Sammy Watkins classes it up on his way out of LA

Rigotz

I'm not hating on Sammy, but he's a young man that has gotten an extraordinary amount of attention. He'll grow out of it, I hope. In the meantime, if he is licking his wounds from being turned away in Buffalo and LA. Maybe this is just what he needed. We all know what he's capable when healthy and fully motivated. He could be scary good if he gets his head screwed on straight and there's still plenty of time for him to make that happen.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:41 AM, formerlyofCtown said:

Julio Jones says hello.

Julio Jones is a bigger, faster, better athlete. 

Why do you and other Bills fans do this? You post stuff like Tom Brady says hello, Antonio Brown says hello, like it means something to the here and now. 

They have nothing to do with the Bills. 4 years in, on his 3rd team, I think it’s fair to call Sammy Watkins an underachiever/disappointment. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why do you and other Bills fans do this? You post stuff like Tom Brady says hello, Antonio Brown says hello, like it means something to the here and now. 

They have nothing to do with the Bills. 4 years in, on his 3rd team, I think it’s fair to call Sammy Watkins an underachiever/disappointment. 

The “says hello” thing is pretty obnoxious, I agree. Because it’s usually pointing to some outlier and means nothing. I didn’t follow this thread enough to go back and see what this one was referencing, but the 6th rd pick “Tom Brady says hello” is the worst followed closely by the QB who sits on the bench for years and then becomes a HOF “Aaron Rogers says hello” ?

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If you read the last line of the post I responded to, you will see what I meant.  They said these injuries don't seem to get better.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The “says hello” thing is pretty obnoxious, I agree. Because it’s usually pointing to some outlier and means nothing. I didn’t follow this thread enough to go back and see what this one was referencing, but the 6th rd pick “Tom Brady says hello” is the worst followed closely by the QB who sits on the bench for years and then becomes a HOF “Aaron Rogers says hello” ?

It's usually a response used when someone inaccurately uses the word never or infers that some thing doesn't happen.  I guess it is a little obnoxious though.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

15 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

On the surface one might assume that, but they would be wrong. SW could have stayed with the Rams if he wanted to. Multiple teams were competing for his services with a fairly open checkbook. That doesn’t happen for players who are though of as disappointments to actual NFL coaches, personnel people etc. The Bills trade of Watkins is still a questionable one. He may not yet have achieved the status of a great player, but he’s still very good and I’d love to have him on the Bills roster right now. 

15 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills trade of Watkins is still a questionable one. He may not yet have achieved the status of a great player, but he’s still very good and I’d love to have him on the Bills roster right now.

Watkins is a great raw talent.  If he could take his head out of his ass he would be a dominant WR.  But until that happens he is at best a #3 WR

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

On the surface one might assume that, but they would be wrong. SW could have stayed with the Rams if he wanted to. Multiple teams were competing for his services with a fairly open checkbook. That doesn’t happen for players who are though of as disappointments to actual NFL coaches, personnel people etc. The Bills trade of Watkins is still a questionable one. He may not yet have achieved the status of a great player, but he’s still very good and I’d love to have him on the Bills roster right now. 

LOL.  They got a 2nd round pick -- not a mention a better player -- for the one year he had left on his contract.

16 hours ago, KD in CA said:

LOL.  They got a 2nd round pick -- not a mention a better player -- for the one year he had left on his contract.

They got a second round pick and a player who is no longer on the roster.They had the ability to retain Watkins for at least two seasons and didn’t execute it.  Who is this better player that the Bills received for Watkins? This team is now devoid of WR talent ( and must devote future resources to finding one- that may negate any “ profit” from trading him)  so currently  the trade remains a questionable one. Draft moves and their future  possibilities aside, the fact is the jury is out until there is more concrete information. Your dim view of Watkins doesn’t match up with those of NFL teams, yet it is coloring your view of the trade and it’s merits/ detractions from the Bills current roster.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Watkins is a great raw talent.  If he could take his head out of his ass he would be a dominant WR.  But until that happens he is at best a #3 WR

....think the raw talent is worthy of that type of gamble?..............hmmmmm......

3/13/2018: Signed a three-year, $48 million contract. The deal includes $30 million guaranteed.

18 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

They got a second round pick and a player who is no longer on the roster.They had the ability to retain Watkins for at least two seasons and didn’t execute it.  Who is this better player that the Bills received for Watkins? This team is now devoid of WR talent ( and must devote future resources to finding one- that may negate any “ profit” from trading him)  so currently  the trade remains a questionable one. Draft moves and their future  possibilities aside, the fact is the jury is out until there is more concrete information. Your dim view of Watkins doesn’t match up with those of NFL teams, yet it is coloring your view of the trade and it’s merits/ detractions from the Bills current roster.

The fact that the Bills made the playoffs without him, saved $13M by doing so, got a 2nd rounder for him, and he put up less than 40/yards a game with the Rams suggests the Bills made out better in the deal.  They were never going to re-sign him for $16M/year like the Chefs foolishly did so he would have been lost for at-best an end-of-3rd-round comp pick.

Edited by Doc

47 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

EJ Gaines is better?  We only got him for a year too.

He played better last year than Watkins did and both players were in the last year of their contract.

Once they decided they were never going to break the bank for Watkins, it was a smart move to get as much as possible for him.

30 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

He played better last year than Watkins did and both players were in the last year of their contract.

Once they decided they were never going to break the bank for Watkins, it was a smart move to get as much as possible for him.

It was the only move AFTER they elected to decline his 5th year option.  They could have locked Sammy up for 2 more years or alternatively, picked up the option then deal him with some time remaining on his contract which would command a higher return. 

EJ Gaines is no where near the player Sammy is and Jordan Matthews was never a replacement.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/24/2018 at 11:27 AM, Boatdrinks said:

This is all true however...

We also used that second from him to capitalize on pulling the trigger to draft (what should be both of) our new offensive and defensive captains and EJ played a huge part in getting us to the playoffs... I believe Beane makes that trade solely BECUASE everyone else had such a high view of him (his value was high).  He  KNEW that in order to gamble on keeping Sammy (with the hope that last year or this year upcoming year would validate his draft pedigree) he would be doing so at the risk of one or both of those coming as lost seasons knowing last year was our final with Tyrod and we would not even have what his view of a franchise QB until this year (Allen) and he may not even play! This is all in what would have been Sammy's contract year... 

With that being said, It would have been silly to gamble on everything turning out (as predicted) with Sammy because in doing so we would not be obtaining the pick(s)/player we used for Allen AND Edmunds and we would be doing so at the risk of making a very historically unhealthy Sammy Watkins the face of our franchise at what would have likely been AT LEAST $13million/yr plus (see $15million/r in KC) on a long term deal. I am no NFL GM but that seems like the opposite angle a FO takes when attempting to rebuild the team. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Gaines was a solid player for the whole 12 or so snaps he would get a game before getting hurt..... the guys made of glass. I can only imagine the reaction Watkins would get from fans here if he was doing that. 

Gaines is no where near the player Sammy Watkins is, IMO. I'm interested to see the Rams offense without Watkins this year. 

Gaines didn't cost multiple 1st rounders to get and more than $1.8M for the season.  And the Bills made the playoffs with him whereas they don't with Sammy making over $13M for the season.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

It was the only move AFTER they elected to decline his 5th year option.  They could have locked Sammy up for 2 more years or alternatively, picked up the option then deal him with some time remaining on his contract which would command a higher return. 

EJ Gaines is no where near the player Sammy is and Jordan Matthews was never a replacement.

We got more out of EJ Gaines then we did out of Sammy Watkins

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Gaines didn't cost multiple 1st rounders to get and more than $1.8M for the season.  And the Bills made the playoffs with him whereas they don't with Sammy making over $13M for the season.

Based on the commutative properties of draft picks, Gaines cost multiple first rounders AND a second round pick to acquire and then he was hurt all year.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

We got more out of EJ Gaines then we did out of Sammy Watkins

11 games and 48 tackles?