  He was coming into his second season after having been injured most of his first.  I don't recall any "Shaq better shape up or he's out" stories.

I would be shocked if he wasn't on the roster week 1. Murphy hasn't played a game in a long time, and who knows if he will play well or be durable. Shaq knows the defense and he wasn't terrible. He also is on rookie contract. I think they are putting him on notice to light a fire in him.

Edited by Turk71

Maybe the kid is FINALLY healthy this year.

This is only his third year.

Give him a chance to prove himself this year as he is healthy.

There is no reason to get rid of a third year DE that is on year 3 of his 5 year rookie deal.

Non story.

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Maybe the kid is FINALLY healthy this year.

This is only his third year.

Give him a chance to prove himself this year as he is healthy.

There is no reason to get rid of a third year DE that is on year 3 of his 5 year rookie deal.

Non story.

Beane’s comments the other day lead me to believe it is a story. 

20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's a story when it becomes one.

TC hasn't even started yet.

We will see what happens.

I just took it as a GM questioning the player’s commitment and from what we have seen Beane has a zero tolerance policy for guys who raise those concerns. We shall see.

Edited by Commonsense
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

This is crazy. He is not going anywhere unless its a trade for a key player.  His dead money is twice the cap hit!!!! Think about it....

He was tied for most sacks missing 6 games too 

Good point.  Costs too much to unloads him in an already difficult cap year. 

I dont think we should be done with him yet.

Having said that.....extremely concerned with the "ok Im going to take this year serious" thing

Just because your a 1st round pick does not mean you should not have been serious from the start......even more so for a counted on 1st round pick.

Still think his play in the run game is more then average.

They didn’t draft him.  They obviously have to cut him.

im not the biggest Lawson fan but who is the better player they are going to replace him with?  He’s pretty cheap.  Let’s not make another stupid Ragland trade just because you need to burn down everything you inherited. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Beane’s comments the other day lead me to believe it is a story. 

yes. 

he has been called upon to show why he deserved to be such a highly rated draft pick. not just by Buffalo either.
Beane and Co have done a fair job on giving him notice.

Washington should feel the same pressure from this Organization.

that being said. he should be part of a decent rotation on the early downs . Lets hope he fixes that post snap lag thing.

is he counting Mississippi's or what is that all about ? 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think we should be done with him yet.

Having said that.....extremely concerned with the "ok Im going to take this year serious" thing

Just because your a 1st round pick does not mean you should not have been serious from the start......even more so for a counted on 1st round pick.

Still think his play in the run game is more then average.

He was bottle as a rook,  fed by Rex.
deserves free counseling and another chance. especially at this price point.

make or break year ?

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That and a dollar will get a DE a cup of coffee in today's NFL. If you can't effectively rush the passer from the DE position, you are basically worthless - a low-end rotational guy who bounces from team to team over 6-7 year career.

Yup.

He is in danger of reaching his Courtney Upshaw-esque floor.

I think the stages of drafters-remorse on Shaq are interesting to watch though...........wasn't that long ago we had people trying to sell the idea that they drafted Shaq in the middle of round one for his run defense.

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m a bit late to this party, but isn’t this what folks were saying last offseason?

I'm talking about fans such as yourself, though not saying yourself said so last year.  Unfortunately an archive isn't available, but he was on many folks cut list last year.