Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak believes 2016 first-round DE Shaq Lawson is "competing for a rotational role, if not for his 53-man roster spot entirely" this summer.

Rodak thinks the team could try and trade Lawson ahead of Week 1, especially once free agent pickup Trent Murphy (knee) is back to 100 percent opposite Jerry Hughes. Buffalo also has Eddie Yarbrough, Terrence Fede, and Owa Odighizuwa as rotational pieces. Lawson, the No. 19 overall pick by ex-coach Rex Ryan, has just six sacks across 21 career appearances.

-espn

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak believes 2016 first-round DE Shaq Lawson is "competing for a rotational role, if not for his 53-man roster spot entirely" this summer.

Rodak thinks the team could try and trade Lawson ahead of Week 1, especially once free agent pickup Trent Murphy (knee) is back to 100 percent opposite Jerry Hughes. Buffalo also has Eddie Yarbrough, Terrence Fede, and Owa Odighizuwa as rotational pieces. Lawson, the No. 19 overall pick by ex-coach Rex Ryan, has just six sacks across 21 career appearances.

-espn

Given Beane's recent comments in his Fairburn interview, this is no great leap by Rodak.  Lawson is clearly on notice that his effort, commitment, and performance have not been good enough.  I would hate to see them give up on Lawson too quickly, but he needs to pick it up and keep it picked up if we wants to stick.

Edited by MDFan
misspelling

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't think we've seen the last of Shaq just yet.  By all accounts he appears to have "gotten the message" so I'm anxious to see how he performs in camp and preseason.

Latest Fairburn Athletic article said as much: https://theathletic.com/399697/2018/06/20/buffalo-bills-shaq-lawson-trade-block-2018-nfl-season/

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MDFan said:

Given Beane's recent comments in his Fairburn interview, this is no great leap by Rodak.  Lawson is clearly on notice that his effort, commitment, and performance have not been good enough.  I would hate to see them give up on Lawson too quickly, but he needs to pick it up and keep it picked up if we wants to stick.

I always say you're better off to keep talent too long than to let it go too soon.

However, McB aren't about talent, at least not first.   As you note, they're about effort and commitment first, and if you don't show it and show it quickly, they don't waste time on you.   Every single holdover from the last regime should have gotten that message when first Watkins and then Dareus left town.   The message - we don't care how talented you are, we care about your effort and your commitment to what we're doing.  

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't think we've seen the last of Shaq just yet.  By all accounts he appears to have "gotten the message" so I'm anxious to see how he performs in camp and preseason.

Agreed.  In fact, current comments from Beane have suggested that Beane and McD have been satisfied with how SL has responded to their “demands” related to dropping some weight and physical conditioning in general.

That said, I could see them moving him for the right compensation.

3 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I thought Lawson was at least pretty solid vs the run. 

I thought so, too, but it isn't about that.   I have to keep reminding myself.   As I wrote in my other post, it's about effort and commitment. 

I think you know all you need to know when you read the the article about Phillips on BuffaloBills.com.   It's linked in another thread.   Or read about Trent Murphy.   Or look at the article quoting McCoy about Allen and how studious he is.    

McB have made it totally clear in what they've said, and it's backed up completely when you look at the players they've added to the team.   If you aren't driven, maniacally driven to get better every day, they just aren't interested in you.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I thought Lawson was at least pretty solid vs the run. 

That and a dollar will get a DE a cup of coffee in today's NFL. If you can't effectively rush the passer from the DE position, you are basically worthless - a low-end rotational guy who bounces from team to team over 6-7 year career.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

That and a dollar will get a DE a cup of coffee in today's NFL. If you can't effectively rush the passer from the DE position, you are basically worthless - a low-end rotational guy who bounces from team to team over 6-7 year career.

Yeah I agree with this.  I defended Lawson last year because he was good against the run but that's not what you want from a first round DE that's in a 4-3.  Especially this defense where in a zone, it's critical to get to the QB.  

I really hope the lost weight adds a little more quickness for Lawson.  If not, he's very expendable in this defense.....basically another Terrence Fede. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

When's the last time we had a GM who came right out and said this player isn't performing as well as we expect and he needs to do better? It's so refreshing.

Seriously it is.  Not that I'm a huge fan of guys getting called out in the media that's kind of a locker room thing, but if asked, yeah don't deny it tell it like it is.    This is the expectation, and meet it or it's been nice working with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, costrovs said:

Plus his rookie contract isnt up until 2020

Bingo.    He's cheap and if the light bulb goes on at SJF, effective rotational depth at an important position.    It will be up to him to show the work ethic McD demands over the next two months...

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah I agree with this.  I defended Lawson last year because he was good against the run but that's not what you want from a first round DE that's in a 4-3.  Especially this defense where in a zone, it's critical to get to the QB.  

I really hope the lost weight adds a little more quickness for Lawson.  If not, he's very expendable in this defense.....basically another Terrence Fede. 

Bills drafted a DE who played with the team for a long time. He was a real lunch pail guy who wasn’t very good but was always defended by the masses because he was “good against the run.”

He just wasn’t a very good player. We don’t need more of those players.

• Thank you (+1) 1