Doug Whaley Has Landed a New Job

Ex-Bills GM Whaley named NFLPA's college scouting director

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley is taking over as the NFL Players Association's director of college scouting.

Whaley will oversee the recruitment, evaluation and selection of draft-eligible prospects to compete at the annual NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. He replaces Tony Softli, who left to become the Alliance of American Football's scouting director.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don’t hate Doug Whaley. The trade for Hughes is one of the best trades in the history of the team. Unfortunately the trade to land Watkins is probably one of the worst. It was a makes or break move, too bad we didn’t have a QB to get him the ball...

• Like (+1) 5

I didn't know there was a college pro bowl game.  Being the director of recruiting for it seems like a tough gig.  The best talents in college football right now have trouble committing to play in bowl games.  Seems like guys without any potential to get drafted would play in this game.  

I'm glad that Doug is back involved with the game. NFLPA Bowl players tend to be UDFA types and I think Doug has always acquitted himself well finding value from limited skill sets.

I look forward to seeing how his appointment changes the standard of players that get invited.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Forgive the ignorance, but WTF is the "NFLPA Bowl" and WTF does a "director of college recruiting" do for them?

IOW as a member of the press once asked "What exactly do you do?"

It's a college all-star game just as the East West Shrine and Senior Bowl games are.   He's in charge of getting players to commit to playing in the game.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So it's a college all-star game no one has heard of?

No one? :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So a guy who is a wizard at Pro Personnel takes a job as a college scout, for which he showed a shocking lack of aptitude as a GM.  Weird.  I don't understand why an NFL team would not hire this guy to be part of their Pro Personnel department.  Unless Dougie didn't want to take a step back.  Best of luck to Doug Whaley, but this doesn't sound like a great fit.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Forgive the ignorance, but WTF is the "NFLPA Bowl" and WTF does a "director of college recruiting" do for them?

IOW as a member of the press once asked "What exactly do you do?"

He is not privy to that

• Haha (+1) 3

Wait until he goes rogue and cuts everyone that commits to playing.

Just playing, wish him luck in the new position. I think the way the cards we're dealt it would have made it hard for any young GM to have much success here. Yea, he made some mistakes and questionable moves but he also made some solid additions. Good luck Doug.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I really expected a Peter Pan link. 

1 hour ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

I'm shorting that stock! 

When EJ Manuel announced his plan where one could buy stock in his career, that's what I said.

• Haha (+1) 1