Doug Whaley Has Landed a New Job

1 hour ago, B Fan in LA said:

This seems like a great gig.

40 hours a week looking for kids to play in a lower level college all star football game.

What do you suppose his annual salary would be a for a job like that ?

40 hours a week to put invitations in an envelope to invite guys to a game nobody watches who aren't invited to better college all-star games?

I bet most casual NCAAF fans could put that list together in a day---certainly anyone who gambles on college football...

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Forgive the ignorance, but WTF is the "NFLPA Bowl" and WTF does a "director of college recruiting" do for them?

IOW as a member of the press once asked "What exactly do you do?"

When did we stop forgiving your ignorance? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He was but that's a pretty low bar in retrospect. 

......that was part of Murray's problem, sitting in bars nearby the arena during the day.?

Edited by I am the egg man

24 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Incredible.  Doug could get any job he wanted in the NFL and he takes this one.

He was just waiting to cherry-pick the best spot, and then the Russ Brandon scandal broke. Guilt by association, not his fault!

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I guess this is better than his gig at Cinnabon.  Best wishes, Doug!

You are just mad at him for he would not take them back after you tasted ever bun in a box.

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Whaley was a hard-working fella who was saddled with coaches he probably would not have chosen and new owners finding their way. On balance, he was a mediocre GM, but I don't think he was the disaster some appear to believe. Regardless, I have sympathy for the difficulty that must be involved in having to speak publicly when one is less than comfortable doing so. Folks ought to just wish him the best in what is not a particularly prestigious position. Those who take the opportunity to get in one last snide dig are pretty shabby, imo.

IF there were less shabby posters it would cut the message traffic by at least one third on this board.

IMO his biggest weakness was public speaking and he should have handled a spokesman to handle most of the public speaking.

200_s.gif

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

So a guy who is a wizard at Pro Personnel takes a job as a college scout, for which he showed a shocking lack of aptitude as a GM.  Weird.  I don't understand why an NFL team would not hire this guy to be part of their Pro Personnel department.  Unless Dougie didn't want to take a step back.  Best of luck to Doug Whaley, but this doesn't sound like a great fit.

Well said!  Though many in here will disagree.  They feel Whaley drafted well!  LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

He had a good eye for LBs that's for sure. 

Well, there's that skill set.

At least now he has a job, and a phone to sit next to while he waits for calls from people looking for LB's.

And sooner or later, everybody needs a decent LB.

Need a LB ??? Call Doug Whaley.

I've got his phone number right here...........well...........give me a minute.............well, look it up....NFLP game .com

He's the new director,  or something................call him.........he'd be happy to talk to someone.........anyone........

The Whaley hate is so stupid.  He wasn’t good at press conferences.  He never got to pick his head coach.  Compare this year’s roster with the 2014 one.  A franchise qb in 2014 might have been a SB contender.  Dude got a lot of talent and for how bad of a drafter he supposedly was, a lot of his draft picks are making a bunch of money in the nfl still.

Whaley and nix (and levy and brandon) were just guys happy to have the position and didnt mind being a pass-through for other upper management and ownership.  The same goes for the coaches they had, other than marrone maybe who seemed to fight it and bolted

Edited by May Day 10

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Whaley hate is so stupid.  He wasn’t good at press conferences.  He never got to pick his head coach.  Compare this year’s roster with the 2014 one.  A franchise qb in 2014 might have been a SB contender.  Dude got a lot of talent and for how bad of a drafter he supposedly was, a lot of his draft picks are making a bunch of money in the nfl still.

Some people get it.  Whaley never got a completely fair shot at being a GM.  Terry should have been the person at the press conference explaining the Rex firing, not Whaley.  Whaley was Rex's peer, Pegula was Rex's boss; big difference.  I do have to say that Whaley's drafting was pretty average, and unfortunately he'll always have the Sammy deal and lack of viable QB anvil around his neck; these probably did him in.  Where Whaley excelled was FA acquisitions where he found several diamonds in the rough.

11 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Good I wish him well.   He made good choices and bad choices.    Ultimately it didn't work.    

My crusade starts here "he wasn't THAT bad!"

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would love a Whaley/McDermott combo. The defense ohhh the defense that could be

• Thank you (+1) 1