Sammy Watkins classes it up on his way out of LA

Rigotz

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

and i think that was Buffalo's issue with giving him the option. let us not forget this was a business decision. He was a high risk to fulfill his next contract if with the Bills.

Smart move.

Robert W. was going to get paid as well. Business decision. I bet they honestly liked his work ethic and passion. who plays a whole season at WR with a groin !!

business decisions are no reason to talk poorly about why Sammy was not kept.
Wish both those guys well !

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/01/rams-sammy-watkins-cant-stop-talking-selfish-he-was-bills/amp/

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I watched the Rams as well, the previous poster said people would complain about checking down. No one in their right mind complains about that kind of efficiency. Yes, McVay is a wizard. 

We would lol. Because we did! Yeah McVay is great. Gurley is MVP caliber. So imagine.. purely hypothetical.. imagine a team with Goff, Gurley, and all those receivers gone. Just gone. Fill them in with some practice squad guys in your head. What happens? McVay and Goff target Gurley as much as possible. Their best talent right.

That's not hard to imagine that's what we did last year with the Bills, targeted our best player Shady.. and we complained.

Only difference is McVay is absolutely pissed that year being so limited he goes out and signs or trades for the best possible receivers for Goff and they have a better year offensively.

Not a defense of Dennison or Tyrod. But anybody that remotely knows football sees that team on paper knows the best option is also the only option. Those guys didn't execute as well but would have done the exact same thing McVay and Goff did.. Gurley would be every defenses only focus, they don't need to even be honest about covering the wideouts, now Gurley is forced to getting the ball on shorter and shorter passes to get the ball before the defense gets to him. Let's call that a checkdown. and we complained about the checkdowns to Shady.

When your hand is forced like that, all facets of the offense change. Put Goff McVay and Gurley on last years Bills team. Queue the complaining.

That's what I meant by complaining. I'll go to bat on this crusade. I just want folks about the personnel personnel and simply think about why the offense ran like it did. Take the worst QB and worst OC and they do that. Take the best QB and best OC and they do that same game plan. Yeah they execute better. But the personnel defines what you do.. McVay calls check downs if he's OC for last year's Bills.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great take. I blame Sammy. Not EJ, not Orton, not Tyrod, not Goff (who was worse than EJ as rookie).  

I trust bitter Bills fans’ opinions over McVay and Andy Reid.  Our offense easily replaced Sammy and was a lot of fun to watch last year.  I expect it to be even more exciting this year.  

I found making the playoffs, without Sammy mind you, incredibly exciting.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I watched every game. The vast majority of the passes he caught were swing passes or dump offs, and then he either had a huge lane and/or he made great runs and broke tackles or made guys miss. It's not like they were sending him out on 15-20 yard patterns very often or even targeted him that much. McVay ran an incredible offense.

What are your thoughts KTD? ^ . Those swing passes and dump offs are a lot harder when the defense knows they need 2 or 3 capable CB's to cover some crap WRs and linebackers and safeties are flying at Gurley on passing plays. Gurley's not seeing huge lanes. Heck he doesn't even have a Robert Woods stud blocker decking guys in front of him. His receivers are useless. And he's getting the ball closer to the Quarterback to get a flying chance to have a time to make a play. Hence some here complain, "stop checking it down, let's air it out to Deonte Thompson!" Queue the pass breakups and ints cause he rarely gets separation. Armchair OCs: Deonte Thompson isn't your game plan. Shady is. McVay would be well aware of that.

Of course it's a moot point because he values receivers. Funny concept to some. But McVay the genius made damn sure he got his WRs. The powers that be in Buffalo thought "nah, Philly brown, Andre Holmes, and Deonte are fine. Let's roll out this juggernaut" ?

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That is wholly true. :beer:

KTD.. we did complain! 2 offenses. Personnel wise the difference is the RECEIVERS!

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

What are your thoughts KTD? ^ . Those swing passes and dump offs are a lot harder when the defense knows they need 2 or 3 capable CB's to cover some crap WRs and linebackers and safeties are flying at Gurley on passing plays. Gurley's not seeing huge lanes. Heck he doesn't even have a Robert Woods stud blocker decking guys in front of him. His receivers are useless. And he's getting the ball closer to the Quarterback to get a flying chance to have a time to make a play. Hence some here complain, "stop checking it down, let's air it out to Deonte Thompson!" Queue the pass breakups and ints cause he rarely gets separation. Armchair OCs: Deonte Thompson isn't your game plan. Shady is. McVay would be well aware of that.

Of course it's a moot point because he values receivers. Funny concept to some. But McVay the genius made damn sure he got his WRs. The powers that be in Buffalo thought "nah, Philly brown, Andre Holmes, and Deonte are fine. Let's roll out this juggernaut" ?

I don’t think anyone at OBD is content with a subpar WR group. They traded up for Zay last year, hoping he would have an impact. Then they went out and traded for KB. This year they signed a slot WR in Kerley and brought in a few additional guys to compete. 

They have been aggressive with the position, no results yet. Let’s see how they are heading into the 3rd preseason game.

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Put McVay in a crap situation like that and he gets him some WRs to run his genius offense. Genius move. Matter of fact he keeps Watkins.. on a rookie QB (doesn't need to trade mind you, keeps his picks, obviously fine with a rental there so clearly keeps Watkins for the year.. so obviously had no qualms at losing Watkins for nothing) and resigns Woods. HE SIGNED THEM to the Rams. That's the "genius" we're not considering.

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I don’t think anyone at OBD is content with a subpar WR group. They traded up for Zay last year, hoping he would have an impact. Then they went out and traded for KB. This year they signed a slot WR in Kerley and brought in a few additional guys to compete. 

They have been aggressive with the position, no results yet. Let’s see how they are heading into the 3rd preseason game.

Yeah. It didn't pan out man that's what I'm getting across. McVay didn't want Zay, he wanted Watkins. How are we aggressive at WR when we drop the very WRs McVay wants. So.. he's a genius for being aggressive and getting it right! We were aggressive? Doesn't mean a hill of beans because we failed miserably while simultaneously giving McVay the receivers we had on our roster. If aggressive is dropping your top receivers, drafting a rookie and signing perennially out of shape  and consequently injury prone KB week 6 then cool.. sounds like we tried pretty freaking incompently.

25 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

KTD.. we did complain! 2 offenses. Personnel wise the difference is the RECEIVERS!

We had the receivers and we got rid of them all.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We didn’t use him right.  Sammy was amazing in college at screens and slants. We Rarely threw those to him.  Stupid Miami feeds Landry, a guy a lot less physically talented than Sammy, the ball.  

Landry also catches over 70% of what's thrown to him.

But I guess Sam catches less because he's doubled.

He's just not that good.  Which is a shame, because he could be great.

18 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

All I said was that we complained about checkdowns. So if you agree "no one at OBD was content with our WR group." Why is the complaining over checkdowns reasonable? That's what frustrated me with OBD's narrative last year. Can we agree on this? Please?

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We had the receivers and we got rid of them all.

So my point is, is it valid to complain about the checkdowns when we saw the very same receivers make the dumpoffs work for McVay?

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Landry also catches over 70% of what's thrown to him.

But I guess Sam catches less because he's doubled.

He's just not that good.  Which is a shame, because he could be great.

Sammy never got the same game plan Miami had with Jarvis! So "he's just not good".. is not an apt comparison. Dolphins grab Sammy and use him like Jarvis, guarantee he crushes Jarvis's numbers.

Crusade is over. You guys get my point?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

All I said was that we complained about checkdowns. So if you agree "no one at OBD was content with our WR group." Why is the complaining over checkdowns reasonable? That's what frustrated me with OBD's narrative last year. Can we agree on this? Please?

They fired Dennison after one year, they benched Taylor for Peterman. They made an in season trade for a #1 WR. OBD’s narrative was “not good enough”

Are you somehow saying Watkins would have changed things? Watkins was one and done in LA for a reason. Look at McVay’s comments about Cooks. Are you under the impression that they couldn’t have afforded Watkins? They made a handful of high profile moves, one which included a trade for another WR who is due a payday after 18’. If McVay thought Watkins was as good as half of TBD thinks, he would still be in LA.

Sammy is all about the money, we did this last off-season and now doing it again? Watkins will have a few nice plays and a bunch of weeks where he is non existent. He collects checks. I’m glad he is not in Buffalo, guys like that don’t matter in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

They fired Dennison after one year, they benched Taylor for Peterman. They made an in season trade for a #1 WR. OBD’s narrative was “not good enough”

Are you somehow saying Watkins would have changed things? Watkins was one and done in LA for a reason. Look at McVay’s comments about Cooks. Are you under the impression that they couldn’t have afforded Watkins? They made a handful of high profile moves, one which included a trade for another WR who is due a payday after 18’. If McVay thought Watkins was as good as half of TBD thinks, he would still be in LA.

Sammy is all about the money, we did this last off-season and now doing it again? Watkins will have a few nice plays and a bunch of weeks where he is non existent. He collects checks. I’m glad he is not in Buffalo, guys like that don’t matter in the NFL.

McVay traded assets for a one year rental for Watkins. We could have kept him for a year under rookie contract as well. So how is McVay a genius for preparing an offensive personnel (with our top 2 receivers) that successfully set up Gurley for a monster season when we could have kept him without trading assets. And set Shady up in a similar situation. It's a double standard.

He's a genius no doubt. But give him Gurley without him grabbing our WRs and he's CHECKING DOWN. Our same criticism for Shady's checkdowns comments.

His "genius" is having a plan in place for Gurley personell wise. Our failure was not giving a **** about WRs. 

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Put McVay in a crap situation like that and he gets him some WRs to run his genius offense. Genius move. Matter of fact he keeps Watkins.. on a rookie QB (doesn't need to trade mind you, keeps his picks, obviously fine with a rental there so clearly keeps Watkins for the year.. so obviously had no qualms at losing Watkins for nothing) and resigns Woods. HE SIGNED THEM to the Rams. That's the "genius" we're not considering.

Yeah. It didn't pan out man that's what I'm getting across. McVay didn't want Zay, he wanted Watkins. How are we aggressive at WR when we drop the very WRs McVay wants. So.. he's a genius for being aggressive and getting it right! We were aggressive? Doesn't mean a hill of beans because we failed miserably while simultaneously giving McVay the receivers we had on our roster. If aggressive is dropping your top receivers, drafting a rookie and signing perennially out of shape  and consequently injury prone KB week 6 then cool.. sounds like we tried pretty freaking incompently.

To be fair with KB....he is in camp looking lean and in shape.

There was a reason why he was drafted high and stuck with the Panthers these past years....sometimes a change of scenery helps in this situation.

Im not gonna beat the drum too hard because of his injury history.....but if he DOES stay healthy...we might have something.

TLDR we took shady without WRs, McVay took Gurley and added (our) receivers. Turns out that goes a long way

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

To be fair with KB....he is in camp looking lean and in shape.

There was a reason why he was drafted high and stuck with the Panthers these past years....sometimes a change of scenery helps in this situation.

Im not gonna beat the drum too hard because of his injury history.....but if he DOES stay healthy...we might have something.

ALL I'm saying is complaints for checking down are silly. KB got hurt. Unlucky. Why are we griping about checking down. Unwarranted giving the situation.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:11 PM, ScottLaw said:

Some fans need to convince themselves Sammy sucks and the Bills are better off without him. 

Meanwhile the Bills WR corps was atrocious without him and still looks to be an overall bad unit with 0 speed and ability to separate. 

Dont need any convincing cupcake. I know he sucks. Three teams in three years says it all.

51 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Dont need any convincing cupcake. I know he sucks. Three teams in three years says it all.

As opposed to Deonte Thompson bouncing around practice squads until he breaks out with career high 600 yards. He doesn't suck. Clearly a rental for the Rams (for a rookie deal they couldn't afford to resign) Hot take man. Signed a lucrative deal after his rookie contract expired. So his market value has him sucking to the tune of 4th highest contract currently. Apparently the NFL market knows a bit more than your # of teams / year argument.. Christ i'm really having to explain this?

If 1000 yard seasons tell you he sucks then.. lower your bar for saying a WR sucks lmao.

And we don't need to name call you dope.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah I'm fine. Ive watched Sammy play. He's good. Your takes aren't.?

Owned. Feel free to pile on to this guy with me, fellow "cupcake"

I wish I could read the article. The stupid background add ends up covering up the entire text on the page when it fully loads.

But saying he wants to play with a QB he can grow with works. Granted, Goff is young too, and only on year 3, but Mahomes is known as more of a gunslinger, and Sammy probably is seeing an opportunity to be his go-to guy.

It's clear he wasn't Goff's, as pretty much everyone got targeted more than him. But with Mahomes, there's a legit chance he can work his way into being Mahomes' security blanket and auto 1st look. If he builds that trust & confidence with him, he can safely assume he'll get plenty of looks a game and maybe have a shot to prove he really can be a top guy.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I wish I could read the article. The stupid background add ends up covering up the entire text on the page when it fully loads.

But saying he wants to play with a QB he can grow with works. Granted, Goff is young too, and only on year 3, but Mahomes is known as more of a gunslinger, and Sammy probably is seeing an opportunity to be his go-to guy.

It's clear he wasn't Goff's, as pretty much everyone got targeted more than him. But with Mahomes, there's a legit chance he can work his way into being Mahomes' security blanket and auto 1st look. If he builds that trust & confidence with him, he can safely assume he'll get plenty of looks a game and maybe have a shot to prove he really can be a top guy.

I had the same issue with the site, but i recall all of that info as i was following Watkins for awhile.

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

So my point is, is it valid to complain about the checkdowns when we saw the very same receivers make the dumpoffs work for McVay?

Sammy never got the same game plan Miami had with Jarvis! So "he's just not good".. is not an apt comparison. Dolphins grab Sammy and use him like Jarvis, guarantee he crushes Jarvis's numbers.

Crusade is over. You guys get my point?

Your point is actually making my point.  Sam is a bunch of ifs and buts.  

• Like (+1) 1