Sammy Watkins classes it up on his way out of LA

Rigotz

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Sammy just never got it going here in Buffalo and I think it was the right decision to move him when they did.  I'm not going to take anything away from him, he is a talented receiver and has a high ceiling, but with his injury issues, and the price it was going to cost to keep him, getting that 2nd rounder and Gaines was the right move by McBeane.  I think that foot injury is going to plague him his entire career.  Those foot injuries just never seem to get better.

Julio Jones says hello.

7 hours ago, Magox said:

I guess all the other true #1's in this league don't get doubled all the time despite their much better statistics.

The serial habitual defenders and constant excuse givers of his failures are specially astounding given that he is quite the selfish ass.  He has no personality or charisma, he's dumb as a rock, he never endeared himself to the fanbase, he was a crappy teammate, he never ever came close to living up to where we drafted him yet his defenders trip over themselves to constantly provide excuses for all his failings. 

Seems odd to me ?

He's the third highest paid WR in the league. A perennial good team with a great coach just decided to pay him that much. He's still only 25. McVay said a lot of teams offered him a lot of money. Money talks in this league. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I will admit that I may be letting my dislike of Sam the person get in the way of my respect for Sam the player.  However, the great WRs in the history of the game were all doubled.  They all had to play the decoy role.  But they also still got their numbers if they were really the #1 guy on their team.

But Sam didn't even crack 600 yards.  He caught just over half of the balls thrown to him.  The "he was doubled," excuse can't be used forever.  The great WRs STILL catch the ball.

Kupp and Woods both outperformed him.  They each had more yards/game.  More total yards.  And each caught about 65% of their targets.

If Sam was their #1 and the success of the passing game is a big part of what made the Rams so good, then Sam would still be on the Rams, come hell or high water.

They wanted to keep him. Read the article I linked above.  They just decided that because of the offense they run, combined with the fact they are going have to pay Donald and Gurley and their DBs and others big contracts they couldn't afford 16m a year other teams were offering. 

13 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I see nothing wrong with what he said....

I agree, the headline  is a little self-serving by the Rams they also admit in the article that " it’s clear the Rams weren’t willing to pay him as much as the Chiefs were".  So the Chiefs offered two things (young qb to grow with AND $) while the Rams offered one.

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s kinda of pathetic the way some fans hate on ex Bills.  Sammy got traded.  He played with garbage qbs and we never invested in getting him the ball.  Some Bills think he is garbage yet good offensive coach kept bringing him in.

id feel a lot better about Allen if we had Watkins.  Maybe we can get Jordan Matthews back. 

Haha.  Yeah, if Woods was the number 1 receiver and drew number 1 cbs, he would be dominate. Are people serious with this?

and say what you want to about Whaley but we had a receiving core of Watkins, Woods, Hogan, Goodwin, & Clay.  With a good QBs, that’s one of the best in the entire nfl and we just wasted it.

Number 1 receivers dominate whether they are double covered or draw the best corners.

Did Sanu have more production thanJulio Jones?

Did  Ross produce more than AJ Green?

Did Smith Schuster produce more than Antonio brown?

Did Devante Parker produce more than Landry?

Real number 1 receivers draw the tough assignments and PRODUCE better numbers than the number 2 and 3 receivers on the depth chart..

I don’t even think Landry is a real number 1, it’s just to further my point.

About the contract KC gave him?

I personally think it’s ridiculous.

They are of course paying for his high potential that he hasn’t reached in his 4 years so far.

No one has ever doubted his talents. He just can’t consistently produce, and on top of it, he is a headcase and he’s selfish.

There is a reason why he will be on his third team in 5 years 

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's the third highest paid WR in the league. A perennial good team with a great coach just decided to pay him that much. He's still only 25. McVay said a lot of teams offered him a lot of money. Money talks in this league. 

We paid Dareus $100 million. Big contracts don't always work out. I am not surprised he got a big contract, it only takes one team out of 32 willing to overpay. But he's getting paid for potential. For multiple reasons his raw talent has not matched his production. Andy Reid probably believes he can maximize his potential and maybe he will. But I wouldn't want to be the team taking the risk.

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There was a report last week that Watkins has worked his ass off and picked up Andy Reid's complex offense faster than anyone had ever seen before, those that had been with Reid a long time.

Riiight. Those offseason stories are always really true. Given that he has several seasons of history of not being that impressive...I'm gonna go with history.

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is all about him looking forward to developing with Mahomes.  Not sure how you're spinning this into anything negative regarding his time in LA with the Rams and Goff.  Total non story in that regard. 

EXACTLY!!!

The OP is literally spinning this story to a negative in a biased view of Sammy.  He didn't say he didn't have that in LA, he said thats what he was looking for in any new team he chose.  He repeated stated he wanted to stay in LA, however, they were not even close to what KC was offering.  OP wrote this to imply the reason he left was to find a good HC and good young QB...which was not remotely the case of why he left.  He left LA for KC because they both offered him a boat load of money and had a situation he liked with strong staff and young promising QB.

Complete non-story being spun to mean something it doesn't.

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't want to foray fully into this argument as I think Sammy is a very good player.  I don't think he is as good as he thinks he is but who cares about that.

Sam Bradford repeatedly gets paid even though he has proven he is made of glass.  I think Sammy got paid what he did just as much on who he was at the 4th overall pick as he did for how good he actually is.  His lack of production last year should be concerning.  Not enough to say he is terrible but he didn't produce and really hasn't produced much in the NFL yet consistently.  He still has potential and is only 25 but the contract was given (imo) for what they think he will be not what he is or has been.  His reputation as the 4th overall pick with a multitude of excuses for his lack of production led to his contract.

I think KC is a great place for him though.  He can't be doubled there as there are certifiable game breakers in Hill, Hunt, and Kelce already.  Mahomes has been set up for success it will be interesting to see how he does.  Watkins too no more excuses.

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Some fans need to convince themselves Sammy sucks and the Bills are better off without him. 

Meanwhile the Bills WR corps was atrocious without him and still looks to be an overall bad unit with 0 speed and ability to separate. 

i don't think this is the case at all.  i think many fans knew sammy's time here was limited, and that they should at least get something in return from moving on from him.  it's a tough decision, but i think the bills ended up making a right one.  no way would i want this team to spend the money kc did on sammy.  not that sammy's not potentially a great receiver, but i'd like to see him play like one first before giving him that kind of cash.  that being said, good for him for getting paid.

1 minute ago, section122 said:

I don't want to foray fully into this argument as I think Sammy is a very good player.  I don't think he is as good as he thinks he is but who cares about that.

Sam Bradford repeatedly gets paid even though he has proven he is made of glass.  I think Sammy got paid what he did just as much on who he was at the 4th overall pick as he did for how good he actually is.  His lack of production last year should be concerning.  Not enough to say he is terrible but he didn't produce and really hasn't produced much in the NFL yet consistently.  He still has potential and is only 25 but the contract was given (imo) for what they think he will be not what he is or has been.  His reputation as the 4th overall pick with a multitude of excuses for his lack of production led to his contract.

I think KC is a great place for him though.  He can't be doubled there as there are certifiable game breakers in Hill, Hunt, and Kelce already.  Mahomes has been set up for success it will be interesting to see how he does.  Watkins too no more excuses.

It just feels really good to give Sam money.  One GM speaking anonymously said it was euphoric and compared it to heroin.  I Venmo'd Sam $25 last Thursday and I still feel amazing.  You should try it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

It's really all about Mahomes. With Hunt, Kelce, Hill and Watkins they have a ton of weapons. I don't think anyone in the world knows if Mahomes is going to be great, very good, good or not so good this year, his first. I watched him a lot in college. I think they are going to score a lot and he is going to make a lot of plays that drives Andy Reid insane. That's not really going out on a limb of course. But the interesting thing to me is how Reid handles it.

If he neuters Mahomes, which to me would be a huge mistake. Reid is going from a careful, mistake conscious Smith, to a wildly erratic but wildly explosive Mahomes. The Cheifs are going to be one of the interesting teams to watch this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they made a mistake not picking up his team option.

Him and Tyrod had chemistry and was poised for a big year with him last season, IMO.

And I disagree. He played like one in 2015 before hurting his foot. 

Why wouldnt you pay him if he had a big year last season? We have the cap and you pay playmakers. 

Yikes. You couldn’t even build a team of Lincoln Logs. 

• Like (+1) 1