Eagles, Bills, Pederson, McD, and Analytics

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/19/buffalo-bills-analytics-luis-guilamo-brandon-beane/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Great article on how the Bills FO and coaching are still behind the times when it comes to analytics and in-game decision-making aggressiveness.

Can you imagine McD going for it in 4th down like Pederson did in the Super Bowl? 

I cant. 

Until the Bills have a modern approach to the game, they will always be also-rans. Here’s hoping our new analytics guy will actually do something this year besides figure out the best ticket pricing for the stadium.

Edited by Domdab99
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fresh from <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBillsWire?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheBillsWire</a><br><br>Much of the NFL is embracing a new, analytics-based approach to the game but are the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a>? <a href="https://t.co/0N4JgTpZRm">https://t.co/0N4JgTpZRm</a></p>&mdash; Rich Kowalski (@ByRichKowalski) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByRichKowalski/status/1009112424325238790?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 19, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great article on how the Bills FO and coaching are still behind the times when it comes to analytics and in-game decision-making aggressiveness.

Can you imagine McD going for it in 4th down like Pederson did in the Super Bowl? 

I cant. 

Until the Bills have a modern approach to the game, they will always be also-rans. Here’s hoping our new analytics guy will actually do something this year besides figure out the best ticket pricing for the stadium.

you've been moaning about MCD since the indy game..... the dude made the playoffs in his first year with what most would agree was limited talent on the team. he's shown plenty of promise. I seriously don't get your gripe with the dude. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Winning football games still comes down to having a franchise quarterback and winning the battle at the line of scrimmage.  I don't think anybody would confuse Tom Coughlin as an innovation/analytical guy.  Yet, he won two Superbowls against the Pats by putting enough pressure on Brady to contain their offense.  He also helped turn the Jaguars around in a hurry (albeit not as the head coach).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/19/buffalo-bills-analytics-luis-guilamo-brandon-beane/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I cant. 

The era to pile on the Bills and constantly be negative without a true justification is over. In your eager attempt to find nits to pick, you fail to see the larger picture and take the positive direction of the team into account. Are the Bills there yet? Well, duh...no. They haven't seriously contended for a title and they haven't brought the Lombardi trophy back to its rightful place at One Bills Drive. But, to fail to see how much traction McD and Beane have gained in moving towards the aforementioned standard of greatness would fail to appreciate the long-trek to get us there. It is not an overnight thing....that was my issue with McVay being named Coach of the Year.

Yes, he deserves the credit for righting the ship and completely changing the production in L.A., without question. But, he already had the franchise QB in place in his first year and that same QB had a year of NFL credit to him when he arrived. He had Todd Gurley, arguably one of the best RBs in the league in his prime, they signed Robert Woods, traded for Sammy Watkins and already had many of the pieces for a good to great Defense. So, IMHO it was much more about Jeff Fisher being stuck in 1990 than it was about McVay's Coaching taking that team to the next level. McD had a serious overhaul to complete and Beane needed every bit of Draft capital to really make the Bills a much deeper roster, not to mention the trades and scouring the NFL for guys like Trent Murphy and the DE from the Giants (Owa-Whose-Your-Mama), and getting guys like Bodine and Newhouse while also getting young talent in Beane's FIRST true Draft as GM. 

Do we need to see how McD does with the team and Beane how he does in a 2nd Off-season to surround their young QB with a young stud RB and another great WR, not to mention bolstering the Offensive line? Yes, to all of it...and with tons of Cap space next year and all their Draft picks (no small feat mind you!), they should get it done with no excuses. But....and this is a giant arse in this conversation....you CANNOT tell me this team isn't currently trending in the upward trajectory toward winning consistently AND they executed that monkey strangling them for the last 18 years. 

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I cant. 

With Tyrod Taylor at the helm? Are you out of your !@#$ing mind? :lol:

Maybe with a modern era franchise QB they'll be able to have a more modern approach to the game. 

Time will tell. 

Keep chewing your nails.

• Like (+1) 2

Lol you guys are hilarious. I’m not being negative, simple posting a link and hoping McD does more than clap his hands a lot. I want a coach with balls who knows the math - or at least, listens to someone who knows the math. 

Its great the Bills made the playoffs, yes, and I’m encouraged with what they have been doing this offseason, and I’m even excited about Allen now. 

But pointing to how the Eagles were successful last year - with a back up at QB - shows that analytics are at least something to think about. 

Running the ball and relying on a good defense will not cut it anymore, unless you’re the Broncos of a few years ago or the 85 Bears. 

I’m excited to see what Dabol brings to the table...but I want innovation, not 1990s strategy. 

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

With Tyrod Taylor at the helm? Are you out of your !@#$ing mind? :lol:

Maybe with a modern era franchise QB they'll be able to have a more modern approach to the game. 

Time will tell. 

Keep chewing your nails.

Yeah, Nick Foles is one helluva franchise QB. 

Edited by Domdab99

This is the kind of BS that so often passes as wisdom in the sports fan world.   Try to follow this:

1.  Who is Rich Kowalski?   Does he know anything about football?  Has he ever been an NFL coach?   A college coach?   

2.  What does he actually say?    He says the Eagles coach admitted that he uses analytics.    He says the Patriots have an analytics coach.

3.   From that, he concludes that the Bills are behind the curve because, why?   Because those two teams were in the Super Bowl and the Bills weren't?

4.  Did he do any investigation into the 20 teams that didn't make the playoffs in 2017?    Do they use analytics?   If yes, then maybe it's better not use analytics.   That's as logical as saying you should use them because the two Super Bowl teams use them.   How do we know the Eagles' use of analytics contributed to their success last year?

The point is that if RIch Kowalski visited 32 pro football teams with the team logos masked so he couldn't tell which teams he was visiting, I doubt, I seriously doubt, that he could tell which teams are using analytics well and benefitting, which teams aren't using analytics well.   

Linking success of a franchise to the amorphous notion of analytics is like suggesting you can tell whether a QB is good based on how many times he throws over the middle.  

5 minutes ago, transient said:

That's what constitutes a great article?  The subjective ramblings of Rich Kowalski on analytics were a bit ironic, at best.  That article is poo masquerading as words.

I'm not sure you have it right.   My analytics editor has studied the data for over 40,000 uses of the word "poo," and I think my characterization of the article as BS is more accurate than calling it just poo.   And nothing is more important than analytics.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not sure you have it right.   My analytics editor has studied the data for over 40,000 uses of the word "poo," and I think my characterization of the article as BS is more accurate than calling it just poo.   And nothing is more important than analytics.  

What did you go through all of that trouble for?  Didn't you read the article?  Analytics is just the word that you use to justify the hand waving that precedes saying stuff.

Edited by transient

6 minutes ago, transient said:

What did you go through all of that trouble for?  Didn't you read the article?  Analytics is just the word that you use to justify the hand waving that precedes saying stuff.

Well put.

Actually, I'm all for analytics.   More data is almost always better than less data.   But analytics doesn't explain why the Patriots are better than the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

USA Today Sports??:doh:

I remember the “bad old days” when they had a couple sentences on each team one day a week and I’d go to Chili’s for nachos and all the Bills news you could get living in the south. That was right after the dinosaurs and right before we started driving remote control cars on Mars. 

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Lol you guys are hilarious. I’m not being negative, simple posting a link and hoping McD does more than clap his hands a lot. I want a coach with balls who knows the math - or at least, listens to someone who knows the math. 

Its great the Bills made the playoffs, yes, and I’m encouraged with what they have been doing this offseason, and I’m even excited about Allen now. 

But pointing to how the Eagles were successful last year - with a back up at QB - shows that analytics are at least something to think about. 

Running the ball and relying on a good defense will not cut it anymore, unless you’re the Broncos of a few years ago or the 85 Bears. 

I’m excited to see what Dabol brings to the table...but I want innovation, not 1990s strategy. 

Yeah, Nick Foles is one helluva franchise QB. 

At least he's not afraid to throw the rock more than 5 yards downfield. 

I didn’t read all the responses on this post but analytics sounds like moneyball to me. It probably is but then again I’m not that smart. What I do know is that defenses wins games and franchise QBs win championsips and hopefully that is what is happening in Billsville as we speak. I won’t discount the value of analytics, I believe in progress, but I think that it should be viewed as an additive, not a foundation.