Doug Whaley Has Landed a New Job

23 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I don’t hate Doug Whaley. The trade for Hughes is one of the best trades in the history of the team. Unfortunately the trade to land Watkins is probably one of the worst. It was a makes or break move, too bad we didn’t have a QB to get him the ball...

Tough to get the ball too a guy when he's not on the field injured frequently.

I bet EJ could have hit him on the bench with ease, especially if we put him in a tent ?

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wasn't allowed to get a coach. To be fair to the Pegulas though.... while the fat idiot was a huge miss I think they might have had a huge hit 2nd time round. 

I think Doug was a better GM than he often gets credit for but he was not a strategic manager. That is the part of the job where he was found wanting. His relationships with people hurt him. Beane exudes a clam, quiet, authority. Doug always gave off a more maverick vibe. 

Yeah Doug was a "go big or go home" guy.

He had to go home though.

Sometimes you hit home runs, sometimes you strike out.

If you strike out too often, especially when it counts, you get benched.

The guy wasn't afraid to take a risk.

I respected that.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, but the trade for Hughes was under Nix's watch. Whaley may have had something to do with it, but he didn't pull the trigger.

I don't hate him either, but I'm very glad they moved on.

Yeah you’re right. Nix resigned like a week or 2 later

11 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Tough to get the ball too a guy when he's not on the field injured frequently.

I bet EJ could have hit him on the bench with ease, especially if we put him in a tent ?

Yeah Doug was a "go big or go home" guy.

He had to go home though.

Sometimes you hit home runs, sometimes you strike out.

If you strike out too often, especially when it counts, you get benched.

The guy wasn't afraid to take a risk.

I respected that.

Making predictably bad choices isn't risk taking.

Even if you truly believe that Whaley didn't want Rex (despite everything he said and did at the time which absolutely disproves this was the case), his reported preference was for Hue Jackson--the absolute worst HC in NFL history.

Those press conferences of Whaley's particularly in his last year weren't a function of him being a "bad public speaker"---he really was that clueless.  The Pegulas depended on him to help with their coaching search.  After Rex's first year, they (both of whom are far smarter than Rex or Whaley) realized they had been burned.  They gave the tow of them the second season to turn things around.  Rex and Whaley bombed again and, as promised, they were canned after that season. 

I always liked Whaley i think his short coming was trying to please every one around him & not having a firm vision himself on what he wanted for the team like Bean does .

The draft he did with Mcdermott landed some good players & they made some good moves . Whaley's history in the draft proved that he wasn't scared to do what he needed to do to get the player he wanted which i admired to a certain extent . He was a wheeler dealer !!

I think the huge down fall for the team was hiring Rex after Whaley setting the team up to be a 4/3 D then bringing in Rex & company then trying to pigeon hole the players that were brought in prior to fit a 4/3 then drafting Lawson a 4/3 player in college to fit a 3/4 just proved Ryans ineptness as a HC !!

And Whaley allowed some of it to go on weather it be from pressure or stupidity from Brandon & higher ups . 

He should do well at this gig he is a good scout so i think the job will fit him well !! 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even if you truly believe that Whaley didn't want Rex (despite everything he said and did at the time which absolutely disproves this was the case), his reported preference was for Hue Jackson--the absolute worst HC in NFL history.

Those press conferences of Whaley's particularly in his last year weren't a function of him being a "bad public speaker"---he really was that clueless.  The Pegulas depended on him to help with their coaching search.  After Rex's first year, they (both of whom are far smarter than Rex or Whaley) realized they had been burned.  They gave the tow of them the second season to turn things around.  Rex and Whaley bombed again and, as promised, they were canned after that season. 

I don't disagree with you.

My point was he was a "boom or bust" guy with almost all his moves.

Nothing was really conservative.

The problem was he "busted" much more often than he "boomed" and really was clueless.

I was just saying I respect when a guy goes "d*cks out"... Even if he crashes and burns.

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree with you.

My point was he was a "boom or bust" guy with almost all his moves.

Nothing was really conservative.

The problem was he "busted" much more often than he "boomed" and really was clueless.

I was just saying I respect when a guy goes "d*cks out"... Even if he crashes and burns.

yeah but he went out with his d+ck out because he forgot to put his pants on.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Harvin's first deal was a three year contract actually built to be a one-year contract. $6 mill for 2015. Yeah, they brought him back for the year you're mentioning but that first deal was a bad one and the Clay deal - while I like Clay - has looked so far like a serious overpayment.

And if he never got to pick his head coach it's probably because he didn't force the issue. He had a chance to do so either time. Particularly with the Pegulas and Rex, if he'd said he couldn't work with Rex, they likely would have listened, as he was the main football guy at that time, really pretty much the only high-ranking guy left.

You have a good point about Harvin as I forgot about the first contract.  I remember them convincing Percy to come out of retirement.  Either way, he was a disappointment...those happen.

Clay is debatable depending on who you ask. 

The other variable in the coaching selection is Russ Brandon.  Supposedly he and Nix overruled Whaley on the Marrone hire.  I'm sure Russ had the Pegula's ear just as much, if not more than Whaley.  None of us were there, so we don't know how hard tried (or did not) to convince Terry and Kim to pass on Rex.  Water under the bridge at this point and it seems that the Pegulas got it right the second time around.

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

russ took control of doug. check out the pics of him fist pumping the sammy trade and ...he got doug to play along with the rex thing by promising him that extension....which he did do...but d dub was such an egomaniac with that e.j. pick...remember "fully in", that it was a constant pissin match which made marrone haul arse and then finally ruined it with rex.

i know rex ruined it for himself by killing the defense, but doug didn't help matters. he passed on his share of qbs as well. that midnight cutting of freddy sucked out loud. it was a soap opera. thank you terry for cleaning house!

7 hours ago, T master said:

I always liked Whaley i think his short coming was trying to please every one around him & not having a firm vision himself on what he wanted for the team like Bean does .

The draft he did with Mcdermott landed some good players & they made some good moves . Whaley's history in the draft proved that he wasn't scared to do what he needed to do to get the player he wanted which i admired to a certain extent . He was a wheeler dealer !!

I think the huge down fall for the team was hiring Rex after Whaley setting the team up to be a 4/3 D then bringing in Rex & company then trying to pigeon hole the players that were brought in prior to fit a 4/3 then drafting Lawson a 4/3 player in college to fit a 3/4 just proved Ryans ineptness as a HC !!

And Whaley allowed some of it to go on weather it be from pressure or stupidity from Brandon & higher ups . 

He should do well at this gig he is a good scout so i think the job will fit him well !! 

how could a gm not say...don't f up the defense when interviewing a coaching candidate?....and not know the kind that rex was gonna run? that was all for putting fannys in the seats. i'm glad russ is gone too because he was the biggest factor in the rex hire.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/20/2018 at 8:00 AM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I don’t hate Doug Whaley. The trade for Hughes is one of the best trades in the history of the team. Unfortunately the trade to land Watkins is probably one of the worst. It was a makes or break move, too bad we didn’t have a QB to get him the ball...

That was the draft that did him in.  The Sammy Trade was a complete debacle and of course Manuel was a bust.  Of course the fact that he couldn't sell his vision to new ownership also contributed to his downfall. 

He's a good guy, I wish him the best.

• 2 months later...

Ironic because I think Whaley's drafting was mediocre at best but his pro-personnel scouting was actually pretty good. The players the Bills got in free agency tended to be better than what they got in the draft. I don't think Whaley was a bad GM, he just wasn't a good one. Somewhere between Mediocre and average is where I would rate him. It seemed like for every good move he made he would make a bad one. 

On 6/21/2018 at 4:52 PM, Magox said:

That was the draft that did him in.  The Sammy Trade was a complete debacle and of course Manuel was a bust.  Of course the fact that he couldn't sell his vision to new ownership also contributed to his downfall. 

He's a good guy, I wish him the best.

Following up the Sammy trade with Cyrus (Who was not viewed as a bad pick at the time) was not a good draft, from 2013 to 2014 Whaley missed on 2 picks in the first round (EJ and Cyrus) and didn't hit a home run on a pick he mortaged the farm for (If you trade picks 8 and 19 for a player he can't be a double.) That's not to say that Sammy was a bust but rather that Sammy Watkins was not worth the cost and considering the high caliber players that were drafted around that spot and the cost of the trade up. Had Cyrus been a high caliber RT that wouldn't have been nearly as tragic a draft. 

I was always frustrated with Whaley because a lot of his moves weren't considered to be all that bad at the time they were made except for his 2013 and 2014 drafts. But a lot of Whaley's pro-personnel moves were actually good moves both at the time and in hindsight. I kind of feel the opposite on this regime, their drafting seems to be good but their pro-personnel moves are puzzling.