Sammy Watkins classes it up on his way out of LA

Rigotz

1 hour ago, Bill_with_it said:

No one is revisiting anything. He wasn’t the number one receiver for the bills sinc 2015. He wasn’t the number wine receiver for the rams last year. Sammy hasn’t been a number one receiver for two years those are the facts. Once again all of this is based off of assumption on a huge contract.

I understand he’s talented. You should start focusing on what he has produced. I’m sure Sammy realizes that now seeing how he’s on his 3rd team. 

I challenge you to find a depth chart from 2016, when Sammy was on the field, that does not list him as the #1WR.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is exactly as I surmised with the Rams underestimating the market.

"The Rams took a calculated risk, choosing to franchise tag safety Lamarcus Joyner rather than receiver Sammy Watkins.

The plan was to continue to pursue Watkins with the hope that demand for his services on the free-agent market would not put him out of reach.

The market has spoken."

52 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

???????

Brandon Cooks is a very good player!  They had to shell out more for him (in terms of years; the per-year numbers are the same) because they failed to re-sign Watkins. They also *traded* for him, and had to give up a first to get him. That trade was done partly out of desperation (as the LA Times reported, they misjudged the exploding market for WRs this offseason) because they are built to win now and are going to have to face off against a vastly improved 49ers team this season plus a Seattle team that will pretty much always get to 9 wins given who their qb is. Anyway, two players can both be really good, you know. 62.5 percent of Watkins salary is guaranteed, and 60.4 percent of Cooks' is guaranteed. Watkins will go on the open market again at age 27 in three years, and if he produces, he will make a lot more money in five years time than Cooks makes in his five years. 

From the same LA story:

"It would have cost the Rams nearly $16 million to put the franchise tag on Watkins..."

The Rams already knew the ball park salary what a top WR was going to get paid in FA. The Rams could have slapped the franchise tag on Watkins, and paid him roughly the same he is getting paid now.

They chose not to.

"The plan was to continue to pursue Watkins with the hope that demand for his services on the free-agent market would not put him out of reach."

It's beginning to sound like the Rams did not think Sammy was worth $16M/yr, and were hoping other teams felt the same way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

As I've said elsewhere, I'm guessing that Benjamin's 40 time is now in the 4.9 neighborhood. I'd bet good money that Charles Clay is faster than him.

There is no way that Benjamin runs a 4.9 forty.

He doesn't lose .03 seconds at 27 years old while still in his prime.   

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

As I've said elsewhere, I'm guessing that Benjamin's 40 time is now in the 4.9 neighborhood. I'd bet good money that Charles Clay is faster than him.

40 times...pffft. Get back to me when Watkins makes this catch over Sherman and Thomas in their primes.

kn

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Sammy Watkins trade up and pick goes down as one of the worst draft picks in Bills history. BUST!

Not even close to the worst.

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

Not even close to the worst.

Not the worst but one of the worst considering what we gave up for him and who was still left on the board where we picked with the original pick (Odell Beckham, Khalil Mack ect.)

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There is no way that Benjamin runs a 4.9 forty.

He doesn't lose .03 seconds at 27 years old while still in his prime.   

His knees are big, big problems. He looked slow as molasses last year.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

40 times...pffft. Get back to me when Watkins makes this catch over Sherman and Thomas in their primes.

kn

No arguing with that; that's what he's good at. He's huge. But he simply can't beat anyone deep. Throwing it up for grabs like that will result in a completion 1 time out of 4, an INC 2 times out of 4, and an INT 1 time out of 4. 

56 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

How is someone slow as molasses beat Stephon Gilmore at the 5 to the back of the endzone in what should have been a TD?

It was at the 5 so that required burst.  He didn’t out jump him or jump at all, he has him beat by a step.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He took a knock last year week 3, required surgery. I would guess that contributed to his lack of pace. I won't deny that the knee injuries are a concern with him, but iirc he wasn't injured much if at all at Florida State and the tear in 2015 was a freak preseason noncontact accident. ACLs just happen sometimes, and it's not uncommon to damage meniscus in the same knee at some point. I wouldn't say 'his knees are big, big problems' just yet...but I'd allow his right knee may be cause for concern going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1