Sliver or Splinter?

Gugny

Do You Say Sliver or Splinter?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Say Sliver or Splinter?

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!! 

While on this sliver vs. splinter discussion, it jogged my memory that the nastiest slivers/splinters are generated by old pieces of Corelle dinnerware from around the late 70s. We had a set, and found that old pieces when dropped would do a fine imitation of a terrorist built bomb.  Literally hundreds of razor sharp shards all over the place.  They were so bad I took the remaining settings and put them in the garbage, too dangerous to donate to the Sally Ann or similar.  The idea behind the Corelle was durability and breakage resistance; I wonder if years of microwave usage and dishwasher cycles somehow alter the structure.

8 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

A sliver is a small piece of food that you don't want a full serving.

Again, it's all relative.  A 'sliver' of good pumpkin pie for me can be 5/8 of the pie, if it's 2 a.m. and I have a sweet tooth.

Playing little league baseball as a kid I slid down the once very common old wood benches to stay in batting rotation order. No fences in front back then.

A pointed piece of wood poked through my jeans, we didn't get baseball pants then, it missed my sphincter but broke off in my butt when I jumped up.

I gasped, told the coach. He looked and saw my jeans had a hole. We went over to my father, who took me to the car, pulled it out and I went back to play.

We get home my mother sees there's a piece of sliver/splinter in there. Out came the Bactine and her eyebrow tweezers, didn't have surgical ones then.

I never slid to move down a wooden bench again.

Edited by I am the egg man

7 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

We get home tell my mother, she sees there was still a piece of sliver/splinter in there. Out came the Bactine and here she brow tweezers, didn't have surgical ones then.

Anyone remember 'drawing salve'?  A dark salve that you would put on the site of a sliver entry.  Cover with a gauze pad and generally within a couple of days the sliver would work its way out on its own.  Younger pharmacists nowadays rarely know what I'm referring to.  It no longer seems available.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Anyone remember 'drawing salve'?  A dark salve that you would put on the site of a sliver entry.  Cover with a gauze pad and generally within a couple of days the sliver would work its way out on its own.  Younger pharmacists nowadays rarely know what I'm referring to.  It no longer seems available.

Now many parents would yank their kid out of the game, rush to the quicky care places to make sure they are going to survive the splinter assault.

......and be calling an injury attorney.

Edited by I am the egg man

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!! 

While on this sliver vs. splinter discussion, it jogged my memory that the nastiest slivers/splinters are generated by old pieces of Corelle dinnerware from around the late 70s. We had a set, and found that old pieces when dropped would do a fine imitation of a terrorist built bomb.  Literally hundreds of razor sharp shards all over the place.  They were so bad I took the remaining settings and put them in the garbage, too dangerous to donate to the Sally Ann or similar.  The idea behind the Corelle was durability and breakage resistance; I wonder if years of microwave usage and dishwasher cycles somehow alter the structure.

Again, it's all relative.  A 'sliver' of good pumpkin pie for me can be 5/8 of the pie, if it's 2 a.m. and I have a sweet tooth.

So now we have a 3rd entry - shards ?

43 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Playing little league baseball as a kid I slid down the once very common old wood benches to stay in batting rotation order. No fences in front back then.

A pointed piece of wood poked through my jeans, we didn't get baseball pants then, it missed my sphincter but broke off in my butt when I jumped up.

I gasped, told the coach. He looked and saw my jeans had a hole. We went over to my father, who took me to the car, pulled it out and I went back to play.

We get home my mother sees there's a piece of sliver/splinter in there. Out came the Bactine and her eyebrow tweezers, didn't have surgical ones then.

I always heard you got splinters riding the pine. Though it seems like you took riding the pine a little bit too literal.