Let's talk about Buffalo's weaponry in the passing game.

njbuff

2 hours ago, artmalibu said:

QB play will be the determining factor, not the guys catching the ball...

Some guy named Brady does pretty well with an odd assortment of characters each year. 

12 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The age of Buffalo's running backs is indeed an issue.  If as some project the Bills' running backs are McCoy, Ivory, Travaris Cadett, and Taiwan Jones, their respective ages right now are 29, 30, 29, and 29.  That does make me a bit nervous.  Appart from the proverbial wall, there is also the isue of injuries.  Bot Cadett and Jones are coming off injuries, and now they are a year older.

With the receivers, it's an issue of question marks.  Kelvin Benjamin, if healthy is a good receiver, I think.  He seems to be both healthy and motivated this season.  Zay Jones may develop in his sophomore year.  Jeremy Kerley is a savvy veteran in the slot, even if he lacks great measurables.  Beyond those three, we don't even have a real good handle on who is going to make the final roster. Reilly and Streater could be pretty good.  McCloud and Proehl have some quickness.  Dupre seems to have some talent.  Who's going to make the team though?  Will they get a chance to compete.?

Robert Foster!

10 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

RBs don't slow down.   They fall off the cliff.  Not saying it is going to happen this year but it can.  As I have stated before, Ivory will not make it out of camp.  He has already fallen off the cliff.

That's wrong, but it sounds good. 

Tomlinson - 1815, 1474, 1110, 730, 914 - looks like slowing down to me

Thurman Thomas -  slowed down - his yards per attempt and yards per reception stayed more or less the same throughout his career, but the number of touches decline.

Emmit Smith - 1397, 1203, 1021, 975, injured, 937.   What cliff?

Frank Gore - 1128, 1106, 967, 1025, 961  - still going after 13 seasons.  

Some fall off quickly, some don't.  

We’re well aware of Zey’s 1st year bumbling, and Holmes has been on all 32 teams (it seems).

Biggest ? for me, besides the rookies, is Tyrod never let us see what anyone else may be able to do. We really don’t know what we have..

Given our now dubious OL situation, a short passing game is so necessary, every opponent will jump the routes. So we still may not know what we have. 

18 hours ago, Rigotz said:

The Bills have the worst passing lineup in the league.

I don't think the Bills even have the worst passing lineup in the AFC East.  Let's compare

Dolphins:

Kenny Stills - meh kind of guy

Danny Amandola - back side of his career

Albert Wilson - he of about 20 catches per year in KC

Devonte Parker - Could be good but slowly moving into bust category

Mike Geseki - Rookie TE, great hands, not an in-line blocker

Dylan Smythe - More blocker then receiver

RB - Nothing to get very excited about

Jets:

Robbie Anderson - Good, speedy, major character issues

Chad Hanson - May be best of the lot down the road

Quincy Enwauwa - Has he lost speed since his injury

Terrelle Pryor - What player are you getting, stud with Browns/bust with Redskins

Who plays TE or RB for this team, thinking I might not stay up all night game planning for Bilal Powell and what lumbering stiff the Jets line up at TE

Patriots:

Julian Edelman - See you Game 5

Jordan Matthews - Could breakout as he is an excellent slot receiver, Edelman may not get his job back

Chris Hogan - Sneaky deep speed, does get open, may be their best deep threat now

Cordelle Patterson - KR and gimmick guy

Phillip Dorsett - Can provide deep threat inconsistent routes and hands

Best TE and RB combo in the NFL

11 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

I have no doubt the WR's will look much better this year simply given the "upgrade" at QB. It'll be less take off an run and more actual passing from our QB this go around. 

I agree.  I'm expecting a passing game with well-designed routes and disciplined route running, as well as a QB who knows the routes and isn't afraid to throw it.  

Benjamin is one of those open-when-he's-covered receivers.  The QBs will always have a target.  

• Like (+1) 1

If you look simply at targets to determine our top three receiving options, you see a trio that's pretty darned good. LeSean McCoy, Charles Clay, and Kelvin Benjamin. Not the best in the league or anything, but certainly not the worst.

After that, you have a bunch of role players. O'Leary is an outlet receiver. One of McCloud, Kerley, or Proehl will be the shifty slot option. Zay Jones is your move-the-chains possession guy. Benjamin, Clay, and Holmes represent the size options in the red zone. The one thing our receiving corps seems to lack right now is established downfield threats. Robert Foster, Malachi Dupre, and Brandon Reilly are all fast dudes, so maybe one of them -- or a late veteran addition -- can provide the speed needed. We'll see.

All in all, I think our receiving corps will provide a decent "by committee" approach. Not world beating, not top 10, but decent. I anticipate the upcoming offseason will bring a ton of offensive changes through free agency and the draft.

Provided they stay relatively healthy... I think the “potential” is there.  

McCoy and Ivory are good receivers out of the backfield.  

We’re good at TE with Clay/O’Leary. 

KB is a #1 type WR. Not elite, but, when healthy, in the group below elite.  Zay Jones clearly has talent, can he put it together in his 2nd year, again, hopefully healthy this time.  I’ve always liked Kerley and think he’s a solid slot guy.  After that, we have a bunch of guys competing for spots, not unlike every other teams 4-6 WR spots.  

New QB & New OC give me reason for optimism.  The potential is there, but that potential hinges on a lot of factors, namely QB play, OC playcalling and health.  

On 6/19/2018 at 2:22 PM, Augie said:

....or just plain ignored while running free. I’m not a Tyrod hater, but....

1/2 of Hotrods picks last year bounced off of Clays hands.

He needs to do a better job catching the football when it hits him in the hands this year.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/19/2018 at 8:15 PM, Augie said:

Some guy named Brady does pretty well with an odd assortment of characters each year. 

I kind of disagree with this. Some guy named Brady has the kind of WRs his offense uses effectively. We often think of good WRs a being the the tall lanky, fast dudes al a Julio Jones, AJ Green, etc.  Their offense doesn t throw fades and back shoulders or jump balls etc.

instead they hit short fast guys on the run. They also do a lot of picks plays. And they have the Gronk.  They have the kind of WRs that work for their offense. They're not conventional, but they're still good, just different IMHO.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Him and Rodgers are the exception. Just about every other QB in the league need playmakers in the passing game to be successful.

Totally.

Look at Atlanta.  They have a "franchise QB".  One of the best. Yet since they got him they have traded up to round one TWICE TO get top shelf WRs. First Julio and they just did it again this year.  

On 6/19/2018 at 3:40 PM, njbuff said:

This is the most under appreciated aspect of what Buffalo brings to the table.

Now...........

The Bills have one of the best RB's in the NFL in Shady. He shows no signs of slowing down as he reaches the dark age for RB's, 30. He is also an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

KB is a legit number one WR when healthy. That's the big question, of course. Will he remain healthy?

Charles Clay is an excellent TE when healthy. Of course, can he stay healthy too?

That is three legitimate weapons in the passing game if they all stay on the field.

And maybe someone else can emerge as a viable target amongst the young WR's. Totally not out of the realm of pooibility.

Because the Bills don't have two established blazers who catch 100 passes a year on the outside, everyone assumes that Buffalo is weak in the passing game.

The Bills are going to be playing a close the the vest type passing game and their weaponry is more than enough to get the job done and win 10 games (if not more).

A severely overlooked aspect of Buffalo's game.

Of course, all bets are off if the injury bug bites.

Benjamin is running a 4.9 40 these days. He is not very good overall and only does one thing well (highpointing and muscling for jump balls). I would not be surprised if Charles Clay is faster than him now, bum knee and all.