Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

18 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't think we've seen the last of Shaq just yet.  By all accounts he appears to have "gotten the message" so I'm anxious to see how he performs in camp and preseason.

I agree.  Why not root for the best?  It seems he has an uphill climb, ,but if makes it he will be better for the effort.

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

Bills drafted a DE who played with the team for a long time. He was a real lunch pail guy who wasn’t very good but was always defended by the masses because he was “good against the run.”

He just wasn’t a very good player. We don’t need more of those players.

I thought you liked Chris Kelsey

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Bills drafted a DE who played with the team for a long time. He was a real lunch pail guy who wasn’t very good but was always defended by the masses because he was “good against the run.”

He just wasn’t a very good player. We don’t need more of those players.

I like good players.

18 minutes ago, costrovs said:

The 2019 draft is loaded with DT and DE prospects. Plus his rookie contract isnt up until 2020, I'm sure they'll keep him around this year and draft a DE in round 1 or 2 to replace him before they let him go.

2020 if they pick up the 5th year option. 

He needs a "big" year to warrant that, and the increase in salary that comes with it. If he doesn't look better this year, but does look better in 2019, his FA value will not be as great. He (and his agent) knows this.

If he's the player Buffalo wants him to be, then he's go the opportunity to be that player.  If he fails to meet that expectation and continues to be mediocre, then see ya, and no one in Buffalo will feel bad about moving on from him.

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

When's the last time we had a GM who came right out and said this player isn't performing as well as we expect and he needs to do better? It's so refreshing.

What are you talking about?

It's better to keep the Diva's, who have off-the-field issues, who underperformed their contracts/draft status, who weren't the best of teammates, who weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, who never endeared themselves to the fanbase because you know.   They have Potential!!!   Potential is what matters, not results!!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

He had as many sacks as Hughes last year while playing less games. I’d say he’s arguably our pass rusher at a much cheaper price than Hughes. I’d say they should trade Hughes ??‍♂️

Poor take. The effectiveness of a DE as a pass rusher isn't only measured in sacks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

He had as many sacks as Hughes last year while playing less games. I’d say he’s arguably our pass rusher at a much cheaper price than Hughes. I’d say they should trade Hughes ??‍♂️

Lawson very rarely applies pressure.  His sacks were clean up sacks.  Hughes was the only one on our line last year that consistently pressured the QB.

Hughes was something like in the top 15-20 in applying pressure to the QB.  Lawson is not arguably our best pass rusher.  If he was, Beane wouldn't have made the comments he needs to step up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He’s definitely not on the bubble but could be traded. Those are 2 different things. I’ve suggested flipping Shaq for Corey Coleman. A couple of former 1st rounders that didn’t live up to their billing that need a fresh start. It appears that Lawson is a new man this offseason so that may change my opinion. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Poor take. The effectiveness of a DE as a pass rusher isn't only measured in sacks. 

Yes. Hughes had a lot of pressures last year, that resulted in hurried throws. He's a proven player, Lawson is not. No way I trade Jerry before Shaw right now, even given his age and salary.

• Like (+1) 1

I am not ready to write off Lawson completely, but I think he is what he is. That would be a player with upside to be solid in run support and maintain the edge, which he did well at times last season. Guys like that serve a purpose and belong in a rotation where they usually rack up no more than 6-8 sacks per year. Of course, such players are not necessarily in short supply. What the team REALLY needs is a guy who can get consistent pressure on the QB.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You’re right it’s not only measured in sacks, but sacks are a pretty big one. I don’t care how many pressures a guy has, if your best pass rusher is only getting 4 sacks a year then they’re the ones that needs to step it up. Nobody talks about who has the most QB pressures in a season....

Just now, Azucho98 said:

Yet another Whaley waste....

I wouldn't go that far. Not yet, at least. And I believe the pick was pushed hard by Rex. Remember the "Sack Lawson" comment, and of course, the Clemson helmet?

Not trying to make excuses for the guy here (I think), but he's had to learn 2 very different defenses in his first 2 years in the NFL, and he missed valuable PT as a rookie due to injury. I think he fully understands what he needs to do, and Beane made that very clear. And so far, it seems that he got the message loud and clear. Let it play out before calling him a "waste".

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

You’re right it’s not only measured in sacks, but sacks are a pretty big one. I don’t care how many pressures a guy has, if your best pass rusher is only getting 4 sacks a year then they’re the ones that needs to step it up. Nobody talks about who has the most QB pressures in a season....

Maybe fans some fans such as yourself don't. 

14 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

On a related note, does anybody follow him on Instagram? Half of his pictures seem to be him modelling  clothes while playing on his cell phone. Weird.

I do and yea, he seems preoccupied with fashion and giving trendy cliches out about hard work and the best is yet to come.   But not a ton of pics of him putting in said work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1