Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

2 hours ago, eball said:

I don't think we've seen the last of Shaq just yet.  By all accounts he appears to have "gotten the message" so I'm anxious to see how he performs in camp and preseason.

I'm just not a big fan of players who have to 'get the message' before they commit to turning the corner.

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I never said he was “bad”. Comparing his production to his salary and then comparing Lawson’s production to his salary tells me that at this very moment, Lawson is arguably more valuable to the team. Now if you asked me straight up who I’d pick to start at DE, without thinking salary cap, I’m taking Hughes all day long. Lawson is younger and cheaper. Now before 26livesinhismothersbasement started getting offended, I would have mentioned that

You're measuring only one statistic and using that to measure 100% of the value of a player.

Lawson is a value right now just because he's on his rookie contract.  When a guy on his rookie contract is on the bubble, especially a first round pick, that should be enough to show that his value to the team is low.  

Hughes with his big contract and not being let go even though his sack numbers are low.....that shows his value to the team is high.  If they were to cut Hughes, they would gain around $4 million in cap space.....instead they are keeping him.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Yes it’s not all about the sacks; however, it’s a lengthy trend. Hughes had 4 sacks last season, 6 the season prior, and 5 the season before. If he’s not stout vs the run (which he’s not) and isn’t getting sacks, what’s he doing? Ah yes, creating “pressure” (except that’s not really happening either).  He’s certainly not racking up tackle totals either.

He must be a unicorn:  he’s awesome, but doesn’t get sacks, and doesn’t get tackles. He’s had a whopping 2 forced fumbles and zero fumble recoveries  over the last 31 games started. 

5 sacks/season over the last 3 seasons is Chris Kelsay territory. 

Holy **** somebody that gets it! I like Jerry Hughes I really do. One of the best trades in team history. But at some point you gotta ask yourself if his price tag is worth his production. This happens every year in the NFL. Being efficient in QB hurries doesn’t warrant a 10 mil a year contract in my opinion. But I’m not Brandon Beane. If we were to cut ties with Lawson I wouldn’t be too upset, I’m just saying, he’s cheap and he’s somewhat productive compared to what we’re paying him...

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're measuring only one statistic and using that to measure 100% of the value of a player.

Lawson is a value right now just because he's on his rookie contract.  When a guy on his rookie contract is on the bubble, especially a first round pick, that should be enough to show that his value to the team is low.  

Hughes with his big contract and not being let go even though his sack numbers are low.....that shows his value to the team is high.  If they were to cut Hughes, they would gain around $4 million in cap space.....instead they are keeping him.

At least you can kinda see where I’m coming from. He’s a veteran that’s been on the team for awhile now and has shown some leadership values. Those are assets that Lawson doesn’t have 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

But, but, sacks!!!

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

At least you can kinda see where I’m coming from. He’s a veteran that’s been on the team for awhile now and has shown some leadership values. Those are assets that Lawson doesn’t have 

I do see where you're coming from.  

With the extra additions in FA and the draft, if Hughes doesn't increase production with his hurries or sack numbers....I would expect this would be his last year here.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I do see where you're coming from.  

With the extra additions in FA and the draft, if Hughes doesn't increase production with his hurries or sack numbers....I would expect this would be his last year here.

Did we just become best friends?

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

No surprise to me.

Basically a one hit wonder in college on an awesome Clemson team.

I don’t think it’s a surprise to him based on what we are hearing about his off season. 

He has a chance to make the team... too bad Rex isn’t in some front office somewhere so they could peddle him off for maximum value.  

Hopefully hes worked his way to playing at potential 

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I agree. Hughes has been outright bad for a bit now. Doesnt get enough pass rush and is bad vs the run. That combo equals a liability. 

That is demonstrably false. Plus he works as hard or harder than anyone on the team on each and every play. He's the only one to consistently run down plays from behind.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, mannc said:

Wrecks Ryan—the gift that keeps on giving.

Don't let him out of the building.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Another Whaley gem.

Whaley's culpable by the nature of his GM position, but that pick was 110% a Rex Ryan production, IMO.    In fact, his son Sean probably made the pick and Daddy Rex said "Sure thing, I love Clemson!"...

42 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Holy **** somebody that gets it! I like Jerry Hughes I really do. One of the best trades in team history. But at some point you gotta ask yourself if his price tag is worth his production. This happens every year in the NFL. Being efficient in QB hurries doesn’t warrant a 10 mil a year contract in my opinion. But I’m not Brandon Beane. If we were to cut ties with Lawson I wouldn’t be too upset, I’m just saying, he’s cheap and he’s somewhat productive compared to what we’re paying him...

I said this before last season, Hughes isn’t a guy that will get results on his own. He goes wide a lot and it’s hard to get home when the QB can simply step up or roll right. It’s imperative that the Bills get production from Murphy/Lawson. If that happens, look for Hughes to reach double digit sacks again. 

The middle of the line should be stout with the new additions and Edmunds can get up field as well. 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

@bobobonators

PFF (TIFWIW)

PFF ranked Tyrod Taylor as the #12 Best Starting QB in the NFL in 2017. 

Im among the biggest TT fans but we all know he wasnt #12 in the NFL. 

We all watch Bills games. We all know what Hughes does and doesnt do; unfortunately its more of the latter and not the former the last few years.