Greg Gabriel’s Negative Take on Josh Allen and Trumaine Edmunds (April)

26 minutes ago, eball said:

Umm, ok.

Wyoming record in the four years pre-Allen:  4-8, 5-7, 4-8, 2-10

Wyoming record in two seasons with Allen:  8-6, 8-5

So I guess that team wasn’t that bad then? :) They also got a new head coach who won a national championship at NDSU too.

look man, I pray you’re right. I want to be wrong, I hate this feeling.  Of the top qbs in this draft, he was the one I least wanted. I hoped the Jets would draft him.  The games I saw him play, he looked like your typical mid round project qb with upside.  It worries me that the Bills spent their highest draft pick on a qb that MWC coaches didn’t even put on an all league team.  

But i sincerely hope you’re right and I’m wrong. 

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The real question is will Gabrielle step up if he is wrong on these players?  NO HE WILL NOT

Just like a lot of poster's here who air on the side of negativity consistantly......its easy to do that because you wont be wrong often.....it doesnt make you smarter.

Does any of the media do this?  Did Mel Kiper, a huge Allen guy, say he was wrong about Jimmy Clausen?  Or Mayock who put Gabbert over Newton?

its why the media is a joke. All they do is criticize and take no accountability.  If McBeane are wrong, they are out of jobs and we as fans have to hope again for the next answer. 

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

McDermott and Bean will live or die by their opinions. Greg Gabriel can be wrong and he can just come up with new ones.

I don't think this draft will determine their fate.  Didn't spend much for him/them and made the playoffs last year.  They have a few years worth of rope to hang themselves.

9 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I stop reading/listening when I hear the Boller comparison to Josh Allen. It is just such a lazy analysis over-simplified because both QBs had strong arms but poor completion % coming out of college. These two are/were VERY different prospects.

It is way too early to project whether or not Josh Allen will reach his potential in the NFL, but he was genuinely in the discussion to be the #1 overall pick in the draft. That was never the case with Boller.

The guy who drafted Boller compared Josh Allen to Boller.

I think it's okay.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I don't think this draft will determine their fate.  Didn't spend much for him/them and made the playoffs last year.  They have a few years worth of rope to hang themselves.

That was one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory. It was a fluke more than anything.  They bought themselves time but I still think there is a lot to prove.  

Striking out on a qb and seeing guys like Watson, Rosen, or Mahomes become franchise guys would look terrible.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I just meant McD & Beane's decisions have consequences while Gabriel's opinions don't.

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So I guess that team wasn’t that bad then? :) They also got a new head coach who won a national championship at NDSU too.

You can't have it both ways, Biscuit.  The new coach was 2-10 before Allen got there.  You posted that an elite QB should elevate his team, and Allen went 16-9 with a team devoid of any NFL talent.

Just stop trying to prove yourself right and let this play out.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think it’s way too simple to say Rodgers had instincts.  He sat behind a HOF qb for 3 years.  If he played and struggled as a rookie, like most qbs, ripple would have given up on him after a season like they do with most qbs.

facr is, most fans are patient enough to truly go through the process of developing a qb.  Of course with how much the rules help qbs now, it makes the transition easier than ever.

Obviously, Aaron Rodgers' success is connected to a lot of factors, not just instinct.  He's athletic and smart too.  The way Green Bay brought him along worked for him.  That brings up the whole debate of whether it's better to play a rookie QB right away or let him sit and learn.  I don't know the answer to that, but my suspicion is that it might be different for different QBs.  That's a different issue however.  I do think besides everything else Aaron Rodgers has going for him, I do think he's pretty instinctive, which was to point of my post.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:22 AM, I am the egg man said:

This Gabriel can flap his wings all he wants ranting his angelic knowledge of football and most won't know him or cares who he is.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:11 AM, BuffaloRush said:

For anyone that has never heard it before, this dude Pat Moran has a great podcast called Moran-Alytics.  I guess that has been a blogger in Buffalo for nearly a decade and has the change to cover the Bills and Sabres for a few smaller publications.

His podcast is focused largely on Bills and NFL football and he brings on many members of the Buffalo media and former players as well.

I went through his earlier archives and listened to former NFL scout and WNY native Greg Gabriel in April just before the NFL Draft.  I've followed Greg on Twitter for a few years until he blocked me for disagreeing him. If you follow him, you know he is very much opinionated and outspoken.  He was a staunch critic of Tyrod and a supporter of Peterman, which surprisingly died down after the start in San Diego.  Go figure....

Anyway a few months ago, Greg was not a fan of Josh Allen or the majority of the QB's in this years draft.  He said that all of the QB's are "overrated" and thinks it's possible that all but 1 will bust.  He gives Baker Mayfield the best chance at succeeding.  He is unsure about Darnold and feels that Josh Rosen lacks the intangibles to be successful.    

(Around 30 minutes) When Allen came up, he pretty much ripped him as a QB prospect.  He said that Josh will be another Kyle Boller or Blaine Gabbert.  A strong-armed QB who lacks the accuracy and mechanics to be successful.  He said that Allen should have had, at minimum a 64% completion percentage in his conference and probably higher given the competition. 

Greg believes that these types of risks are the ones that get coaches and GM's fired.  If he were the Bills he would have drafted Mason Rudolph and then taken another QB as well.  He actually thought he might be a top 10 pick!!!!!

(Around 36 minutes) When the discussion turns to LB, Greg feels that the Bills would love Roquon Smith and compared him to Luke Kuechley.  He did mention Trumaine Edmunds but said that he lacked the instincts at MLB.  He said that Edmunds reacts instead of anticipating and is basically an OLB playing MLB.  He recommended Vander Esch as a better fit.  

If you listen to this interview - you will hear that Greg was very opinionated on these players before the draft in April.  I'm not sure if he has changed his stance since then, but it's clear he is not a fan.

Maybe he is right, but maybe there is a reason he is no longer in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

If you really want a chuckle go look up Greg Gabriel's tweets on draft night.  Instead of killing Beane, he praised him for not giving up too many assets and still getting a QB.  For whatever reason, Greg G loves this group of coaches/front offices, he gives them a pass on everything.  

We drafted a QB he hated, and yet Beane was smart for not giving up too many assets, I mean that doesnt make any !@#$ing sense to me considering the Cards gave up even less....

Hey all, Wyoming Cowboys fan turned Bills fan (with the draft of Allen). It is interesting reading opinions on Allen from your perspective. I wanted to pipe in an give a perspective from a guy that follows Wyoming very closely. First off I will say that there is obviously no certainty that Allen will end up being a great NFL QB.

With that being said, here are a few observations to think about. 1. In the Iowa game alone there were, off the top of my head, 4 or more easy perfectly thrown balls that ended up being  drops, one in the end zone, and the others were complete drive killers. If the receivers catch those balls, not only is it a closer game but Allen's completion percentage goes above 65% (the magic number right?). 2. Before Allen got to Wyoming (and in the two games at the end of the year last year when he was injured), this team had a very hard time winning, as proven by losing to the worst team in FBS, San Jose State at the end of last year. Allen really made that offense go. 3. This may be the most frustrating thing as a fan, play calling. The O coordinator often times called running plays on first and second down (with a horrid running game), only to have the offense in third and long situations. That, along with an O line that made him run for his life, and try to make things happen, probably made up for some forced throws that didn't move the chains. 4. The lack of a running game last year. As football fans, you all know the importance of having a successful running game and how that opens up the passing game. This was one of, if not the worst running offenses, I have ever seen at Wyoming. 5. There were certainly times where Allen missed a throw he should have made, or forced a throw he shouldn't have, but the guy absolutely won Wyoming more games than he ever lost. The dude is a competitor and has that "it" factor. 

It is a little frustrating to hear different opinions about completion percentage and playing against weaker opponents etc. Carson Wentz played against weaker opponents but he was driving a Cadillac of that division. In recent history the QBs that have been drafted from Oklahoma, USC et.al. have tanked for the most part. They also were driving Cadillac's in addition to running spread systems. Allen ran a pro system in college and I do believe that gives him a leg up.  In 2016 Allen had a lot more weapons and really had a lot more productive year, but was still lining up behind a poor offensive line. 

But to reiterate, there is no guarantee the he will be the savior of the Bills, but he has just as good of chance as anyone in my opinion. Time will tell.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BigHornWY said:

Hey all, Wyoming Cowboys fan turned Bills fan (with the draft of Allen). It is interesting reading opinions on Allen from your perspective. I wanted to pipe in an give a perspective from a guy that follows Wyoming very closely. First off I will say that there is obviously no certainty that Allen will end up being a great NFL QB.

With that being said, here are a few observations to think about. 1. In the Iowa game alone there were, off the top of my head, 4 or more easy perfectly thrown balls that ended up being  drops, one in the end zone, and the others were complete drive killers. If the receivers catch those balls, not only is it a closer game but Allen's completion percentage goes above 65% (the magic number right?). 2. Before Allen got to Wyoming (and in the two games at the end of the year last year when he was injured), this team had a very hard time winning, as proven by losing to the worst team in FBS, San Jose State at the end of last year. Allen really made that offense go. 3. This may be the most frustrating thing as a fan, play calling. The O coordinator often times called running plays on first and second down (with a horrid running game), only to have the offense in third and long situations. That, along with an O line that made him run for his life, and try to make things happen, probably made up for some forced throws that didn't move the chains. 4. The lack of a running game last year. As football fans, you all know the importance of having a successful running game and how that opens up the passing game. This was one of, if not the worst running offenses, I have ever seen at Wyoming. 5. There were certainly times where Allen missed a throw he should have made, or forced a throw he shouldn't have, but the guy absolutely won Wyoming more games than he ever lost. The dude is a competitor and has that "it" factor. 

It is a little frustrating to hear different opinions about completion percentage and playing against weaker opponents etc. Carson Wentz played against weaker opponents but he was driving a Cadillac of that division. In recent history the QBs that have been drafted from Oklahoma, USC et.al. have tanked for the most part. They also were driving Cadillac's in addition to running spread systems. Allen ran a pro system in college and I do believe that gives him a leg up.  In 2016 Allen had a lot more weapons and really had a lot more productive year, but was still lining up behind a poor offensive line. 

But to reiterate, there is no guarantee the he will be the savior of the Bills, but he has just as good of chance as anyone in my opinion. Time will tell.  

Always good to see a new Bill's fan.  Welcome aboard.

We all (or almost all) hope the highlighted is true.

So far, I think the coaches are bringing him around the right way.

30 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I am so tired of hearing about completion percentage. That is about the worst stat to judge a QB by. Here is a link to the best completion percentages by college QBs....see how many of them were quality NFL QB's.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-career.html

....huh?....why?....you mean to tell me if a QB (dink 'n dunk??) completes 95% of his passes for 65 yards and we lose 45-10, we cannot make the 95% THE focal point of the game??...it is certainly more impressive than the final score and exemplifies QB prowess, right?..............

On 6/22/2018 at 2:57 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....huh?....why?....you mean to tell me if a QB (dink 'n dunk??) completes 95% of his passes for 65 yards and we lose 45-10, we cannot make the 95% THE focal point of the game??...it is certainly more impressive than the final score and exemplifies QB prowess, right?..............

Tell me a QB that does that for his college career.  I'll wait.

I agree with him on Edmunds. I think Edmunds will get by with coaching and athleticism and think he will develop those instincts as he's young... I do think their will be a learning curve for him. He is a natural SLB.

He's got a very lazy take on Allen and I don't think he did his homework at the time of that take.  I feel like Allen has everything he needs to be a franchise qb and if he wants it bad enough he'll get it. It seems like he does want it bad too.