Sammy Watkins classes it up on his way out of LA

Rigotz

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they made a mistake not picking up his team option.

Him and Tyrod had chemistry and was poised for a big year with him last season, IMO.

And I disagree. He played like one in 2015 before hurting his foot. 

Why wouldnt you pay him if he had a big year last season? We have the cap and you pay playmakers. 

you and badol love to throw this out.  i respect the opinion, but it's trying far too hard to justify possibly keeping him.  both were ok last year, but some how bringing them together was going to ignite the greatest show on turf 2.0.  it's possible but i think it's more unlikely and a stretch.

ok.  so the bills pick up his option and he has another average year.  he hits fa and leaves.  you'd be one of the first posters blasting this team for letting him walk for nothing.  say they bills pick up his option and he has a good year.  he likely chooses to hit the market, (i can't imagine the bills giving him a monster contract) the bills are outbid, and he walks for nothing.  these are two very likely scenarios.  the rams traded a 2 for him as still didn't want to hand out a large pay day.  

the only way the bills would have paid him huge was if he had an elite type year, and with tyrod at qb, it was very unlikely.  you can cling to those stretches of games in 2015, but that just hasn't been repeated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Rigotz said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/12/nfl-los-angeles-rams-sammy-watkins-chiefs-free-agency-patrick-mahomes-jared-goff/amp/

Didn’t see this posted anywhere.

Sammy telling reporters he wants a “QB that he can grow with” and that’s why he picked KC. That’s coming from a team with Jared Goff at QB.

Kudos to the Bills for getting a 2nd rounder and Gaines for this guy, who certainly would have left in Free Agency and definitely has an attitude problem.

And Kudos to the Bills for trading way up to get him in the first place, right?

I mean most around here loved it when it happened and hated it when he was traded off the team.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I mean most around here loved it when it happened and hated it when he was traded off the team.

Your recollection is way different than mine. People were not happy about giving up the extra 1st.

10 hours ago, Lfod said:

I like the idea of Kelvin Benjamin. I like the idea of a big target. That hit he took to his leg that injured him made me think that being a big target can be a bad thing in some situations. I hope he doesn't frequently take shots that will cause injury because he is a big target is what I'm saying. 

The other guys I hope make a name for themselves in the WR core. You say JK but even if your kidding I wouldn't disagree with you. I'd kick the tires on Sammy again considering the situation. 

The only thing about Sammy Watkins that bugs me is what Buffalo spent to get him and the end result. I'm not looking to blame Sammy for the end result. So to me regulardless of the causing factor the situation was mismanaged. The team spent to get a #1 WR and didn't turn him into one. That is the only thing that I don't like about the Sammy situation.

So when I say I didn't hear anything about  Sammy Watkins hasn't doing anything to make me regret the team moving on I say it without a bias against him. If he lights it up and gets that posotive media chatter then I will be inclined to think possibly Buffalo could of gotten that out of him if it was managed better at the time. 

I still think the Dareus as far as players that hurt the team always wins. 

KB fills a niche need very very well. and i consider him an asset. Just do not ask too much of him. last year he was put in a very tough spot indeed. Hope that has all been made good for this coming season.

Beane identified him as a great red zone threat. again i go back to Bills wanting to have Receivers who can , as a group check all the boxes.

Back to Sammy Watkins.
Maybe immature but hell of a natural talent.

Was always my opinion his ankle injuries were sorely mismanaged for whatever reason . I have some conspiracy theories about Marrone as well and his bizarre relations with Whaley and Brandon and EJ Manuel.

But after leaving he has not shown what he honestly was capable of early in his career.

Can he ever return to Clemson form? and man he made some Amazing catches for Bills.
wish it had gone differently.
But that ship has sailed for Watkins and Buffalo i expect. 

a darned shame it was

8 hours ago, wppete said:

Watkins just seems a little off. Great player when healthy though. 

and i think that was Buffalo's issue with giving him the option. let us not forget this was a business decision. He was a high risk to fulfill his next contract if with the Bills.

Smart move.

Robert W. was going to get paid as well. Business decision. I bet they honestly liked his work ethic and passion. who plays a whole season at WR with a groin !!

business decisions are no reason to talk poorly about why Sammy was not kept.
Wish both those guys well !

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

KB fills a niche need very very well. and i consider him an asset. Just do not ask too much of him. last year he was put in a very tough spot indeed. Hope that has all been made good for this coming season.

Beane identified him as a great red zone threat. again i go back to Bills wanting to have Receivers who can , as a group check all the boxes.

Back to Sammy Watkins.

Was always my opinion his ankle injuries were sorely mismanaged for whatever reason . I have some conspiracy theories about Marrone as well and his bizarre relations with Whaley and Brandon and EJ Manuel.

But after leaving he has not shown what he honestly was capable of early in his career.

Can he ever return to Clemson form? and man he made some Amazing catches for Bills.

a darned shame it was

I think some ex players of the Bills get some benefit of the doubt. When your thrust into a situation with little or no foundation it might decrease a players chance for success. Players like Sammy and Tyrod.

Then you got guys like Dareus who check out and you know it's on them. Then you got guys like Shady who is elite enough to still get some production on a sub par offense. 

As next season progresses we will have more evidence to speculate on. It's good fun. 

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Watkins was just one of an endless list of players the Bills misused. Hopefully such asshattery is in the past under McBeane.

painfully and admittedly

my perception as well.

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Do some research and stop regurgitating the same ole takes. Go back and look at Watkins production against top tier cornerbacks. Get back to me.

Great take. I blame Sammy. Not EJ, not Orton, not Tyrod, not Goff (who was worse than EJ as rookie).  

I trust bitter Bills fans’ opinions over McVay and Andy Reid.  Our offense easily replaced Sammy and was a lot of fun to watch last year.  I expect it to be even more exciting this year.  

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I never suggested the greatest show on turf. I think a 1000 plus yard season with 75 plus receptions would've been likely. As I said, him and Tyrod had chemistry and considering the other awful options at WR on the roster Watkins would've got his targets, something he didn't get in LA. 

I agree this regime wouldn't have paid him. But then again I don't think this regime likes to pay receivers if Carolina is any indication. I guess I would say I just disagree with not paying him. He would certainly help our situation now in helping develop a young QB in Allen. 

Nah I'm fine. Ive watched Sammy play. He's good. Your takes aren't.?

Don't agree on this point.

He was and inconsistent route runner. Never a timing WR was he.
Not as bad as Stevie bad along those same lines.

He made plays after the ball was in the air. damned good one too.
This offense and young QBs likely need consistent play and depenadable route running more than  a playmaker to develop their craft.

I could be wrong with the last sentence because a playmaker could make a QB look better than he is. to me that is not honest development. that was chucking the ball and trusting your pass Catcher. Just like Tyrod was doing after Watkins " get me the ball " moment. He did and he did as well.

37 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Back to Sammy Watkins.

a darned shame it was

When Sammy left, he had similar numbers to Julio at the same stages of their career.  And I don’t think we had exactly had Matt Ryan throwing him the ball.

i think people forget how receiver is the most dependent position in football.  ODell Beckham isn’t the same player if the Bills draft him and he’s plays in our high school offenses.

our offense looks like it is going to be really bad. It was bad last year.  We have zero speed.  

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Most did NOT love it. Some even loathed the pick. 
we hoped it was a great move.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great take. I blame Sammy. Not EJ, not Orton, not Tyrod, not Goff (who was worse than EJ as rookie).  

I trust bitter Bills fans’ opinions over McVay and Andy Reid.  Our offense easily replaced Sammy and was a lot of fun to watch last year.  I expect it to be even more exciting this year.  

CTE?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

Don't agree on this point.

He was and inconsistent route runner. Never a timing WR was he.
Not as bad as Stevie bad along those same lines.

He made plays after the ball was in the air. damned good one too.
This offense and young QBs likely need consistent play and depenadable route running more than  a playmaker to develop their craft.

I could be wrong with the last sentence because a playmaker could make a QB look better than he is. to me that is not honest development. that was chucking the ball and trusting your pass Catcher. Just like Tyrod was doing after Watkins " get me the ball " moment. He did and he did as well.

We didn’t use him right.  Sammy was amazing in college at screens and slants. We Rarely threw those to him.  Stupid Miami feeds Landry, a guy a lot less physically talented than Sammy, the ball.  

32 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I think some ex players of the Bills get some benefit of the doubt. When your thrust into a situation with little or no foundation it might decrease a players chance for success. Players like Sammy and Tyrod.

Then you got guys like Dareus who check out and you know it's on them. Then you got guys like Shady who is elite enough to still get some production on a sub par offense. 

As next season progresses we will have more evidence to speculate on. It's good fun. 

it IS good fune my friend for sure. I like your attitude

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

When Sammy left, he had similar numbers to Julio at the same stages of their career.  And I don’t think we had exactly had Matt Ryan throwing him the ball.

i think people forget how receiver is the most dependent position in football.  ODell Beckham isn’t the same player if the Bills draft him and he’s plays in our high school offenses.

our offense looks like it is going to be really bad. It was bad last year.  We have zero speed.  

We have some. More importantly i sure hope we have someone who can actually catch the ball on a fly or go route. One on one coverage will happen : )

and our fast guy can stay healthy. Should we talk about Glass Goodwind or Jump Catch whatever his name was Nix found for the Bills.
Catch and or YAC and i will be delighted regardless of 40 times.

agree about dependent position
 there is another argument about sack stat between Hughes and Lawson last year.

Team game.

WRs need to put the ball away and move the markers. just do that and leave the rest to play calling.

Try to feel better about the Off Biscuit , please ?

I feel you , but tis the off  season and hope should be plentiful about now !

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We didn’t use him right.  Sammy was amazing in college at screens and slants. We Rarely threw those to him.  Stupid Miami feeds Landry, a guy a lot less physically talented than Sammy, the ball.  

no question. I recall most of us yelling all season 'Get him  some damned space to run with it "

He is the king of YAC in College. using the  plays you just mentioned

Edited by 3rdand12

Jared Goff improved over last season, sure. But Gurley ran the show. Gurley runs that offense so who cares what Watkins says about Goff as he's implying more about working with his new QB. It's not like he's saying this leaving the Packers. 

Todd Gurley had 788 yards receiving and we'd be griping about Goff checking down too much. 

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Jared Goff improved over last season, sure. But Gurley ran the show. Gurley runs that offense so who cares what Watkins says about Goff as he's implying more about working with his new QB. It's not like he's saying this leaving the Packers. 

Todd Gurley had 788 yards receiving and we'd be griping about Goff checking down too much. 

Gurley 12.6 YPR

Davante Adams 12.0 YPR

Not exactly checking down.

29 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Gurley 12.6 YPR

Davante Adams 12.0 YPR

I watched every game. The vast majority of the passes he caught were swing passes or dump offs, and then he either had a huge lane and/or he made great runs and broke tackles or made guys miss. It's not like they were sending him out on 15-20 yard patterns very often or even targeted him that much. McVay ran an incredible offense.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I watched every game. The vast majority of the passes he caught were swing passes or dump offs, and then he either had a huge lane and/or he made great runs and broke tackles or made guys miss. It's not like they were sending him out on 15-20 yard patterns very often or even targeted him that much. McVay ran an incredible offense.

I watched the Rams as well, the previous poster said people would complain about checking down. No one in their right mind complains about that kind of efficiency. Yes, McVay is a wizard. 

Gurley's the second leading receiver for Goff that year. And he deserved the targets was an absolute stud. But he's getting YAC on passing plays when he's not being the Rams bell cow on carries, he's not lining up out wide and running corner routes lol. Call it whatever you want, not a checkdown.. sure, it's a short pass to your best player for some easy yards. Good on Goff and McVay for getting that done. Pretty sure Watkins is okay with a QB looking his way more often and not being a rental WR.

41 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Gurley 12.6 YPR

Davante Adams 12.0 YPR

^